Frugel-Horn Mk3

The cotton felt looks good -- doesn't look like 1.5" thick. For not much more you can get the really good stuff from Bob at Creative Sound.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/css/150054-new-product-acoustic-insulation.html

dave

I just placed an order with Creative Sound. I almost didn't because the shipping looked astronomical. I emailed and asked about that, and they said they have to manually apply corrections to shipping for multiple items. Now the cost is very reasonable, and I look forward to getting the felt.

I started to build, I'm very curious about the sound. If anyone has heard about how, please describe the experience. Thank you. greetings from Hungary Brebó:)

Brebo, are you asking how this latest version of the FH sounds?

I'm sure how many pairs have been completed to date, but I can tell you about our own. In a few words as possible, I'd describe them as very dynamic and extended, with a large soundstage and great imaging.

The build is much simpler than the original FH( MKI), as well as several other BLH designs ( Buschhorn / Ron Clark A126, Fostex "recommended" design).

Depending on the driver selected (e.g. latest production version of FE126E), the design may benefit from corner boundary loading to achieve maximum LF extension and weight. In that regard they're somewhat similar to what I understand is required of the BIB design, and which is borne out by the one pair that I've heard ( FE108EZ).

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not know the English language entirely. FE126E speaker of the older type, the parameters are similar to the new series. I tried already a lot of boxes, but not really managed to lower the bar, and the treble is a bit aggressive. I hope that the well will have a MK3. 18 mm thick MDF material builds. When completed, send photos and an account of the experiences. Sincerely Brebó

Brebo, are you asking how this latest version of the FH sounds?

Depending on the driver selected (e.g. latest production version of FE126E), the design may benefit from corner boundary loading to achieve maximum LF extension and weight. In that regard they're somewhat similar to what I understand is required of the BIB design, and which is borne out by the one pair that I've heard ( FE108EZ).

I've read on another thread that the FE126 has a large response peak at 7KHz (or was it 5KHz?) that needs a notch filter. Would this be a good idea in this enclosure?

I've read on another thread that the FE126 has a large response peak at 7KHz (or was it 5KHz?) that needs a notch filter. Would this be a good idea in this enclosure?

As noted elsewhere, the recent production revisions to the FE126En have mitigated this particular issue somewhat, but for older drivers, or those still sensitive to this area on newer ones, there are methods other than active EQ or passive notch filters to treat the problem.

They do entail irreversible modifications to the cones, are more than a little controversial to some minds, and elicit a small but measurable sacrifice in sensitivity. I've been listening to FE126E and FE127 treated in this manner for most of the past decade, and am definitely a fan of the subjective (dare I say "musically relevant"?) improvement. (disclaimer - see signature line below)

... there are methods other than active EQ or passive notch filters to treat the problem.

They do entail irreversible modifications to the cones, are more than a little controversial to some minds, and elicit a small but measurable sacrifice in sensitivity. I've been listening to FE126E and FE127 treated in this manner for most of the past decade, and am definitely a fan of the subjective (dare I say "musically relevant"?) improvement. (disclaimer - see signature line below)

I assume you're talking about EnABL?

Hi everyone, been following this and beta build thread for some time. Congratulations to the authors on the design which is prompting so much interest and discussion.

My question is about simulation posted in post 24, intention of the choke is to act as a low pass filter, could someone please explain where on simulation is low pass filter effect visible? Both choked and unhooked versions are very similar up to 1000Hz? Also could be possible to see more simulations, i think that was mentioned in post 75 but there was no reply.

Thanks

In that regard they're somewhat similar to what I understand is required of the BIB design, and which is borne out by the one pair that I've heard ( FE108EZ).

Chris, are you referring to a BIB with FE108ESigmas or that you heard a pair of FH3s with the FE108ESigmas in?
I was just going to ask why nobody mentioned the 108ESigmas, being that the parameters fit in the ballpark...

Gaston