Frugel-Horn XL for Alpair 10.3/10p, Fostex FF165wk, more

Jason , I wonder if one of the new tang band drivers can be used in the FH3, or XL to any success ???

I've been considering the 6.5" TB driver for the XL. Only because I love the 5" version so much!
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-959--w6-2144-spec-sheet.pdf
Another one i'd like to try is this one, but it's far more expensive & i don't see it advertised at Part Express.
http://www.tb-speaker.com/uploads/files/893997b7c1f692adbaec13c7451c1d74.pdf

I was also considering squeezing in an 8 inch, but i've decided to be a bit more sensible with my approach & stay with 6-6.5" drivers. Plus the 8" driver just won't look right.....too big.

Now here's a great idea.... Frugel Horn XXL!:eek: designed for an 8" full range:D
There's so many sublime 8" FR drivers out there! Tang Bang has 3 very nice drivers to pick from with 95db, 93db & 90db sensitivity.
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-893-tang-band-w8-1772-specifications-46403.pdf
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-894-tang-band-w8-1808-specifications-46404.pdf
http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-960--w8-2145-spec-sheet.pdf
IMO this would indeed be an exceptional large room speaker project. I'd be all over this if it was to happen!;)

Jason

Jason - something like the XXL - (I'd call it the " Tatum ") was briefly considered - ie specifically for the A12.2P , but if following the Frugel's templated topology, the enclosure could get to almost Kleinhorn footprint territory. OK, that's somewhat of a exaggeration, but they wouldn't be small.

And yes, in the context of above, 8" might be fun to imagine, but could be too large for regular domestic applications

What, you didn't think I'd go there?

Jason - something like the XXL - (I'd call it the " Tatum ") was briefly considered - ie specifically for the A12.2P , but if following the Frugel's templated topology, the enclosure could get to almost Kleinhorn footprint territory. OK, that's somewhat of a exaggeration, but they wouldn't be small.

And yes, in the context of above, 8" might be fun to imagine, but could be too large for regular domestic applications

What, you didn't think I'd go there?

Ha ha....Kind of thought you would've ;). Bring on the "Tatum" I say:D

I guess for most people it would be too large, but for me i currently have very large 3 way, floor standing speakers, with a footprint of: 1220h x 300w x 415d Transmission Line bass loading 96 litres.

Base depth of the "Tatum" enclosure maybe an issue.....but is it possible to design with less depth at the base, when compared to the FHXL?

Just imagine the rich sound stage, leaping out from a high end 8" driver :cool:
So many high end, Back Loaded Horn Speakers use 8" drivers.......Yes...Yes it's time to bring on the "Tatum"....:nod

No pressure!:)

Jason

I think reducing the depth & effective mouth size would probably compromise the performance - how much is open to discussion. Scott did a design for the Alpair12.2P - Avebury. It uses a different topology than the Frugles, but is still a back load of sorts.

My best stab at describing it would be "(bifurcated) Olson manifold expansion back loaded horn". No doubt in the right system and room they'd be stunning, but at 11" wide, 16.675" deep and 73.5" tall, and requiring at least a foot or so behind, I wouldn't consider a pair to be and inbotrusive proposition.

Avebury-3d.gif

oh, and Scott's gonna hate that name - or maybe not ? ;)

room riendly folded-Avebury, concept

I think reducing the depth & effective mouth size would probably compromise the performance - how much is open to discussion. Scott did a design for the Alpair12.2P - Avebury. It uses a different topology than the Frugles, but is still a back load of sorts.

My best stab at describing it would be "(bifurcated) Olson manifold expansion back loaded horn". No doubt in the right system and room they'd be stunning, but at 11" wide, 16.675" deep and 73.5" tall, and requiring at least a foot or so behind, I wouldn't consider a pair to be and inbotrusive proposition.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
,oh, and Scott's gonna hate that name - or maybe not ? ;)

Hi there C: Folding Avebury at (or just above) centerline, would have dimensions of 22"w by 16.675"d by 36.675"h (or about 42"h, depending on the fold ), the double mouth would be at the floor...regards, Michael

Not that I want to put words in his mouth, but I'm thinking Scott would have been aware of that, and designed the three models in the Woden monolith series - I guess actually 6, if you count the versions for Fostex drivers- as well as the numerous models on the much earlier "Spawn" series in this format for specific reasons.

With any luck, me might elaborate on that.

On my XL's I used sheet polyfil in the V , on sheet went from the point to the top, and another went 3 inches up from that one and another 3 inches up from that totaling 4 sheets. I did not weight them, just filled the V loosely, cabinet is all glued together. Right or wrong? I used real wool felt, 1/2inch instead of blue jean ! Wasn't cheap but, wow, no question it will do its job!!!........???????????

Two - ALPAIR 10-P paper cone full range 6” speakers, see post 644. I broke in the speakers per the recommended procedure in a small bass reflex enclosure while building the Frugel horn XL’s. The speakers have low hours of usage just not using them which is the reason I am putting them up for sale. If interested PM me.

Was planning to get rid of a few tube amps I have . One being a stereomour from Bottle head . so I read somewhere that the XL's sound good with the 2A3 tube. so fired up the stereomour ,not the stereomour II with the 2a3 tubes, (have mine configured for 45 tubes ) and to my surprise they sound terrific together, anyone else heard the same???

Hi Kevner1954,

No experience with the 2A3, but in mt experience the Alpair drivers sounded good with the tube amps I tried.

The 45 tube is well regarded among tube aficionados for its transparent and detailed sound. Though probably around 1.5 watts, it seems to be driving your Alpairs well (was it 10P or 10.3?).

You say the Gen 3 metal which I also have in boxes is not nessessarily a superior driver to the paper, is it worth my while to change to the metal drivers and go through even more break in to find out??

Slightly different presentation, more treble extension at the top with 10.3. Is it worth your while, only you can say - depends on what you like in a speaker.:)