Full Range Speaker Photo Gallery

Little Audio Nirvana bookshelf speakers.

A humble pair of bookshelf speakers I made, using Audio Nirvana's smallest drivers. 3 inch, if memory serves. Not great as far as bass extension (f3 of 100Hz at best), and not the most strong high frequency extension either (sounds 6db down at 20k or more) but, these are the most smooth and non-fatiguing drivers I've ever heard. Very affordable too, at only $100 for a pair. I'd recommend these drivers for anyone who, wants a small driver that can be listened to for hours upon hours, without any ear fatigue.

They are very beautiful looking drivers as well. I wish I had found copper screws to make a better match to the phase plug but the brass ones are pretty nice. My biggest gripe is with my “speaker grills” consisting of heavy steel screening. I've never made grills I was happy with. These, at least, don't look too too bad and do very well protect the drivers. I was worried I'd accidentally damage the rather delicate paper cones, with my clumsy fingers or something.

Attachments

• IMG_8609.JPG
    IMG_8609.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 2,677
A humble pair of bookshelf speakers I made, using Audio Nirvana's smallest drivers. 3 inch, if memory serves. Not great as far as bass extension (f3 of 100Hz at best), and not the most strong high frequency extension either (sounds 6db down at 20k or more) but, these are the most smooth and non-fatiguing drivers I've ever heard. Very affordable too, at only $100 for a pair. I'd recommend these drivers for anyone who, wants a small driver that can be listened to for hours upon hours, without any ear fatigue.

They are very beautiful looking drivers as well. I wish I had found copper screws to make a better match to the phase plug but the brass ones are pretty nice. My biggest gripe is with my “speaker grills” consisting of heavy steel screening. I've never made grills I was happy with. These, at least, don't look too too bad and do very well protect the drivers. I was worried I'd accidentally damage the rather delicate paper cones, with my clumsy fingers or something.

Hello Midnight Rain!

Those are nice looking speakers.

You have me curious what an eight foot column of 32 drivers ---{8ft x 12" = 96"/3" = 32 3" drivers}--- would sound like? You could toss a cap on a super-tweeter somewhere between 8KHz to 10KHz to extend the highs. And you can add a sub somewhere between 100Hz to 50Hz. Heck it would be an interesting project for the right person. Too bad they don't make an alnico or neodymium magnets versions of their 3" drivers...

Nice build again Midnight Rain!

I'm listening to: It's a Good Thing by Phil Sheeran

Thetubeguy1954

At the moment they have some reflections (haven't damped them yet). Bass is ok for the enclosure size. I'm a bit biased because I use studio monitors on normal listening, and unsurprisingly they are not as "revealing" as the monitors. I haven't ran them for the 100 hours Mark recommends yet, so let's see how they turn out after I've damped them properly and burned them in.

"I have Genelec 8020b pair as my computer speakers and Genelec M030 with the F2 subwoofer as TV speakers"

Good choice!
Genelec is probably the most accurate speakers I ever heard. Very studio-monitor-like.
You need to fill them spheres with damping material. An undamped sphere is the worst kind of enclosure for internal sound reflection.
How did you make them? Is it Ikea- bowls or something else?

mesquite B10-A10 + Alpair10P

These are made from a Brinesacoustics birch ply B10-A0 flat-pak and a MarkAudio Alpair10P, covered on sides, top and baffle with .5" mesquite, with a few knots and cracks inlayed with crushed turquoise/epoxy/resin.

…finally finished and sounding great! …incredibly detailed and revealing nuance both in music and amplifier choice. I'm very happy with how they sound!

Though this took probably took too much work, I'm glad I attempted this...they most definitely sound excellent and I think they look cool, but they didn't really turn out as expected: The mesquite tended to blotch a bit with tung oil. Using a belt sander to sand down epoxy without knicking the wood was also trickier than anticipated and spent a ton of time sanding out the gouges. I might try a pure poly wipe-on finish next time to preserve the look of the lighter, post-sanding look…but for now will just enjoy listening….

Mario

Attachments

• photo 4-16.jpg
    photo 4-16.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 2,272
  • photo 2-20.jpg
    photo 2-20.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 2,130
  • photo 1-17.jpg
    photo 1-17.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 2,038
  • photo 4-14.jpg
    photo 4-14.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 1,991
  • photo 2-16.jpg
    photo 2-16.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 1,906
  • photo 4-12.jpg
    photo 4-12.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 554
These are made from a Brinesacoustics birch ply B10-A0 flat-pak and a MarkAudio Alpair10P, covered on sides, top and baffle with .5" mesquite, with a few knots and cracks inlayed with crushed turquoise/epoxy/resin.

…finally finished and sounding great! …incredibly detailed and revealing nuance both in music and amplifier choice. I'm very happy with how they sound!

Though this took probably took too much work, I'm glad I attempted this...they most definitely sound excellent and I think they look cool, but they didn't really turn out as expected: The mesquite tended to blotch a bit with tung oil. Using a belt sander to sand down epoxy without knicking the wood was also trickier than anticipated and spent a ton of time sanding out the gouges. I might try a pure poly wipe-on finish next time to preserve the look of the lighter, post-sanding look…but for now will just enjoy listening….

Mario

Hi Mario!

I think you're being too hard on yourself. These speakers are quite unique and nice looking.

I'm listening to Make Someone Happy by Sophie Milman

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

computer speakers to ob with wings.

The baffles are that plastic cardboard sign stuff i got from work.
Baffles are 20 cm wide, drivers centred.

Wings are 46cm long.

2 meters apart centered on a wall 4.2m long.

Centre of drivers are 1.1m to floor.

About 2.5m to my ears.

What a difference no box makes!

Attachments

• 1409618751578.jpg
    1409618751578.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 708