freeDSP-aurora - DSP with 8 I/Os, USB Audio, S/P-DIF, ADAT, Bluetooth and Wifi contro

I also attempted to check this behavior on the ADAT input (Optical_RX Pin) but couldn't seem to get it to work (Expansion 1-8?). Is this not implemented yet?

Maybe found out why this wasn't working. Was accidentally driving 5v ADAT logic into the Optical_RX pin assuming it was buffered, but upon looking at the schematic it appears to just be tied directly to the XMOS chip which is 3.3v logic.... sooooo I might have burned out the input. Does anyone else have Expansion 1-8 known working on their board before I go out and buy a replacement XMOS?

Additionally I seem to have gotten sporadic functionality on the volume control pin after re-flashing my firmware and brute forcing auverdionControl for a while (hooray)! However, volume control from 0->3.3v only seems to yield about 30dB of volume control range. Is this something that's editable in SigmaStudio and if so would someone be able to point me in the right direction for changing it?

Hi Raphael, thanks for all your efforts on the updated firmware!

I'm currently running a custom Sigmastudio plugin but would like to be able to switch back to a stock plugin so I can make use of the new web app firmware.

Do you think it would be possible to add some more input mixing options to the 8 channel plugin please? A full matrix mixer (like on RME soundcards) would be amazing but for my use just being able to sum ASRC inputs 0+1 to send to my 4 subwoofer channels would work perfectly.

My current custom setup for clarity:
ASRC 0 -> L) tweeter and midbass channels
ASRC 1 -> R) tweeter and midbass channels
ASRC 0 + 1 -> 4x summed mono subwoofer channels (individual EQ/highpass/lowpass/gain/delay)

Thanks!

Maybe found out why this wasn't working. Was accidentally driving 5v ADAT logic into the Optical_RX pin assuming it was buffered, but upon looking at the schematic it appears to just be tied directly to the XMOS chip which is 3.3v logic.... sooooo I might have burned out the input. Does anyone else have Expansion 1-8 known working on their board before I go out and buy a replacement XMOS?

:eek:

@dspverden

After a bit more tinkering I do believe my Optical_RX pin on the XMOS is dead. Now that I have the receiver running on 3.3v I'm thinking of workarounds.

Do you think if I simply changed the pin assignment from X1D38 (1O) to X1D39 (1P) in "xk-audio-216-mc.xn" and solder bridged the pins together that it could work? My hesitation here is that 1P is already assigned to SPDIF_IN (although the pin is unused in the KiCad documentation), and I wasn't sure if removing that assignment would affect other operations...

volume control from 0->3.3v only seems to yield about 30dB of volume control range. Is this something that's editable in SigmaStudio and if so would someone be able to point me in the right direction for changing it?

Finally got around to playing with SigmaStudio, but running in to a bit of a Aurora related roadblock...

Is there currently a stand-alone way to compile a Sigmastudio project to an Aurora .fw file? I looked at both the build sigma2aurora makefiles and the sigma2aurora .cpp but they both seem to have Qt dependencies and there's not really much documentation for how to run them otherwise.

For reference the change I'm looking at in SigmaStudio is to add a audio-taper lookup table for volume control (i.e. set volume as a function of dB/V rather than V/V). This functionality might also be useful for other users setting volume via control voltage. Would additionally be looking to add a 6FIRs and 8FIRs plugin later down the line if possible.

Question on the board. Why are the caps so loose on the board? Is it supposed to be this way? I just don't want this to break on me. Can this board be placed in a speaker enclosure and survive the vibrations? Thanks
If you look inside a computer power supply, you often find a yellow rubbery glue that goes around the caps which seems to be for mechanical stability... I wish I knew what it was so I could tell you.

Question on the board. Why are the caps so loose on the board? Is it supposed to be this way? I just don't want this to break on me. Can this board be placed in a speaker enclosure and survive the vibrations? Thanks

Well that's normal for these caps. They are only fixed by their pins. Hot melt glue is an option if you want to fix them (warning: applying glue on the board renders warranty invalid). Better would be to protect the board from varying air pressure / sound vibrations. Make an extra chamber for them inside you loudspeaker box. Then you can also make a good air flow for cooling.

Is there currently a stand-alone way to compile a Sigmastudio project to an Aurora .fw file? I looked at both the build sigma2aurora makefiles and the sigma2aurora .cpp but they both seem to have Qt dependencies and there's not really much documentation for how to run them otherwise.

Download the QT framework (I am using Qt 5.12.5), open sigma2aurora.pro in QT creator and build it. Then open a terminal, browse to the location of the binary created by QTcreator and enter ./sigma2studio (on macOS) or sigma2studio (on win). This will display the further instructions. Actually you just have to give two arguments: The file TxBuffer_IC_1.dat and NumBytes_IC_1.dat with path. These files are made by SigmaStudio when you click in Export System Files.
Sigma2aurora build the dsp.fw for your board then. Make now a copy of the folder e.g. 8channels and replace dsp.fw with you new build file. You can now upload the modified folder to your board and after a reboot aurora will execute your modified DSP sketch.

Sorry, due to Corvid19 there was no time yet to make a HowTo for this.

Raphael

If you look inside a computer power supply, you often find a yellow rubbery glue that goes around the caps which seems to be for mechanical stability... I wish I knew what it was so I could tell you.

On pro-sound stuff it is usually a silicon caulking. High temperature rating and a dielectric.

Don't see why it would be any different in a quality computer power supply.

Dow 737 is a neutral-cure sealant.

Yep. But this is a structural adhesive. Not the same a garden variety silicone caulk.

GE Sealants | Supreme Silicone Kitchen & Bath Sealant

GE Sealants | Advanced Silicone 2* Kitchen & Bath Sealant

Both of these caulks from GE are also neutral curing.

You got me thinking. And the stuff I use when I am working away from consulting is the fastest curing silicone for bathrooms and exterior caulking. I work as a carpenter/renovator when the consulting gets to slow.

The neutral cure stuff is quite low odour. And that was what got me thinking. Some of the really fast setting caulks are also very low odour. And upon checking they are indeed neutral curing silicone rubber.

when might addon B or C be back/in stock? by then what's the likely hood of the rack case/connections cut-out panel be available? from the shop or separately from a 3rd party designing it?

Looking at the circuit diagrams. I see the XLR in/outs have resistors and caps. A IC for SPDIF coax/optical in/outputs. I guess these are all needed to use these functions? What are they for?

Thank you

Hi,

regarding the addons I can say nothing. The current crisis is corrupting everything. Actually a new batch of DSPs should have arrived already two weeks ago but they are still not ready for shipping because two components are not delivered to the assembler yet. So it is quite impossible to make any guess atm. Sorry.
The panels are a third party design. I am not involved in that.
The resistors and caps on XLR are RFI-filter. On addon B the IC is a multiplexer for switching between SPDIF inputs. On addon C there is a receiver for AES3.