Germanium in the World of solid state (preamps)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am happy to show you the Germanium old transistor insides

This is something of around 4 decades....around 40 years of our history.

All young guys must see those things, may be funny, but was wonderfull, as nobody could dream with Cel phones or Computers!...the computer that exist was one entire building full of tubes beeing replaced all time... very small and memory of 1K or something alike...ahahahaha......Our computer father...Euniac or something alike..

Five year after the silicon transistor appear, some board having transistors making multivibrators...the flip flop..on off switches, were made to produce a better computer...using cards with holes to read the data, optically ..ahahahaha!

This transistor was called, this one shown... contact point transistor...very obvious..had a point and a wire making contact... those times were simple and romantic.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• tr junction.jpg
    tr junction.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 352
I am unenployed Netlist, 54 years old, not social insurance in brazil, no income.

Repairing radios, i use to buy and sell cars.... i go living, my wife is rich and i am delicious...ahahahah.

No condition to do that...one daugther in University, three sons...i cannot do that... camera is secondary....family maintenance first!

And also, our size limit to post images (honest posting images, as some guys use tricks to enter enormous images in our forum) is 100K....this is not a good quality...my toy camera produce much bigger data!....hehe..i have to reduce the size!...of course quality is not so good as some good camera...but here those things are very expensive..... Brazilian income is small measured in dollares.... a rich one, living was a king or a baron, receive here 2000 dolares income each month...in your country this is a poor man....here we are rich, having boats and many cars, and all day dinner at restaurants.... those cameras, 300 dollares!... is enormous money for us....for you is a little bit more than a dinner to five persons.

regards,

Carlos

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: I am unenployed Netlist, 54 years old, not social insurance in brazil, no income.

destroyer X said:

No condition to do that...one daugther in University, three sons...i cannot do that... camera is secondary....family maintenance first!

Right you are, Carlos!!! The beauty is the effort you made with simple things. Very much appreciated. :nod:

/Hugo :)

I prefer the Germanium sound i heard...the best sound i heard was from Ge transistors

But sound memory is not something that we can trust...maybe better than others those old days...but now a days...if we try to listen...may be deceptive...i do not know...i am searching for an old Philips to check that.

2SB77.... yeah!.... 2N408....2SB75...AD 161 and AD162 that came in complementary package... the AD149, used in auto radios.... Ge...5 watts maximum output...case full of silicon thermal compound...i used to open to have thermal compound stock when someone burns.. hehe...good old days.

Now good new days!

regards,

Carlos

Joined 2006
Paid Member
germanium...
I often thougth of that....
why, decades ago, where THE BEST SOUNDING things I ever heard either triode amps or germanium?
I remember....
to have been a weirdo...decades ago... when I expressed my preference of simple triodeamps over the then fashionable "ultralinear" type of amplifiers....
and I was even more of a weirdo....later on....
when I prefered my triodeamps
over those silicon monsters that could spew out hundreds of watts at zer...zero...something thd.....
so strange how things change over time....
well...
nowdays the germanium-guy gets beaten up...
sad really...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.