2002-09-12 11:14 am
Norway
some details:

Attachments

• untitled-6.jpg
    untitled-6.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,622
Hei Mads!

Your amp really looks nice, those teko cases does the job. I have been thinking of using them as well, but i'm concerned about the height, only 4 cm! Is that the internal height? The only transformers i have found that fits are 80 va ones, whats the va rating of yours, and where did you get them?

I'm probably going to try your balanced gc some time, i also like the BZLS to much to omit it :)

Congrats on your new job, not easy getting a job these days.. I have only been looking for one year ;)

Edgar

Mad_K

Norway
Thanks Edgar!

If you look closely you'll discover that the toroids are 100VA. The specs on elfa.se/no says they are 43mm high (they are 38mm), but they fint in the ds2480 (40mm internal height). I "knew" this because I have several other ToroidTM. The 43mm spec is a worst case scenario, and is measured from where the pri./secondaries enter/exit. You can just push them down a little. I would have liked to have bigger toroids, but I liked the case better, + my other amps are in the excact same case style. I my prototype I used a 600VA unit, and at my listening levels, I didn't notice any loss from the smaller toroids. The amp runs cool as a breeze all the time. BTW, my rails are +/- 27,3VDC on idle; pretty ideal;)

BR,

Oh boy! I can see you have been doing some serious shopping at my old workplace Eltek, those mundorf caps costs money.... I also have speakers based on 6,5" magnesium drivers, even got some flatline, going to be a very similar setup. What can you say about the sound compared to other systems you have heared?

Have been doing some drawings, seems like i can fit 4 transformers inside these teko cases. Might try Thorsten's "low flux" connection.. Anybody tryed it?

Mad_K

Norway
Yeah, Eltek (and Elfa) has got their fair share of my money over quite some time now....

As to the sound... :scratch: I think I am a little biased, but it is also fine tuned over a 2-year period to my taste and my living room so I will only say that it is VERY GOOD:nod:

I was thinking the same thing; 4 transformers... But since my current speaker-setup don't seem to want a lot of power, I dropped it. My room-placement and enclosure design is based upon Peter Snell's ideas; like the Audio Note speakers (and earlier Snell Acoustics) if anyone knows what I'm talking about. I think you should try Thorsten's "low flux" connection. That guy knows some tricks;)

Mvh

Mad_K

Norway
AAAAAAaaahhhh!

After a week of burning in and listening to a lot of records I can tell you:

-IT IS SIMPLY MAGIC!

After I finished my gainclone, I have just been listening to music... (As opposed to trying to figure out what to improve, or which amp I should build next) Now, I am more interested in finding more music. Now it's time to watch "Animatrix", and hopefully some more jaw-dropping;)

Attachments

• lateatnight.jpg
    lateatnight.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,026