Fountek FR88-EX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Listening to a Tjaikovski ballet right now and it is just so shockingly good how these little speakers reproduce it!! Just awesome!

This might be random since this is the full range forum, but aren't you at least slightly annoyed or worried about too much movement coming out of full rangers without the support of woofers? I mean I looked at a bunch of messages on something like 120 pages of threads until I read a few times people blew out their full rangers. I'm now leaning on the side of doing a FAST build. :house:

This might be random since this is the full range forum, but aren't you at least slightly annoyed or worried about too much movement coming out of full rangers without the support of woofers? I mean I looked at a bunch of messages on something like 120 pages of threads until I read a few times people blew out their full rangers. I'm now leaning on the side of doing a FAST build. :house:

well, I've been playing with FR drivers ranging from 3-6" for more than a decade, and have yet to "blow out" a pair due to excessive listening levels or digging for bass - I have however discovered the sweet smell of melting voice coil adhesive - when the power supply rail of a direct coupled SS amp decided to bypass the output stage and apply itself directly to the speaker terminals

that said, there's a lot to be gained from relieving smaller drivers (let's use the term "wide-bander") from the heaviest of lifting ( i.e. anywhere from 150Hz to 300Hz )

Sure I know that bass support will greatly relieve these little ones, but then at quite high listening levels. In my living room it is a great marriage with the listening distance and room acoustics that naturally amplify the bass region. Knowing every system will have limitations, it will either be size, price, complexity, power handling, just to name a few. You just need to relax and enjoy and then when you pay the least of attention to it it gets to you how great it actuallty is! I just noticed that a couple of classical recordings were so transparent in the sense that I could judge the recording quality so well, or perhaps better said the recording flavour. A sound engineer doesnt only choose the brand of mics, but also placement and distance is so infuential. I've also watched a guitar duo play which was mic-ed pretty distant and the room acoustics were so clearly present and real.

Sure I can put a pair of larger two ways next to it that will definitely have the benefit in many ways, but these certainly have a few things up the sleeve they do far better.

If I had to summerize them in one word (I have called upon them before) it will be 'Pleasant' with a capital P!

Oh and before I forget to mention, they are superb with chello pieces, strings overall are hit with dynamics I haven't heard so far from a 3 incher. Orchestral work really really hits the spot, even timpani hits are felt in the stomach and definitely played out realistic, even at a quite high level. I wasn't listening alone, my mother and wife were there as well and agreed that the realness of the representation was astonishing! (P.S. my mother has a Van Medevoort tube amp with pretty serious BnS loudspeakers, she is IN TO AUDIO)

Last edited:
Managed to get a free powerbook (with broken screen, broken network card, broken casing, but replaced at least the screen...) and installed Fuzzmeasure, bought a mic, an Alesis IO2 and was able to make some measurements of my FR88EX box with notch.

To my surprise nothing seems to be wrong with my ears!!:rolleyes:

LIorG.jpg

Had to make that screenshot with my camera as there was no easier way for now to get the files from my still half broken powerbook...

Well, my boxes are far from ideal, I can have more bass extension with a good wooden box, but these are designed for a special purpose and need to be rugged and small rather than have the best of the best sound...

They still sound rather astonishing for their size though!

Do you use some kind of filter? Keep in mind that the curves above are measured with a little notch filter that suppresses the midrange area. Without they do tend to be a little shouty, not as much as the average 3 inch fullranger though, but the notch just makes them utterly pleasant....

If the filter is passive, I would appreciate the values. Save me a bit of time you know.

Just putting together some boxes today. About 230 cu in tuned to 70Hz. Seems a reasonable start for this use.

Nothing much changed since the last time I posted them mate...

Okay, been doing some more work with the FR88EX. Now at my desk they have by far the best percieved response with 11.5uF, 5R mox, 0.3mH

The filters for the systems are now:

FR89EX:
AMPLIFIER------> Notch of: 3,3R 10W mox + 10uF polyester cap + 0,3mH ferrite core choke -------> another notch of 6,8R 10W mox + 10uF polyester cap + 0,3mH ferrite choke-------> Driver unit.

FR88EX:
AMPLIFIER--------> Notch of:5R 10W mox + 11,5uF polyester cap (8,2+3,3) + 0,33mH ferrite choke-------> Driver unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.