freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

Take a look at the github repository. There you will find step files for all boards. And if not you can make them with KiCAD.

The 3D file for the full Aurora board is not on Github. I looked very carefully, and now I did a full file search. There are only 3D files for the Addon boards. Please make one, as I think it'll help a lot of people, even me, and I'm not exactly a novice in speaker building, just not so knowledgeable on the electronics side

Last edited:
@DarpMalone:
I think you damaged the DSP itself. You can use ice spray to check which component heats up very fast, but I guess the short circuit is inside the DSP chip.

Do you have a hot air solder station (SMD rework station)?

Or if you want you can send me your board and I can try to repair it.

Raphael

@DarpMalone:
I think you damaged the DSP itself. You can use ice spray to check which component heats up very fast, but I guess the short circuit is inside the DSP chip.

Do you have a hot air solder station (SMD rework station)?

Or if you want you can send me your board and I can try to repair it.

Raphael
I'd appreciate that. Please PM me your mailing address. I'm not brave or experienced enough to tackle such an undertaking :)

Thanks Raphael

Yes. It is Open Source. You can generate production files and send them to a manufacturer of your choice. Be aware: It is currently difficult to order in China due to Corvid19.
Or you order an assembled board from auverdion.de when they are back in stock.

I'm not a programmer. I think I should buy an assembled board that I can use right away. Let me see what I can find on auveredion.de.
Can you post some board measurement diagrams?

@dspverden

I'm having a bit of trouble with regards to the volume potentiometer setting for Aurora. I check the "Enable Volume Potentiometer" in auverdionControl, install the plugin, and unplug/replug Aurora as requested. However, volume control is still non-functional and upon restarting auverdionControl and syncing the "Enable Volume Potentiometer" option has returned to un-checked state.

I have tried this with all three default Plugins and have not had any success. Is there something I'm doing incorrectly?

Sorry for the double post, but I found another, likely unrelated issue. I was playing some test tones through my Aurora board (Analog In -> Analog Out) and noticed some significant distortion on a 1kHz square wave test (linked below, blue is Analog In, purple is Analog Out).

AuroraDSP 1kHz & 2kHz Square Test - Album on Imgur

This distortion remained present across many different frequencies (although less pronounced at extremes), different channels (ch 1-4 tested), different test and grounding setups, and different inputs (USB and Analog In). It was present both on the XLR output and directly on the DAC output pins. This was all tested on the stock "8 Channel" mode in auverdionControl, with all DSP parameters disabled.

Just looking at the waveform, it reminds me a lot of a non-linear phase shift issue, or a group delay all-pass (HF transients offset from LF sustain). However I'm not really sure why this would be happening, since all the DSP parameters are disabled and it should just be a straight pass through. Is there some baseline phase shift in the DSP architecture that's not being bypassed?

Though I've no means of measuring it, I also hear distortion on the lower frequencies (distorted/out of phase/clipped bass). I'm using the USB audio input from a raspberry pi with Hypex NC400 modules as amplifiers. All filter are on bypass and I'm also using the 8channel plugin. Tried lots of things, but was not able to solve it yet.

You guys know that you can overdrive the inputs on this with to high of a voltage.

In the Analog-In case the input is being driven at 0dBu (2 vpp, 0.775 vrms), which shouldn't clip. In the USB case it's being driven at full scale peak (from a PCM wave generator, no clipping). Even then this distortion doesn't look like clipping at all, it looks like a phasing issue (see example here).

A quick check confirms that this wave-shape is also present at -6dBu and -20dBu

Though I've no means of measuring it, I also hear distortion on the lower frequencies (distorted/out of phase/clipped bass). I'm using the USB audio input from a raspberry pi with Hypex NC400 modules as amplifiers. All filter are on bypass and I'm also using the 8channel plugin. Tried lots of things, but was not able to solve it yet.

Here's my measurements at 200Hz

The phase distortion seems to be much less apparent at lower frequencies, to the point where I'm not 100% confident it would be audible (not an expert here though). Phase distortion also doesn't really sound like clipping in my experience, more like a smear of impulses and high frequency sparkle.

Could be the same issue, might not be, unsure. You'd definitely want to try running your system from a known good source and seeing if the problem persists.