Good supply for preamp, Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
millwood said:
Peter, i was only excited to help you make a buck or two since selling $5K chip amps don't seem that easy.

Or well, I forgot that we are dealing with people who make big claims but have little guts to show for.

millwood,

Could you pls explain how and what this last scentence contributes to the advancement of audio? I thought you agreed to a different style after that prolonged millwood-daniel flap where the moderators had to step in?

Jan Didden

Counterproductive, too. Millwood, you have a position for which I have not a small amount of sympathy. It's a strong argument with all evidence and logic on its side. And yet, you undermine it badly by not sticking to the facts and taking cheap personal shots.

You're making ME look bad here. Not to mention fraying some of the forum rules.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
janneman said:

millwood,

Could you pls explain how and what this last scentence contributes to the advancement of audio?

sure. I am not a believer of anything until it is proven in an objective way. and in my view, a lot of efforts and resources are spent on "tweaking" that for the most part remain unproven. Things like resistor sounds, cap sound, etc.

If we can prove or disprove that those tweaks make a audible difference, we can then focus our efforts on the real issues of audio and presummably advance our collective understanding at a faster path without being distracted by snake oil salesmen.

Someone pointed this out a while ago and I think it is worth repeating now: unlike other fields that have seen vast advances, audio pretty much remained unchanged for the last twenty or thirty years. and in my view, the proliferation of snake oil has a lot to do with that.

If we can prove or disprove that those tweaks make a audible difference

It can't be disproved. Give up on that idea. If something looks ridiculous and it's offered without evidence, it can be safely ignored until such time as evidence is forthcoming. Note the word "ignored."

audio pretty much remained unchanged for the last twenty or thirty years. and in my view, the proliferation of snake oil has a lot to do with that.

Look at the bright side. If true, that gives you a nice, big, fertile, and uncrowded field to work in.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

audio pretty much remained unchanged for the last twenty or thirty years.

That's simply not true.

Better active and passive compononents are released all the time.

To take but a simple example: if you look at the ESR figures of electrolytic caps you'll notice a marked improved over what was common in the mid-seventies.

Cheers,;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
millwood said:

sure. I am not a believer of anything until it is proven in an objective way. and in my view, a lot of efforts and resources are spent on "tweaking" that for the most part remain unproven. Things like resistor sounds, cap sound, etc.

If we can prove or disprove that those tweaks make a audible difference, we can then focus our efforts on the real issues of audio and presummably advance our collective understanding at a faster path without being distracted by snake oil salesmen.

Someone pointed this out a while ago and I think it is worth repeating now: unlike other fields that have seen vast advances, audio pretty much remained unchanged for the last twenty or thirty years. and in my view, the proliferation of snake oil has a lot to do with that.

I fully agree to the above. However, I note you didn't reply to my question, although you give that impression.

As SY noted above, you detract a lot from your credibility with those personal attacks. The fact that someone attacks you personal (or that you perceive it this way) doesn't mean you absolutely 100% have to retaliate in kind, now, does it? Don't you understand that your own way of addressing people provokes these kind of responses? If not, how come that it is always the same people who get involved in mud slinging?

Jan Didden

millwood said:

So UNTRUE. I don't know how old are you but I remember sneaking in hi end shops in the late 70s when I was a teen while other people where listening I remember some pretty crappy sound by today's high end standards.

There are only so many ways to connect a 3 pin device, so lots of people have been moving sideways forgetting about the improving the topology and focusing on questionable, empirical and often downright stupid quests.
LOTS of others have kept their head out of their a** and to them we owe audio as we know it today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.