Gainclone with pseudo-balanced input?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some details:

Attachments

• untitled-6.jpg
    untitled-6.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,629
Hei Mads!

Your amp really looks nice, those teko cases does the job. I have been thinking of using them as well, but i'm concerned about the height, only 4 cm! Is that the internal height? The only transformers i have found that fits are 80 va ones, whats the va rating of yours, and where did you get them?

I'm probably going to try your balanced gc some time, i also like the BZLS to much to omit it :)

Congrats on your new job, not easy getting a job these days.. I have only been looking for one year ;)

Edgar

Thanks Edgar!

If you look closely you'll discover that the toroids are 100VA. The specs on elfa.se/no says they are 43mm high (they are 38mm), but they fint in the ds2480 (40mm internal height). I "knew" this because I have several other ToroidTM. The 43mm spec is a worst case scenario, and is measured from where the pri./secondaries enter/exit. You can just push them down a little. I would have liked to have bigger toroids, but I liked the case better, + my other amps are in the excact same case style. I my prototype I used a 600VA unit, and at my listening levels, I didn't notice any loss from the smaller toroids. The amp runs cool as a breeze all the time. BTW, my rails are +/- 27,3VDC on idle; pretty ideal;)

BR,

Oh boy! I can see you have been doing some serious shopping at my old workplace Eltek, those mundorf caps costs money.... I also have speakers based on 6,5" magnesium drivers, even got some flatline, going to be a very similar setup. What can you say about the sound compared to other systems you have heared?

Have been doing some drawings, seems like i can fit 4 transformers inside these teko cases. Might try Thorsten's "low flux" connection.. Anybody tryed it?

Yeah, Eltek (and Elfa) has got their fair share of my money over quite some time now....

As to the sound... :scratch: I think I am a little biased, but it is also fine tuned over a 2-year period to my taste and my living room so I will only say that it is VERY GOOD:nod:

I was thinking the same thing; 4 transformers... But since my current speaker-setup don't seem to want a lot of power, I dropped it. My room-placement and enclosure design is based upon Peter Snell's ideas; like the Audio Note speakers (and earlier Snell Acoustics) if anyone knows what I'm talking about. I think you should try Thorsten's "low flux" connection. That guy knows some tricks;)

Mvh

AAAAAAaaahhhh!

After a week of burning in and listening to a lot of records I can tell you:

-IT IS SIMPLY MAGIC!

After I finished my gainclone, I have just been listening to music... (As opposed to trying to figure out what to improve, or which amp I should build next) Now, I am more interested in finding more music. Now it's time to watch "Animatrix", and hopefully some more jaw-dropping;)

Attachments

• lateatnight.jpg
    lateatnight.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,035
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.