Germanium in the World of solid state (preamps)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

this dispute is about attitude. Please refrain from personal attacks, nothing I have posted about your company was not proven wrong, and you were the first one to bring your company about as an argument about your proffesionalism. I would agree with you in some points about so called sonic signature of devices, in fact I had problems with opamps acting like strain gages when bending PCBs. But your explanations read like you have never passed "Fizika snovi" exam with late proffesor Poberaj. Statements like "Any amplifier is resistor with the negative resistance" make my doubts even higher.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

IVX said:
Dear Bojan Hajdinjak,
Jaka Racman registered on this forum from Dec 2002, and anything wrong from him is not detected. You are registered at Jun 2004... probably we need a month or two for assembling opinion about you? Whatever the outcome, real pro usually is more polite. (DIYers too:)

Maybe was Jaka do something wrong in other forums (in Slovenia) in the past. I have to excuse about this, this is from local (slovenian) ..... and it not right for your forum here.
I am sacrifice here.

Its wery easy to be polite if you want. If you want from me to write like other polite pros tell me. I think maybe you want to hear something new (or maybe not?).
With the polite person I'm polite (read what I wrote in the past here... )

In this moment I want to congratulate to owner of this forum, to admiss me to write with such ideas.

Month or two for assembling opinion will newer happened. I'm on hollidays this days (have time for). I find this site a few days ago....

till said:

this will not help me much with the germanium issue.

germanium, resonant signature, advantages, please.

There are more advantages, but one is that its different (and enough musical) resonant signature. If you know that in a few amplification stages, silicon (or tuby) resonant signature is multiplay, this efect is easy to reduce with materials with other resonant signatures. Here is diferent capacitance betwen n or p joins,.. a lot of this we wrote in the past. If you want to read some formula :) sorry.

If you ask me, why some of the wood materials sounds better than others (guitar production, or violin), its technicaly hardly to explain on the way you undestand if you dont want to.

Whay some tubes sounds better than others? Why some capacitors? You think its measurable and its simple to explain with the formula? And whay some circuits sound better than others? Because of THD and nosie

:confused: :xeye:

Whay old Hammond use germanium and now (in the time of silicon) no one knows to produce sound (copie) of Hammond organ?
Because of internal resonant signature of germanium.

The Hammond organ was build back in 1935, the germanium transistor some years later. The reason for hammond sound would be the rotating metal disks causing the frequency, no germanium. sorry.

Else there are more kinds of distortion than THD, probably you talk about IMD, not about "resonant signature"

The are better ways to avoid the stages behave like a mixer cell.

No or only little feedback for example, and use of only few stages. Not those wild hypothesis of building a amplifier as hybrid as possible. I propose you take some weeks and read, this board would be a great start. What you percive as advantage of germanium may be it was not possible to use too much feedback with a germanium transistor, as it had not too much gain ?

till said:
The Hammond organ was build back in 1935, the germanium transistor some years later. The reason for hammond sound would be the rotating metal disks causing the frequency, no germanium. sorry.

Else there are more kinds of distortion than THD, probably you talk about IMD, not about "resonant signature"

The are better ways to avoid the stages behave like a mixer cell.

No or only little feedback for example, and use of only few stages. Not those wild hypothesis of building a amplifier as hybrid as possible. I propose you take some weeks and read, this board would be a great start. What you percive as advantage of germanium may be it was not possible to use too much feedback with a germanium transistor, as it had not too much gain ?

Regard Hammond organ. Its not true. Hammond produced for many more years. In the past, some musicians want from us (when i was u student) to change some germanium stages into silicon stagen in Hammond organ. Result was horrible.... Even today i remember the face of owner of Hammond organ. ..

THD was a JOKE

Nor or only little feedback. I have to disagree with you. It depends on design. In some designs low or no feedback sounds better but in others not. It's not so simple to tell something like this in general, like no feedback, only FETs, just paper cones, (eat only bananas,...) ;)

How much gain do you need for the line preamp?

Maybe, you have to read something different than this forum - what do you think? Its not attach, its just an answer on it.

of corse you need more feedback in case the nonlinearity of the stage is too bad without it.

Of corse you need more stages if you need too much gain to get it from one.

with my paper cone speaker i don´t need too much gain, they are happy with one watt or so...

of corse it will sound bad if you change some germaniums against new silicons, some bias settings my be to hell because of the different PN drop, and in case the stages depend on the hfe, you may overdrive your ciruit somehow. No wonder it was a bad example.

But it does not tell germanium is better, it only tells never change components without understand what you do.

