Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Did you get around to trying 11ms in the Frugel XL and if so what's the verdict on the combo?

Have you any plans to do a stacked double Frugel XL/11ms, i.e., 2 11ms drivers per single stereo speaker?

1st day i actually am not fighting to look at the forum…

After our 1st listen to A11ms we decied that the next listens will be with EnABLed drivers. I have FH3 for the A7ms, and FHXL for the A11ms.

The Twin FHXL with 2 A11ms (a copper & a silver pair in each box), and the builder loves them. Now we just need to figure out to do with his new room.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Alpair 10.3 is quite a versatile wide-band driver, and plays well in a FH-XL cabinet. The Alapir 12P in a Super Pensil will probably not give you an upgrade vs an Alpair 10.x in a FH-XL

What Zia says. A12p would have to be compared to A10p, the voicing is similar. The A12p will give more quantity but gives up a bit of quality in comparions to A10p. It doesn’t go as high or as low and lacks some of the midrange DDR the 10s are known for.

If you want more quality as well as quantity, doubling up on drivers or adding woofers is the way to go. I have a WAW drawn up that uses 1 or 2 A12pw in a modular approach with FR as midTweeter of your choice. Use of A10x would allow for a system that makes few excuses. Much like the A12pWeN/A7.3eN MTMs.

BTW: our feelings is that even without that last 1/2 octave at teh top the A12pw is a better FR than the A12p.

With the continuing transition to the new basket style i do not know how long it will be before the A12xs are replaced with something the sae size. I imagine an 8” woofer with about the same footprint (so C-C can remain similar)as the A12x with a tiny biy more extension.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A12pw/A12p

I forgot to say that after huge pressure a new member of the Frugel-Horn familiy is in development. We have said over & over again a FH for the above drivers would be too large. But Scott has come up with Joan, who shoud be considered a slightly more straightlaced cousin. It looks like a FH but uses an alignment that leads to a more reasonable size box.

It should work with A12pw, A12p, FF225wk, W8-1772 and i expect more for those that just have to have a bigger driver.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have shared Chris’ amp journey over the last couple decades, and have some seriously good tube amps (and tried all of Chris). Still one of the best amps i have heared is the litte Class A PP amp based on the El Cheapo and Scott iron. But with 3.2w at clipping it has limited use.

The DynaMutt that Gregg-the-Geek built me sounded fabtastic, but some transitorty occislation was turning matched quads of EL34s into matched triples. Somewhere along the way i put Chris’ ACA in the systme and i was goobsmacked. So much so that i ventured away from my frugal-phile (tm) roots and got a Firstwatt SIT 3. It just goes & goes. It is not a SET but it does bring a different set of virtues to the table.

An hifi is a sytem, and one needs to get all the pieces right for things to work in harmony. There are many ways to skin the cat.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I suspect it is also posted earlier in this thread:

Twin-FHXL-A11ms.jpg

https://frugal-horn.com//downloads/TwinFHXL-extents-050818.pdf

The drawings have been ou for near a year now.

dave

Thanks Dave.

If the wall/floor or corner of the room serves as an extension, and in the case of the corner, would it be detrimental to the bass if bass traps/absorbers are provided at the corner of the room?

No. Frout mouth would need to be at least 4x as large to get the same bass extension — likely longer as well. The wall/floor (or corner) of the room is an extention of the horn.

dave

I forgot to say that after huge pressure a new member of the Frugel-Horn familiy is in development... It should work with A12pw, A12p, FF225wk, W8-1772...

Oooh-la-la! I have a pair of 1772s that are sitting around in less-than-ideal makeshift cabinets. This certainly sounds interesting! I hope to learn more shortly!

Eric