Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably already been discussed here, but I came across a topic on another forum about power regenerators. Which by itself is a ridiculous thing to put in your AC path (that gets rectified and filtered anyway). But those people believed that their audio systems sound different depending on the time of the day (probably because of the quality of the AC!?). What a bunch of lunatics.

It's probably already been discussed here, but I came across a topic on another forum about power regenerators. Which by itself is a ridiculous thing to put in your AC path (that gets rectified and filtered anyway). But those people believed that their audio systems sound different depending on the time of the day (probably because of the quality of the AC!?). What a bunch of lunatics.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I was loaned an older model of PS Audio power plant a few years ago, to see if I wanted to buy it from a friend.
The only thing I noticed was when the fridge motor kicked in, there was no more clicking noise through my speakers.
So I'd assume the reserve caps also filter out current spikes.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I was loaned an older model of PS Audio power plant a few years ago, to see if I wanted to buy it from a friend.
The only thing I noticed was when the fridge motor kicked in, there was no more clicking noise through my speakers.
So I'd assume the reserve caps also filter out current spikes.
That's easily solved with some class X capacitors between live and neutral. And a common mode choke if you want to be extra fancy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi bogdan,
Well, there is some truth in the regenerator thing. Most power supplies inside equipment are poorly designed and the outside electrical environment has a big effect on the device. I'm not supporting their use, but there is a reason why they exist. I have a friend with three of them.

-Chris

Would YOU pay $3,200 US dollars for this?...This, the "BYOB" "amplifier", is just a single simple two-channel amp-on-a-chip.
I have a pirated such an amp, I pulled it from a "forgotten" PC amp-speaker combo. Mine is running a TDA 1517P chip at 6 watts worth of power....& it was repurposed, unearthed...brought back from obscurity, for ZERO monies.
This BYOB thing, has more BS written all thru his website, from truly stupid ideas....to outright lies.
We all need to call out this crap whenever we see it...or it will inundate our treasured hobby....and bury us all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.............

Attachments

• BYOB im Horn.jpg
    BYOB im Horn.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Would YOU pay $3,200 US dollars for this?...This, the "BYOB" "amplifier", is just a single simple two-channel amp-on-a-chip.
I have a pirated such a simple amp I pulled from a "forgotten" PC amp-speaker combo. Mine is running a TDA 1719 chip at 6 watts worth of power....& it was repurposed, unearthed...brought back from obscurity, for ZERO monies.
This BYOB thing, has more BS written all thru his website, from truly stupid ideas....to outright lies.
We all need to call out this crap whenever we see it...or it will inundate our treasured hobby....and bury us all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.............

"Mother of tone of the lacquered spruce board..." Needn't say more!!!

Those of us who embrace science, reason, testing...the very tenets of thought, we must nip this insanity now & forever in the bud....or this endeavour, and many others will degrade, until...before a "blessed shaman" is needed to activate our music, our reason long since forgotten, usurped by charlatans....this master of the music, bringing it to us, by merely knowing how to flick a switch...that magical device fully unknown to all of us, except the "all knowing" types.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Those of us who embrace science, reason, testing...the very tenets of thought, we must nip this insanity now & forever in the bud....or this endeavour, and many others will degrade, until...before a "blessed shaman" is needed to activate our music, our reason long since forgotten, usurped by charlatans....this master of the music, bringing it to us, by merely knowing how to flick a switch...that magical device fully unknown to all of us, except the "all knowing" types.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Then there's this... Note that 300 watts into 8 ohms represents 6 amps of current. So the rise time difference between these cables at power levels high enough to vaporize a speaker voice coil is somewhere on the order of about 1 usec. So that would cause problems in the 45th harmonic of the highest frequency that most systems can reproduce. No wonder the "attack": and transparency of the faster cable is so apparent!

Incidentally, 220 amps as shown in the plot would be 320,000 watts..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.46.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.46.54 PM.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 344
Then there's this... Note that 300 watts into 8 ohms represents 6 amps of current. So the rise time difference between these cables at power levels high enough to vaporize a speaker voice coil is somewhere on the order of about 1 usec. So that would cause problems in the 45th harmonic of the highest frequency that most systems can reproduce. No wonder the "attack": and transparency of the faster cable is so apparent!

Incidentally, 220 amps as shown in the plot would be 320,000 watts..

A human beings hearing ability is not within the micro-second realm at all, let alone a 45th harmonic...

------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick........

I have a pirated such an amp, I pulled it from a "forgotten" PC amp-speaker combo. Mine is running a TDA 1517P chip at 6 watts worth of power....& it was repurposed, unearthed...brought back from obscurity, for ZERO monies.

Attachments

• DSC_0288.jpg
    DSC_0288.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 372
A past SO used to say "Events Happen. We're left to make meaning from it".

Perhaps it's the executive brain's strong valence toward having to make meaning out of every dern thing that happens, that we can hold accountable. The kind of thought process that keeps you up at night - say, "What's this pandemic really all about?".

Perhaps it's a two way street; someone shoves a "what that means" into your mind, so you're strongly inclined to correlate an event to it soon afterward. Particularly, a subjective event...

I recall a remark Stereophile made "This is the lightest weighing amplifier ever to have done so" (Make it to the top of the pile) I give them credit for getting past what heavy in weight / mass means regarding high end amplification. Probably had to train pretty hard over the years in order to do that.

Joined 2017
Paid Member

He also went so far as to lacquer the chip's body with some magic stuff (possibly kind of a violin-lacquer, but who knows—wonderfully expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.