freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

Last edited:

Attachments

• Included_parts.jpg
    Included_parts.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 308
Clearly the documentation lacks information about optional rotary encoder, IR receiver, potentiometer, connectors are documented, but examples of tested devices could help new users.

Also addons aren't well documented either. Nor backplates options.
I had to look at translated german forums to find some bits of info.

Where are the actual sources for documentation, what's the format? What's the default language (german or english)? A multi-lingual wiki would ease contributions imho.

Sorry, this all is for the next version fw planned and all can you found on github!
Master / developer branch, in the dev branch is all for the next fw included.
Please study all yourself at GitHub, it is well documented and use the dev fw and all will work!

Just for understanding for you, it is not a commercial product, but it is based on free will and help from everyone.

I'm out here (head shaking).

Sorry, this all is for the next version fw planned and all can you found on github!
Master / developer branch, in the dev branch is all for the next fw included.
Please study all yourself at GitHub, it is well documented and use the dev fw and all will work!

Just for understanding for you, it is not a commercial product, but it is based on free will and help from everyone.

I'm out here (head shaking).

Not sure what you are trying to explain here. I guess everybody understood that's not a commercial product.

I cloned the full github project, switched to develop branch and read the existing documentation, and there are clearly missing bits. What we are asking here is how to help.

Informations about how to build stuff, prerequisites, about addons, about external devices (rotary encoder, potentiometer, screen, etc..) , examples of setups, about possible power supplies are clearly lacking. I also found minor typos in English version.

As far I understand documentation is made with Apple Pages, which isn't really an open format. And there is no indication about how to contribute to documentation.

@zas: I think the point is, that the features you're talking about are not officially released, yet. Hence the lack of proper docs or examples. I suppose the connectors are in the docs in case someone wants to write that code (which dspverden is now writing himself).

As for Carsten's harsh reaction: That might be some "language barrier"-esqe issue, because what you wrote could be misinterpreted as "demanding something" rather than "offering to help". Until your reply to Carsten I was under the "demanding" impression as well, but now hat you clarified what you meant, I mentally moved your intention to the "you're wondering how to help" category ;-)
However, I'm afraid you two have to sort that out by PM...?

Regarding the documentation format: I share your sentiment. If everything is in git, maybe some flavor of markdown would be better suited. Not as beautiful, but allows for textual diffs and easier contribution to the official docs (and can be converted to both html and pdf).

However, if dspverden anticipated that he'd be the only person working on the project, I really wouldn't blame him for using some "low effort" format.

@454Casull: I think a Wiki would be a good idea, though I am not sure how that should be implemented.

Not sure how often dspverden looks into this forum (or if he has the time to read every single reply) - maybe you want to open an issue on GitHub to discuss this if he doesn't react in a week or two?

I'd offer help with either endeavor, but already have two aurora-related time sinks (I'm currently planning on some code contributions to the ESP32 FW and still want to work on my aurora-tool).

@zas: I think the point is, that the features you're talking about are not officially released, yet. Hence the lack of proper docs or examples. I suppose the connectors are in the docs in case someone wants to write that code (which dspverden is now writing himself).

Ok, it makes things clearer to me. But even this isn't really clear, as those features are shown everywhere features are listed (even on the kickstarter) and there are no mention those are in dev.

As for Carsten's harsh reaction: That might be some "language barrier"-esqe issue, because what you wrote could be misinterpreted as "demanding something" rather than "offering to help". Until your reply to Carsten I was under the "demanding" impression as well, but now hat you clarified what you meant, I mentally moved your intention to the "you're wondering how to help" category ;-)
However, I'm afraid you two have to sort that out by PM...?

Yup, I guess that's related to "language barrier". I'm not a native English speaker either. No offence taken.

Regarding the documentation format: I share your sentiment. If everything is in git, maybe some flavor of markdown would be better suited. Not as beautiful, but allows for textual diffs and easier contribution to the official docs (and can be converted to both html and pdf).

Markdown + github pages (serving html from markdown) would be a straight forward solution, allowing revision tracking, keeping stuff in one place, and easing contributing.

However, if dspverden anticipated that he'd be the only person working on the project, I really wouldn't blame him for using some "low effort" format.

I can understand that. Current documentation is pretty good, but everything can be improved, that's the whole point of open source.

@454Casull: I think a Wiki would be a good idea, though I am not sure how that should be implemented.

A wiki would imply a separate hosting, as said above, markdown docs along github pages would keep things all together.

Not sure how often dspverden looks into this forum (or if he has the time to read every single reply) - maybe you want to open an issue on GitHub to discuss this if he doesn't react in a week or two?

I will for sure if no news from him here.

I'd offer help with either endeavor, but already have two aurora-related time sinks (I'm currently planning on some code contributions to the ESP32 FW and still want to work on my aurora-tool).

I have a bunch of ideas too, waiting for the board to start working on this stuff. Happy to find an open alternative to minidsp/minisharc I'm using since years.

Thanks for your kind answer.

Last edited:
Good evening,

I am very happy that there is now an increasing interest in contributing to this project. That's great! The idea behind freeDSP-aurora is that everyone is invited to add ideas and to share it with others. That's why it is open source and CC-BY-SA licensed.
To make communication for the programming nerds a bit easier I have created a chat room on discord. I think an audio forum is not the best place to discuss, wether to use camel case style or how to solve something with a lambda function. ;)
So if you are interested in that group please drop me an email on info at auverdion.de and I will send you the invitation link. Please note that the chat room is not for giving general support like how to connect a volume pot. It should be for used for discussing implementation details of the software or how to improve the documentation.

Raphael