• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Group Buy Salas UltraFSP RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Would it make sense to actually record something with these different caps? (Since the ultrafsp is stellar, it seems to me that this would be one of the best places to try to record a good piece of music for A/B comparisons, in the hope that the CMR will reveal the music...

Use headphones to monitor the recording process and if initially the file isn't faithful to what you hear off the phono to the headphone amp for either set of coupling caps don't even bother to compare those via recordings.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
When Will there be another opportunity to order the whole kit? I see you're out of boards. Any on order? Thanks very much.

There will be. Make sure to sign up.
I am trying to accumulate parts and kits for several of the group buys and then roll it out once I have more than 50 percent of the kits currently on demand ready to deliver. I also like to see decent demand to most sets of boards, otherwise we have to adjust pricing of boards.
Parts costs will change between group buys as well as Covid has made getting them more difficult, and more parts become New Old Stock.
Shipping will also be adjusted to best accomodate at the times. As americans know if I send out something around late october or so, it will probably disappear - but that is looking like a reasonable timeframe at this point to have my stuff together.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The Group buy for salas boards is now open and will close on October 4th 2020 at 9PM ESTI am starting to send out invoices to previous group buy purchasers.
I will be sending out private messages as well with instructions as well in the next few days.Please be sure that your spreadsheet cell meets your requirements, then read the instructions in the group buy FAQ.
Salas Group Buy Comprehensive Information - Google Docs

Once complete, reply to my private message with required information.
Private message me with any instructions. I assume you know what your ordering and have components not ordered to complete project.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
GB Ends in 5 days!

The Group buy for salas boards is now open and will close on October 4th 2020 at 9PM EST
I am starting to send out invoices to previous group buy purchasers.
I will be sending out private messages as well with instructions as well in the next few days.Please be sure that your spreadsheet cell meets your requirements, then read the instructions in the group buy FAQ.
Salas Group Buy Comprehensive Information - Google Docs

Once complete, reply to my private message with required information.
Private message me with any instructions. I assume you know what you are ordering and have components not ordered to complete project.

Mouser project basket

For everyone who ordered Ultra FSP boards, JFETs and a Minikit, here is a mouser project for most of the other bits.
Access ID: 3180e14ed4

Please make sure to log in and save it as your "own project" first before you start to edit the project.

Includes:
- R5, R6 Beyschlag alternatives as per Salas BOM
- C3, C4 Cornell Dubilier 940 Series (a cheap underdog coupling cap, feel free to delete them out oft your shopping cart)
- all other parts for phono board and bib section except minikit parts

Does NOT include:
- R2, R3, R8, R11 as their values depend on your JFET's Idss
- Minikit parts (see original BOM table for reference )
- JFETs

I double checked and updated this cart today. Some parts are not available but i left everything according to the original BOM. It is easy to find alternatives for all the resistors and capacitors.

Did i mention that minikit parts are not included in my mouser basket?

Edit: Mouser Project for RAW PSU parts

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Greetings, I am just building my Ultra FSP and have a question.

It appears the C7 and C9 are reversed on the BOM:

The BOM indicates that C7 is 100mfd/50 but the schematic shows it to 470/50

and

The BOM indicates C9 is 470mfd/50v but the schematic shows 100/50

From looking at the photos it appears the BOM has C7 and C9 transposed.

Naturally I didn't notice this till C7 was soldered but that's what my Hakko is good for.

It's also very possible that I'm confused in some way.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Greetings, I am just building my Ultra FSP and have a question.

It appears the C7 and C9 are reversed on the BOM:

The BOM indicates that C7 is 100mfd/50 but the schematic shows it to 470/50

and

The BOM indicates C9 is 470mfd/50v but the schematic shows 100/50

From looking at the photos it appears the BOM has C7 and C9 transposed.

Naturally I didn't notice this till C7 was soldered but that's what my Hakko is good for.

It's also very possible that I'm confused in some way.

This is some old issue that I never corrected. The schematic is correct. I have updated the BOM. The size of the caps should give some guidance too.

Hopefully all the planets align now.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I still have three sets of boards and kits ready to go now.

If you wish to wait, there will be another group buy for certain, but the date is currently unplanned.
If you are interested now, review the stuff linked in my signature and send me a private message.
Tea

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok, no out of the boards to sell. Yay. Long live the UFSP.
It is good to see a good number of them assembled running and people liking them.
So if you are interested in me in the short run, private message me, and I will add you to next GB spreadsheet. I will try to post a public one soon.