Good supply for preamp, Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SY said:

"Wrong" is such a harsh term:)

Honestly, it's best to know as much as possible and keep learning stuff that you "don't need to know," because you don't really KNOW what it is you need to know until you know it and find that, surprisingly, you need it. Or something like that.

If you learn stuff you don't need, you don't have a time to learn what you need. That's how I go about it. And I still don't have enough time to use what I already know.;)

Peter, it's a tricky statement, which for the little I know you, it is not true.
I guess it applies to us all, there is simply not enough time to know in depth everything there is to know about everything, unless you are SE that is;), so we'll never know what we really need to know until it hits us.
However, many of the interesting threads on this website, including the gainclone fever have originated from your NOT knowing and your WANTING to know more.
What I am saying there is no need to be self deprecating after all you put into this place just to win an argument with Fred.

I am a practical man myself, I enjoy building, the anticipation to hear what it sounds like, much more than sitting down at the computer with a simulator and never get anything done.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Honestly, it's best to know as much as possible and keep learning stuff that you "don't need to know," because you don't really KNOW what it is you need to know until you know it and find that, surprisingly, you need it. Or something like that.

That's a philosophy I try to adhere to as well.
OTOH I feel this is something you need to have had the fortune to be brought up with and agree with.

It's understandable that not everyone feels the same way and doesn't even respond to the same way of education.

Anything in daily life you can do yourself will eventually save you time and expenses and that applies to plumbing just the same as it would to a complex electronic cicruit... to stay on topic.;)

Too bad life so short, ;)

grataku said:
I am a practical man myself, I enjoy building, the anticipation to hear what it sounds like, much more than sitting down at the computer with a simulator and never get anything done.

I agree completely. I have learnt most of what I know about audio electronics via this site, seeing something interesting, checking datasheets and the web, building it, watching it blow up, then fixing it :)

Sims just hold no attraction for me, I don't have time to learn the software, track down models and work out if they are correct, or indeed buy a PC compatable , as most programs only seem to run on Windows or have very strange text based interfaces. Life's too short!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sims just hold no attraction for me, I don't have time to learn the software, track down models and work out if they are correct, or indeed buy a PC compatable , as most programs only seem to run on Windows or have very strange text based interfaces.

LOL...same here really.
Boy, when I sometimes look at the powersupplies these proggies spit out I really start to wonder...

Moreover, what would that program possibly know about audio anyway?

Cheers, ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
fdegrove said:
Anything in daily life you can do yourself will eventually save you time and expenses

I don't think so. I have no desire to learn dry cleaning, gardening, home repairs, working on cars, landscaping, etc. so I pay for those who are better and more efficient at those jobs to do them for me. That way, I can focus on things that I like to do and enjoy doing.

It would have costed me more time and money to do them myself. This is such a sophisticated world and it pays to specialize in things that you do best and have a competitive edge.

so you think we should jump up and down Peter's back insisting that he learn things that he doesn't want to or need to learn?

"What would you think of someone who just wants to get by doing the minimum?'- from Office Space (for the record, I have over 37 pieces of flair)

I have no desire to learn dry cleaning, gardening, home repairs, working on cars, landscaping, etc. so I pay for those who are better and more efficient at those jobs to do them for me.

That principle actually had a name attached to it, didn't it? I dimly recall this from some econ books I tried not to read.

Attachments

• flares1.jpg
    flares1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 228
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CALLING ALL MARTIANS STUPID....

Hi,

and I think all of us should respect your rights to do that, as that boss of mine had suggested,

And what did that boss say?

Of course, as one of my ex-bosses said; every one has the right to remain stupid.

From which any person with an IQ higher than 10 will conclude that you suggest that Peter Daniel is stupid for not wanting to learn.Which is not what he said in the first place anyway.

Maybe some bankers should concentrate on just that: banking.:cannotbe:

That bankers entertain a hobby of making snide and twisted remarks is beyond my comprhension of that profession.:rolleyes:
Seems the entry level to that has dropped no end at the other end of the pond, or has it?

Cheers,;)

pinkmouse said:

I agree completely. I have learnt most of what I know about audio electronics via this site, seeing something interesting, checking datasheets and the web, building it, watching it blow up, then fixing it :)

Sims just hold no attraction for me, I don't have time to learn the software, track down models and work out if they are correct, or indeed buy a PC compatable , as most programs only seem to run on Windows or have very strange text based interfaces. Life's too short!

I didn't say I _hate_ simulations. Henrik got me started on that and I am having a good time late at night when I am not allowed to use the drillpress.
However, you won't see me turning into a "jcx" type diyer anytime soon, that's not my main focus and not what I was trained to do.
Eventually I would like to be able to build something original I haven't seen presented here or on some other site, with Fred's seal of approval and blessings of course ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: CALLING ALL MARTIANS STUPID....

fdegrove said:
From which any person with an IQ higher than 10 will conclude that you suggest that Peter Daniel is stupid for not wanting to learn.Which is not what he said in the first place anyway.

you are free to interpret it whatever way you like. and I am in no position to tell if your IQ is above or below 10 but I have a pretty good idea if you have to ask me.

fdegrove said:
That bankers entertain a hobby of making snide and twisted remarks is beyond my comprhension of that profession.:rolleyes:
Cheers,;)

combining that with the way you interpreted my statement just reinforces my impression of your iQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.