Frugel-Horn Mk3

I have only just found this thread and in the earlier posts I see people asking about using 3" drive units in it. I also see people saying thats it's Voight pipe.

Well it looks to me like a Needle: Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S - diyAudio it would be really easy to turn this into an FH-3".

I moved house last year and now have a room, at the rear of the garage about 7Ft wide and I can get the Needles right into the corner,s doing this does enhance the bass response a bit.

Jim

Hi,

It's speaker building time and I am about to buy a pair of Fostex 126En's. My valve amplifier is low powered.
The FH3's are top of the list (stunning design gents, many thanks). My only query is that I won't be able to get them near corners. It is appreciated that the FH3 is a new design so perhaps owners of previous incarnations could offer some general advice regarding siting?
A second option would be to go for a BIB, as the dimensions seem to fit the available space.
Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

Graham

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BIB & FH-1 need corner loading to extend the horn, extend bass, and smooth ripple. With its choke point deals with a lot of the ripple. A corner will still give more bass, but all the testing of our protos was done just in the proximity of a rear wall. Bass was well balanced with FE126, maybe a bit too full (but i like it) with the Mark Audio. I feel that a combination of differing stuffing schemes and room placement will makes these quite versatile.

dave

Having read this thread and the beta thread, I would like to build a pair of these speakers -- not to experiment with, but simply to put in my living room and enjoy.

Problem is, my expertise is in electronics, not speaker building, and I need some specific guidance regarding the stuffing which I do not see in either of the threads. If I specify that I will build using the FE126eN driver, can someone tell me how much stuffing to use, where to put it, and some idea of how densely to pack it to get me somewhere close to optimal?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If I specify that I will build using the FE126eN driver, can someone tell me how much stuffing to use, where to put it, and some idea of how densely to pack it to get me somewhere close to optimal?

As soon as i get a chance to fish out and weigh the polyester wool in the betas i will have that data for you. This will also likely be the amount suggested for any driver, with some drivers (like the MAs) perhaps needing more on the downward side of the horn below the driver.

dave

As soon as i get a chance to fish out and weigh the polyester wool in the betas i will have that data for you. This will also likely be the amount suggested for any driver, with some drivers (like the MAs) perhaps needing more on the downward side of the horn below the driver.

dave

I've been looking for felt to line the walls around the driver, and finding either very expensive 1/2" wool felt, or inexpensive '1 1/2" cotton felt batting' which I suppose could be stapled tightly to reduce its volume. Is this stuff appropriate for the purpose?

www.fabricandsupply.com