Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Horns are not 'scaled' per se -they're designed to a specific unit / narrow range of characteristics. The FH configuration isn't ideal for drivers with higher volume / size requirements as the physical proportions start to become excessive.

Setting aside politics, the UK leaving the EU has been a disaster for many smaller businesses on both sides of the equation as everybody is paying more if they need something. For e.g. I had to buy a watch strap from Germany a couple of months ago -the retailer in question was the only place that had it. What should have cost me £26 ended up costing over £45. But ultimately it's up to the individual to decide what something is worth to them.

out of stock. I think i saw the chn110 mentioned as being in stock in sweden iirc, but i don't see that country listed on the main markaudio dealer list. no rush though, i'm actually terrified of getting a spending addiction. any progress on the iban/bic details for donating. i can always put my drivers into a joan and change out the baffle for a better driver down the line.

I have not seen Mark Audio sell any of their speakers in Sweden.
Found in Germany, Great Britain, France and the Netherlands. Kanske Danmark. Jag köpte mina Alpair12P där men de var dyra där, men jag fick en bra konstruktionen på köpet. Vet inte om dom säljer längre.

Last edited:
I was recommended it in another thread because it was new to the market, a decent performer and there was a sale on it. I haven't done much pricing among models, don't want to nickle and dime myself to death, though i don't mind shopping around dealers.

I wasn't expecting anyone to want to make a custom joan+ design but if someone already had then that would suit my current driver. I don't mind about speakers being overly large, i would be interested in a design that avoided the many minor shortcomings of my current voigt pipe.

I figure the bg20 thats too large can simply be turned down in volume so it may not be a crucial issue.
I won't buy a markaudio driver without getting the plans though.

There are many designs for the same element. Each driver has its own design. A design may be suitable for other speakers. But it is not certain that it fits everyone with the same size.
Scottmoose knows all about it. Bg 20 probably works in BR and in an FH. But not so good in Joan. It probably needs to be in a bigger box.

out of stock. I think i saw the chn110 mentioned as being in stock in sweden iirc, but i don't see that country listed on the main markaudio dealer list. no rush though, i'm actually terrified of getting a spending addiction. any progress on the iban/bic details for donating. i can always put my drivers into a joan and change out the baffle for a better driver down the line.

Sweden is EU, and most dealers are centered in the Netherlands, Germany and France it seems. Mark Audio is sold in the Dutch shop Soundimport among others. Shipping within the EU is free for order above 100€ there so it does not matter that it's NL.

You can also buy many of them at Strassacker but shipping is not free there. Maybe there are others also, but i don't know them.

Ive wanted to try a FH for long time but the options were either build myself while spending little to nothing with recycled materials or buy flatpack from KJF. For the BB ply alone the flatpack is a great deal so I wouldn't hesitate to buy if I was sure I'd prefer it over other enclosures and it would suit the room but obviously there is no guarantee, the standard DIY build is basically impossible because of limited WW skill/tools

Though with some small adjustments and minor compromises a low precision+cost DIY build may not be out of question anymore.

It would require building half of a twin FHXL, since I noticed the twin uses basically only straight cuts instead of precise angled ones in standard FHs, one of main things making a diy build difficult.

Angles are one thing, there is also long straight cuts. cutting a board into long pieces with a basic jigsaw and sub-mm accuracy is, for me, impossible.
An elegant solution for this is buying 8x1'' planks that has all this cutting done from the factory while at same time being an inexpensive option.

The side panels are a large and tricky shape but since all the inner pieces will sit against the flat surface of panels rough cuts at least wont (within reason) create any seal or joining issues when putting it together. Knowing the cuts don't require utmost accuracy I would be less hesitant about buying a board but I do already have some MDF boards, to buy all materials would only cost around €60.

There are a couple small difficulties remaining but they shouldn't be hard to overcome... that is cutting the angled joint between internal and back piece and adjusting design for 1'' thickness

Last edited:
When i was doing my voigt pipe I did all the cuts with an anglegrinder. it's easy to get a straight cut each time without the blade wandering by cutting against a straight edge. I used the edge of the plywood sheet, after i decided to yolo the first rectangle, but a strip of iron clamped to the plywood sheet at each end with a vicegrip would do fine. bear in mind the cuts don't have to be accurate, any imperfections will be sealed with silicone, which will need to be used anyway.
I put a wood screw every 3 inches. the first build used pilot holes for each screw, the second used none. I didn't have any issues as a result.
I think any awkward angles will be easily handled with an improvised compass. honestly, i don't expect to have any issues with the common slanted frugelhorn. i won't be routing any cuts either, which is admittedly not ideal for the driver. it wouldn't make any difference for the bg20 which is internally mounted.