Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Shunyata and asked if their Hydra power conditioners were UL544* approved. They'll have to get back to me on that.

It would be interesting to compare them with Major1PC Single Phase Power Conditioners which is UL544 approved

* https://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?document_name=UL 544

That Dr. was a paid add spokesperson, Shunyata was the only company he contacted that knew how power conditioners work. Right. :rolleyes: Power conditioning for hospitals is a huge industry and there are many solutions available that meet all UL specifications.

Bill - a standard outlet in the US is usually 1500W/15A max.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Ah I can't think why I had 10A in my head as that is euro spec. I do remember the power cord on my hoover getting quite warm. That was the days when US vacs were specced in Amps rather than any useful spec. mine was a 12A model if I remember.

The 3KW from a UK 3pin is useful on odd occasions. Like decent kettles.

you cannot perform an cardio eletrophysiology test with the measurements as they are at

https://youtu.be/gY_g2Txqmoc?t=141 the technician who performs the installation will not finish the installation and let the machine in this state.

I'm really, really curious, about the comment of the manufacturer of the medical equipment :)

I've spend some time in about 4-5 eletrophysiology labs, with different setups, and I never seen anything like the picture of "unfiltered" system.

Total BS.

If you watch the video you will notice he plugs the shredder into a different group outlet than the scope is attached to. By doing this he runs the noise through two filters, one for the group the lamp and shredder are plugged into, and one for the group the scope is plugged into.

views of the inside of the line filter can be seen here:

Shunyata Hydra DPC-6 V2 Power Conditioner at Music Direct

Comments are blocked from the video, which is nothing more than a slight of hand advertisement.

$3000 1m mains cord. Several of their videos are nothing more than look how much bigger mine is.

I'm a carpenter, usually building high rises.
Am I the only one who sees the wiring supplying power to individual suites, and thinks it's hilarious how relatively large in girth a power cord supplying a single component may be?
Some of the nicest speaker wire I've used was some 3 separated silver solid core conductors a shop owner sold me years ago, he got several large rolls of the KEF stuff in an auction lot for cheap.
It was REALLY small gauge, yet I never felt there were any dynamic constrictions with music.
The silver was a great selling point, when I started using it
in speakers I made and sold.
Not sure what a anaconda thick wire is supposed to deliver after 14 gauge power wires feed diluted power to a whole residence...

wiring supplying power to individual suites, and thinks it's hilarious how relatively large in girth a power cord supplying a single component may be?

14AWG at 120Vac/15A should be used up to a length of ~125ft.
125ft at 120Vac/15A means some 9.5 volts loss, that's 8 percent.

(Afaig, the National Electric Code in Canada is pretty much a copycat of the American NEC, see article 210. I'm too lazy to read Canuck)

"Power conditioning for hospitals is a huge industry and there are many solutions available that meet all UL specifications."
Many parts of Duke University Medical Center(where I worked for ~ 30 years) have isolated/separate power circuits and labeled outlets for sensitive equipment, uninterruptible supplies (which seamlessly switch to diesel backup in the event of extended outages), and general equipment (although I've seen the janitors plug vacuum cleaners into labeled "sensitive equipment only" outlets &;>).
The Eye Center operating rooms are even vibration isolated from the rest of the building, to reduce imaging blur during microscopic eye surgery.

According to Shunyata, "... our power conditioners do not carry any UL certifications."

I wonder if I should send them here - http://www.tripplite.com/shared/lit...ower-Strip-Regulations-Brochure-953350-EN.pdf

A choice ?

Attachments

• 4bf1ad6970e3639806665e1aad7da0bb.jpg
    4bf1ad6970e3639806665e1aad7da0bb.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 189
According to Shunyata, "... our power conditioners do not carry any UL certifications."

I wonder if I should send them here - http://www.tripplite.com/shared/lit...ower-Strip-Regulations-Brochure-953350-EN.pdf

Tripplite power conditioners are also not UL Listed products.

We rejected them as unsuitable for precisely that reason. Considering how litigious the hospital environment is I would have thought that UL Listed products would be considered essential.

Anything life or mission critical not only has to be tested to the limits, but also the design and assembly has to be to a higher standard (this includes the PCB, these are designed, fabricated and assembles to IPC class 3 (2221, 610 etc.)). Every aspect of the design is scrutinised down to the smallest detail and there will be some specification covering each aspect...
Of course in their ultimate wisdom the nutters' behind lead free assemblies have now removed medical equipment from the exclusions (RoSH 3).
Of course some of these projects can run on and on, especially Military, one project I'm part of runs till 2027!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.