Germanium in the World of solid state (preamps)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No good reception, please, be more kind

I fell sad, a little bit ashamed.

You all have the rigth to defend your ideas, but made this good man as a target to send him bad things.

Hey till!, you are not a bad man!... What is going on... write to me if you face hard problems... i will be there till.

The one alike you, an artist, good taste man, pretty house, open mind... you may be on trouble, i will be happy to have news from you.

Could not recognize you till?... no problems.... i like you, no problems!

Carlos

till said:
so we can not expect any explanations of your germanium sonic signature idea?

what a pitty. this way there is no chance to proof it right or wrong. but your behavior is an indication the idea may not be worth further thougts about.

You (till) can not expect any (more) explanations on your (level) of questions. You get ewen too many answers regards on your questions. I think no one of others is interestet to read answers on your questions (maybe Racman I think :xeye: :) ) Its question of the level of communication.

hey carlos, don´t take it too serios.

see situation, a new members signs in, he posts a huge load of new threads containing is wild theories and trusims, and he seems not to be willing to explain his ideas, proof anything, or learn from this board.

The only reason to start one thread after the other is spreading his childish wisdom without beeing prepared for any question.

If you ask you get off topic replys and if you ask more you get insults.

Don´t you think its ok to ask him a little further so he has at least the chance for some self - reflection he urgently deserves?

You had a much better start here, as you answer questions, do not insult memebers, do not claim to be more professional than those who question, do more serios intended communications, and post interesting ideas.

I hope this man will switch over to a more respectable way of using this board.

I hope you both can have peace

And better understanding to all of us.

One big barrier to me is the language, lets see:

Someday, in the past i wrote "face me, you see what i think"

One guy asked me what i mean, then i explain, face me is look at may smilling face, you will see that i am happy.

I think, not sure because the one do not told me that, he understood the face me alike a old western movie:

Hey you! , go ten steps, turn, and shot!

And the smilling face he saw was ironic. For me this is a problem, you to put sometimes some German word in middle of the text and i smille a lot, Mr pass sometimes makes jokes with those words you say... he enter and put a worst pronouce ( Mr Pass may be a funny guy, good sense of humor is very good to leave) I think is interesting and funny. This German accent i like.

If someday i pronouce your interrogation mark correct, i will be really a good foreign language speaker. "Ausrufunktszeichen"... it seems someone is asking you to go to hell, with only one way ticket!

Carlos

I was alive and very young those times, the Germanium transistors time

Germanium Era

During the sixties, the Germanium transistor was the one dominate the Market, competing with tubes and considered worst in sound quality but better because low consumption and smaller size.

They turn very common with the introduction of small portable Am Radio Receivers, very small they were, and some of them could operate with a 9 Volts battery.... more modern units jumped to three AA cells and a couple of years passed and 1 single cell where used...small speakers, sound not good, no bass, consumption was high but they made a lot of noise..... around 30 miliamperes stand by and reaching 100 miliamperes full power....i suppose power was not bigger than 100 miliwatts.

Germanium turn very popular because of those radios, and Sony entered to sale to Class A society when started to sell inside important German Big Magazines

Germanium had high noise, low gain (around 30 to 50) and needed only 200 milivolts to bias from base to emitter to start conduction .... had problems related heat, as bigger the heat, the internal resistance was reduced, and this produced more heat, and the internal resistance reduced more.... and goes till be destroyed.

Leakage was very big, resistances from colector to emitter, around 4000 ohms where not difficult to find, and power was problem...units with big power was costly..

I am showing you pictures of the Philips Mini Cassete Recorder, made in 1967 this model had some Silicon transistors too...earlier models used only Germanium transistors, this one is already using Silicon units, mixed with AC127, AC128 and AC187 and AC188 units...those were very commom, to full complementary output around 2.5 watts RMS over 4 ohms.

Other line, very famous also, a non Philips line was made with glass...very pretty and thin transistors, painted black to avoid the Photoconductivity of those early transistors.... they are named OC....OC71 was very famous.

Leads were easy to broke...this problem we have now a days... terrible that...leads broke too much easy!

Colector was not connected mechanically to the aluminium case...so, heat dissipations was awfull, despite the use of thermal compound.

Transistor turn very famous by the distortion produced, because when silicon units entered the market, the factories suggested their substitution, informing replacement charts.....but Silicon units had much more gain, the result was saturation...terrible distortion...also, 200 milivolts were not adequated to bias those transistors, and many guys did not made modifications in biasing.... the result was a bad fame.

Many guys had wonderfull dreams listening music reproduced by Germanium units... the very first transistor from Bell Laboratories.

Regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 276
They used to have red and blue dots, to turn easy and fast identification when PNP or

NPN transistor...i do not remember with precision, but i think the dots were indications to the Colector lead.

Other brands used different marks, 2N models used other kind of black dots..... glass units, black painted, had white or yellow dots.

Was pretty and interesting.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• red dot.jpg
    red dot.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 143
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.