Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like ultra HD welding cable. Maybe MIG/TIG fumes cause neuron damage.

I seem to remember Monster offering some ridiculous hawser like concoctions in the early 80s.

One of my audiophool friends was coming by, so he could verify how crappy my system must sound; he said it would be obvious because I didn't have multi thousand dollar networked cables for my speakers, as the ones he'd bought a few weeks before.
At work, the sparkies were throwing out a mound of this aluminium stuff, and I'd brought some home for a prank.
I clamped speaker wire over each end, covered
2/3rd of a 24" length with shrink wrap and tech flex, and reconnected the naught-worked wire to my speakers, and amp.
He was mesmerized, and convinced it magically elevated the playback quality.
When pressed, I told him the special alloy was mostly aluminium, but details were mil spec, and proprietary.
The only details I could divulge were that its enhanced conductivity, cross sectional size, and non magnetic properties realigned electron flow, the carefully calculated length virtually eliminated impedance reflections, reduced back EMF from the drivers, as well as increasing transmission speed at the quantum planck distances between molecules.
The more I told him he couldn't buy them, because they were prototypes I'd been lucky enough to have on loan, the more he offered!
I had to burst out laughing when it hit $2500.
For no reason, we seem to converse a lot less these days.

But it's good to be bad, sometimes.

Attachments

• 20151231_170842-1.jpg
    20151231_170842-1.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 211
One Altmann BYOB amplifier comes EUR 6000,- including 5 years guarantee, quality battery cable (shown below), manual and worldwide shipping (air parcel).
Please order your Altmann BYOB amplifier through this email.

Restauration to original specification
This applies to BYOB amplifiers that have been modified by a previous owner or third party and need to be returned to their original performance standard. EUR 4000,-
serious.jpg

Dan.

I kind of remember a ?Furutech? demagnetizer for compact disc, @ the same time the green felt pen treatments, and blue translucent stick on film were available, too, at the home audio division of Commercial Electronics.

When I was at the pro audio division of Commercial Electronics, picking up some custom made Canare digital cables, a home audio salesman followed me downstairs, and tried to sell me a spray bottle of Nordost antistatic mist.

It was said to be designed to be sprayed on your rug, before approaching your stereo, to remove a static discharge between your stereo and you.
!
This salesman said it made CDs sound better if you spritzed them a little, prior to playing them.

Of course, my system probably would be incapable of revealing the improvements if I didn't first put my source and preamp on titanium pulsar points.

Thankfully, the pro audio tech came from the back with my cables, and sent the home audio guy upstairs at that point.

I went to Altmann's website. Appears the BYOB amp now sells for £6,000.

Incredible, not only the amps but their DACs, double sided PCBs, everything spread out (especially the digital designs, plenty of antennas) and screwed to a piece of wood! No shielding in today's RF rich environment, never mind the interference the designs themselves will be radiating, cant see any reference to CE, FCC UL etc
I agree with Jacco's evaluation of the parts cost, around £50. What does worry me is has the wood been sculptured to allow for the through hole pins protruding from the bottom of the board, if not it will be bowed or under undue stresses when it is screwed directly to the wood, shows lack of thought in the mechanical aspects of the design... for the price they could have used anti vibration mounts in a shielded case and got better results but that would employ engineering, as it is they are following the Luthier way and feeding certain audiophile fantasies.
Happy New Year:)

And the award goes to...

Impressions: Robinson?s Brutus Awards for 2015, Part 2 - Positive Feedback

Jump on it, these are on sale!! And they won an award!!

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/t...-2016-01-01-accessories-92307-apple-valley-ca

Seriously I've got to get into the cable industry, a little arts and crafts from home and I'll have med school paid for.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/d...ca-trade-in-2015-12-31-cables-80007-arvada-co

Ok. I'll stop now.

Ok no seriously one more

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/t...-2015-12-29-accessories-92307-apple-valley-ca

Last edited:
It was difficult to find something that does less than that, but Synergistic Research's "HOT" thingie comes close. I did an analysis of what it did electrically in an AX article (nothing that a jack, a plug, and three wires don't do), and an analysis of the composition of the "magic" material in it was published elsewhere (sand and silver paint).

I'm sure that they have their true believers, but the guy running that company has to be laughing his butt off every time he makes a deposit in the bank.

Incredible, not only the amps but their DACs, double sided PCBs, everything spread out (especially the digital designs, plenty of antennas) and screwed to a piece of wood! No shielding in today's RF rich environment, never mind the interference the designs themselves will be radiating, cant see any reference to CE, FCC UL etc

They're not the first to skip shielding!
And this DNM stuff got pretty good subjective reviews.

Attachments

• 2016-01-01 08.39.21.jpg
    2016-01-01 08.39.21.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 187
Status
Not open for further replies.