I need a gain of 10 or so.

And nothing against bananas, there is that much sun karma stored in them, they make you happy.

and they are yellow what always a good sign. (except for snow as we know)

till said:

1 - of corse you need more feedback in case the nonlinearity of the stage is too bad without it.

2 - Of corse you need more stages if you need too much gain to get it from one.

3 - with my paper cone speaker i don´t need too much gain, they are happy with one watt or so...

4 - of corse it will sound bad if you change some germaniums against new silicons, some bias settings my be to hell because of the different PN drop, and in case the stages depend on the hfe, you may overdrive your ciruit somehow. No wonder it was a bad example.

5 - But it does not tell germanium is better, it only tells never change components without understand what you do.

I need a gain of 10 or so.

And nothing against bananas, there is that much sun karma stored in them, they make you happy.

and they are yellow what always a good sign. (except for snow as we know)

1 - Feedback have nothing with nonlinearity in normal amplifier design if frequency bandwith is correct (20Hz - 20kHz). Feedback have something with badwidth, with impulse response, with some kind of distortion, with gain (in relation to bandwidth)... and feedback changes something is happend with something was happened (last is Joke again :att'n: )

2 - You have to get more gain in other stages or with other electronic circuit.

3 - Your paper cones are ideal for some good tube equipment :att'n:

4 - Read again carefully please. We don't change tansistors (germanium with silicon) in the past, BUT STAGES. We change all stages not only trasistors. I hope you don't do this deliberated, because I have to do other (more clever) things that make answers on your questions (answers) like this. I newer told nothing like this, you replay to.

1) the reason for using feedback is fighting the nonlinearitys.

2) if you use high sensitive speaker f.e. you do not need many stages or much gain, thus not too much potential "mixer cells" and you do not need wild resonant signature super hybrid design hypothesis.

at the moment i have 3 stages in my chain: one i/v stage in the DAC 4 FETs balanced, one preamp stage 2 FETs balanced, one power amp 3 FETs SE. /channel.

3) yes, or for good FET equipment, as tube tends to be expensive and needs transformers

4) nothing against you, but it still is no proof, it only lets supect you built some crappy stages...

till said:
1) the reason for using feedback is fighting the nonlinearitys.

2) if you use high sensitive speaker f.e. you do not need many stages or much gain, thus not too much potential "mixer cells" and you do not need wild resonant signature super hybrid design hypothesis.

at the moment i have 3 stages in my chain: one i/v stage in the DAC 4 FETs balanced, one preamp stage 2 FETs balanced, one power amp 3 FETs SE. /channel.

3) yes, or for good FET equipment, as tube tends to be expensive and needs transformers

4) nothing against you, but it still is no proof, it only lets supect you built some crappy stages...

1 - No, its (often) not true (in linear NF amplification). Its reason of stability, gain and bandwidth, and some more.... . I think you have never be on (electro) university in the past (i dont want to sounded to less polite, but i hardly write in english....)

2 - You need some stages in phono (at least two), in line stage, on the ouput of CD player, and two of them in Power amp. It not so always, but usually is.

3 - good FET equipment isn't so good like good tube or mixed equipment.

Whats wrong with (output) transformers? And what is so good with capacitors? Tube Power amp with ouput transformer (some good design) sound better than some Power OTLs. If you have troubles with the output transformer, tube preamp don't need this, not phono or output amp of CD player and exist some Power tube amps OTL (Output Transformer Less) :) :eek:

Please, give me something some more sophisticated.

1) those additional reasons result from stage designs with more open loop gain than needed. Its an ill line of reasoning to say something superflous is good and necessary because you made the necessity before. Its a very typical for some politicans kind of truth these days...

2) I will need only two stages with Fets in future: one discrete FET based balanced I/V stage in the DAC directly driving one stage balanced FET power amps. No problem. D1 stage http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/d1-srv-man.pdf driving

http://www.passdiy.com/images/projects/z1-fig16.gif

3) unproofen truism again.

without number: a good capacitor is not expensive like a medium transformer, if there are any you can call good compared to caps. Balanced i need not that many and not that big caps.

so what about the germanium?

waste of time

till said:

this will not help me much with the germanium issue. Also there is a lot not new in the USA but still a big messy ********, same anywere else...

I can´t change any plastic cone against paper as i have no plastic cone speakers and don´t want any other than mine: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

The main points in the cone material will be g/cm^3 and E N/mm^2
and plastic will not be rally of any advantage, so why should i bother?

germanium, resonant signature, advantages, please.

Waste of time. :eek: We are finish with this

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.