Frugel-Horn Mk3

Thanks, Doug. Does this list apply to the FH1, the FH3, or both?

-Dennis

FH Mk 3.
I took the four "suggested" drivers from the plan. The others are starting points for discussion. IMHO, though more expensive, the Visaton unit may have potential. It has the highest nominal power rating & therefore could make the FH3 useful in larger rooms.

Doug

Last edited:
we certainly found with the Fostex and MA drivers that we played with that combination of placement and amplifier type/operating mode would add a lot of spice to the mix - e.g. while all in essentially the same "weight class", the FE126eN liked PP triode mode, whereas the MA metal and paper cone benefited from the extra power and tighter LF control of pentode (the amp in question was by Greg da geek - started off life as Dyna ST70, but is much more than that now - a mixed breed of ideas)

we certainly found with the Fostex and MA drivers that we played with that combination of placement and amplifier type/operating mode would add a lot of spice to the mix - e.g. while all in essentially the same "weight class", the FE126eN liked PP triode mode, whereas the MA metal and paper cone benefited from the extra power and tighter LF control of pentode (the amp in question was by Greg da geek - started off life as Dyna ST70, but is much more than that now - a mixed breed of ideas)
As an aside, I've found that my 3 1/2 wpc (but who's counting!) TS cathode follower drives the MA chr70's very nicely.
Don

Placement

I would appreciate being pointed to a discussion of room placement for a Frugel-Horn. It is likely "old news" but these threads get tiresome to search and I get side tracked easily.

My only experience, and I may be mixing apples and oranges, is with the Klipsch Corner Horns. These behemoths convinced me that despite my adolescent admiration of Spinal Tap amplifiers that went to "11," anything more than one high quality watt was a waste of electricity. But placement was critical for the Corner Horns. These little guys seem to be placed more conventionally in the pictures I have seen.

Pointers would be welcome.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not enuff pairs have been made yet to nail that down. Part of this will come down to damping. As we have ours the MA drivers have ample bass (some may find it too much) close to a wall. FE126En is better balanced as we have it currently damped. More damping thou should reduce bass.

In other words i think these are going to be fairly tunable depending on placement, damping, and driver choice.

dave

Did someone suggest a range of drivers?

We have a new plywood wholesale distributer in town and they have some very tasty sheet goods available for very reasonable cost. The most immediately accessible drivers I have for this build, would be a pair of RastaMun HempTone HTFR5, You know, the "drop in replacements" for the FE127E. I can swear by their being drop in replacements because I store them in Fostex Fe127E boxes and the fit is unsurpassed.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tidbits/Hemptone-HTFR5-TS.gif

Would this be totally barking up the wrong tree. If so what knocks it out of contention?

Attachments

• Hemptone-HTFR5-TS.gif
    Hemptone-HTFR5-TS.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 927
We have a new plywood wholesale distributer in town and they have some very tasty sheet goods available for very reasonable cost. The most immediately accessible drivers I have for this build, would be a pair of RastaMun HempTone HTFR5, You know, the "drop in replacements" for the FE127E. I can swear by their being drop in replacements because I store them in Fostex Fe127E boxes and the fit is unsurpassed.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tidbits/Hemptone-HTFR5-TS.gif

Would this be totally barking up the wrong tree. If so what knocks it out of contention?

maybe nothing - could be a bit dark and muddy in the lower mid bass down compared to FE126En, but there's certainly one way to find out

honestly, aside from waiting for the glue to dry , and depending on finishing details, laying out and cutting the template for the side panels is probably the most time consuming part of the project

Many years ago I was in a place that repaired electronics for a couple of manufacturers, whilst chatting to the bloke about my non-functioning tuner he got a call from a customer regarding his amp. The customer was told that the amp developed a problem and that the protection circuitry kicked in, saved itself and blew up the power transistors. Nice one.

Hi

I was lucky enough to have been recently invited to Alan Elsdon's house for a demo of his Maeshowe's... :) What a cracking pair of speakers! I was really surprised by the amount of bass these tiny MA-70s produce. The size of the cabinet was also far less imposing than I had imagined.

I fancy another speaker build and Alan has kindly offered to bring them over to my house for a demo. We both run F5 amps so it will be interesting to hear them in a different environment.

yup, I think this one's a winner

when I get back from my little vacation in Bermuda, I'm gonna try and borrow them from Dave for a bit more intimate listening