Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Just home from an evening with my friends with the Jordan JX92 drivers. We listened to the FH with my gen 2 alpair 7s, then with supra baffles, and lastly with the Jordans.

The Jordans are a tight enough fit - I think they just touch the internal panel, but they sat flush on the front baffle AOK. I just had them clamped in place, so hardly ideal.

So how did they sound - well very good actually! They seem to have a bit more body on vocals, but also seem a bit "airier" on top. Bass end was tight and tuneful - pretty much the same as the alpairs. But from vocals on up, they sounded different. On some recordings, they sounded better I thought (spoken word in particular) but when we played one piano track I thought the alpairs were a bit more natural. But then the Jordans were just clamped to the front baffle, so there was 2 big dirty clamps in the way and not perfectly sealed either.

So, the upshot is that the Jordan JX92 does indeed work, and sounds very good indeed. So much so that I think the guy is going to make up a pair himself!

Whether the Jordan is worth it (price wise) over the alpair is another matter. On another note, my gen 3s arrived today and are burning in as I type, so it wil be interesting to compare them in finished cabinets to the jordans in similar finished cabinets if my buddy ever gets to do his......

Fran

A simulation of fe-126...interesting, thanks!

Larry
Fostex FX120:

diyAudio

as well as CHR70.2:
diyAudio

CHP70 (G 1 as it would now be referenced, and possibly soon out of distribution)

diyAudio

Alpair 7 ( G1)
diyAudio

CSS EL70:

diyAudio

I've heard all above except for the FX120 and European CHP70 (G1), and it's probably time to fess up that my earlier overwhelming preference for the FE126En in this enclosure has been somewhat undermined by further listening to the various Mark Audio models. We still need to try with Alpair6 paper - another sleeper.

Last edited:
I've heard all above except for the FX120 and European CHP70 (G1), and it's probably time to fess up that my earlier overwhelming preference for the FE126En in this enclosure has been somewhat undermined by further listening to the various Mark Audio models. We still need to try with Alpair6 paper - another sleeper.

The CHP70 (G1) performs very well in the FH Mk3.... I've put my pair back in the cabs. I'm pretty sure you'd luv'em. :)

Frugal Frog Build

OK here is my feedback... Still early days on the listening front...

Speaker: Fostex FE126en
Material: 18mm commercial ply (that is what they call it here. It is a 11ply hardwood ply that is weather resistant (but not 100% waterproof like marine ply). The outside has a Sapele veneer on one side)
Finish: Vinyl wallpaper wrap on the sides and top/bottom. baffle is high gloss laquer and the horn mouth is matt NC laquer...
Stuffing: I used a dense quilt type material and for the walls I used a mix of one layer laminate floor undermat (a type of rubber mat) and 'dog blanket'...

I used the plans from the following post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...k3-builds-build-questions-51.html#post2751526

Everything was spot on. I drew up my own cut-list as I rebated all the pieces so I needed the width pieces to be wider (if that makes sense)... I also was not too concerned with grain as I covered the whole project...

My only diversion from the plan is that I added a 3mm MDF to the baffle so that i could get a smooth finish (as I required for that part)...

Cutting the curve ended up being relatively easy once I found a pole long enough in my Garage.

Here are some curve cutting pics:

Frugal Curve - Frugalhorn Mk3 build by arclients, on Flickr

notice the thick chalk mark on the trestle table. That was for lining the uncut board up. Worked a treat as the results were within 1mm of each other.

After cutting I clamped the sides together and smoothed the edge with a random orbital sander...

Once I have listened more I will report back on my sound impressions. There are a few issues I would like to sort out...

- One of those is the tendency for sibilance with the speakers
- a slight imbalance (rising response) in the upper midrange/lower treble) that can be grating.

I need to listen a whole lot more though. Experience has tough me that a good four weeks of listening where I can throw all sorts of music at the speakers will help me form a more balanced impression.

For pics of the finished speakers have a look at the following post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199849-frugel-horn-mk3-picture-gallery-3.html#post2791139

Big thanks to those brains that have contributed to this project. I am more than happy with my time/money investment on this project. :cheers: