Frugel-Horn Mk3

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Thanks.

The kit I have is PLENTY loud, so I think the FH3 is fine there. Just becomes a question if the FH3 gives me more bass, refinement making that upgrade worth the cost.

Dave, I 100% intend to get new drivers, and always wanted to try Markaudio, or anything the group suggests. You seem to suggest a big improvement.

Also, I do have bigger towers, so I can get a bass fix with a swap.

Thanks!

Joined 2020
Paid Member
As it relates to Bob's flat pack kits - can someone help me understand the regular vs. Supra-Baffle design? Is this a separate plate the driver mounts on that allows easier removal/swapping of drivers? Any images of what it looks like when built? Any reason I would NOT want this option (other than I think it might look 'ugly')?

There is no additional suprabaffle that I know of for FH3 per se. At least, I haven't designed one. Suprabaffles are usually enlarged sub-baffles added to the front of an enclosure to either lower the step-loss frequency, modify the diffraction signature, or some combination of both. FH3 being a boundary loaded design took those into account in the design stages, so none is really required from an acoustic POV. Some kit producers however, provide a removable sub-baffle to fix to the front baffle to facilitate driver-rolling, which can be useful.

As it relates to Bob's flat pack kits - can someone help me understand the regular vs. Supra-Baffle design? Is this a separate plate the driver mounts on that allows easier removal/swapping of drivers? Any images of what it looks like when built? Any reason I would NOT want this option (other than I think it might look 'ugly')?

Hi Ken, I will not argue with the experts here. but I can provide photos of my prototypes with the supra baffle that I make. I believe the best reason to get the SB is to allow for swapping out drivers easily and quickly. And as a "custom or boutique" builder I can really make just about anything you want. Here are photos of my FH3 and FHXl with supra baffles.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    989.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 252
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The supraBaffle is an option to allow easy change of drivers.

Few have been implemented, and we in th eend settles in somethign simple a son these FH-Lite.

FH-Lite-protosS.jpg

If you don’t like the stepped baffle you can make the supraBaffle cover the entire baffle.

The suraBaffle idea finds its populaization with the Cain & Cain horns and was to provide a more consistent wave launch. This idea evolved into shapes more minicing the B&W Nautalus midrange pods for minimum edge diffraction and at one point many shapes were tossed out.

Here an example using flat bits to approximate a tear-drop in one of Scott’s more exotic BVRs.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• Maiko-sB-egs.gif
    Maiko-sB-egs.gif
    140.3 KB · Views: 573
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That works fine. I’d ask to make sure they are standard 3 / 4” spacing.

You want the hole to be as small as possible (we had to work really hard to find a small diameter cup we liked, 2” hole), which means they would have to be rear mounted which makes them practically not removable after assembly. Something i do not recommend. At some point you will want to play with or have to change the wiring.

The posts that tuen up as suggested are not any i would use. Looking thru what they have:

Probably the best ones: https://www.parts-express.com/Gold-Dual-Binding-Post-091-335

091-335_HR_0.default.jpg

These are good too. I know they look cheesy, but they sound good. The posts could be removed and put onto the bling plate, but given that placement on the FH3 is naturally protected (being inside the horn mouth), i’d just use them as is. If you want to get fancy you could do a rebate and flush mount the bezel. These only require 2 holes large enuff to accomodate the wire and terminal (since we use 24g the terminal dominates), and wit \h 2 screws into the supporting panels an be removed from outside when you need to rewire. Parts Express Gold Binding Post Banana Jack 5-Way Speaker Terminal

260-302_HR_0.default.jpg

These are interesting if you only use banana plugs. https://www.parts-express.com/Gold-Banana-Jack-Pair-091-1160

091-1160_HR_0.default.jpg

dave

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback. Are you saying you don't like anything Parts Express has...and those are the least-bad options?

I don't know if you can speak for Bob, but if there is a default option on the kit he sells, I am happy to go with that and not over-think it.

I do want something I can remove after install.

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, as mp9 suggests.

ETI Research or WBT Next Gen if you wat to go max. The terminal cups we got used teh same posts as the second one i linked. I have alos used those. The WBT will not fit three-quarer inch spacing.

eti-research-binding-post-bp20c.jpg

The 1st can be subbed in, they are designed for amps thou. I prefer these, ConneX Connector Dual Binding Posts 5-Way Slot, if i am going that route (i have seen these on 10k commercial amps).

CONNEX-53464.jpg

Same manufacturer does one like the first PE one linked: ConneX Connector Dual Binding Posts 5-Way Hex Head

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
260-283_HR_0.default.jpg

That is exactkly the terminal cips we bought bty the hundreds, but we had to look really hard to find someone who would supply them with the plastic nutted posts used in the cheap PE posts i linked.

https://qcomponents.ca/McBride-TC14.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I do not like those solid metal posts. I have tossed many of them.

Two seconds with a craft knife. I really don't know why they bothered, the first thing anyone and everyone does when they buy these things is remove the blanking caps. Spades aren't all that popular in the UK (and rightly not -a pale, palid excuse for an eyelet & screw-lug ;) ), the majority are some form of banana derivatives or bare wire. On principle, I tend to view the latter as favourite from a connection POV, especially with tinned conductors or ends, but from a practical POV banana plugs do make life a whole lot easier. :D

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
some form of banana derivatives or bare wire. On principle, I tend to view the latter as favourite from a connection POV, especially with tinned conductors or ends, but from a practical POV banana plugs do make life a whole lot easier.

Agreed. A case of “how often do you swap speakers?”

And to take bare wire further, run he wire from inside the loudspeaker to outside loudspeaker and just used the binding posts to clamp the 2 wires together. Fairly easy if you use 24g solid like we do harder with welding cable. Not quite a spermanent as running the wire all the way to the amp.

dave