Forum Migration - General Q&A

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Has anyone tried the print function? It's got to be better than before, but are there any tricks besides the "Print Thread" option?
@gerardv I think we need to post some FAQ items in the first post of this thread to help cover the common questions.

rif please see my earlier posts for details.

We'll start a thread on where to take the print thread / enhanced print thread function from where it is now to where it needs to be via consultation with the members to find out how they are actually using it so we can ensure the goal posts are clear and the way it works kicks the goals members are wanting. Right now it works but it could be better, but we need to be sure what is the definition of better as we're pretty sure people aren't printing out 1,000 page threads on 1,000 pieces of paper (or perhaps they are). Etc. We'll ask, review, plan, and develop.
Hi
Generally ehjoying the new platform and finding my way around.
One issue I would note is the rounding up on forum views & posts.
My most popular subwoofer thread (which unfortunately I did not start)
TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)
on the old platform was up to 1,075,000 views but now is rounded up to 1M and 3K posts. Which is not very useful for me to monitor any activity on the thread. Maybe it will clock up to 2M in another 10 years or so?
Is there anyway to check the statistics on large threads?
x.y or x.yy might work better than x, this is all due for a review, and will probably end up looking more like Discourse's way of conveying this information. When you mouse over the abbreviation I think it should show the full number. Perhaps even async load up a pop up sparkline or graph of the thread's growth history.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I noticed that links to all of the inline images cited from DIYA hosted images posted in threads no longer works (because the directory structure and addresses are not identical, if you look at the url it now has a .xxx appended to it). I use inline images cited from other DIYA threads extensively in my posts (thinking that they would be preserved more robustly than citing an external image server). Especially the post 1 introduction of a new thread I use a lot of referenced images. These introductions are now devoid of images. Will this be something that will be slowly resolved?
For example, please look at Post 1 of this thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor.273524/
Thank you.
Bump.
Just checking to see if we have found a solution for all the orphaned links to DIYA hosted images from previous website?
Thank you.

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm wondering, and have attempted to locate without success, if there's a way to make the other members location default to visible, without having to always click on that little \/ arrow thing to view it.
While I might yet get proven wrong I do not think that this is an option. However we do plan to have the user's location show up as a flag - it didn't make this first release but it is on the to do list.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have received some PM’s from folks wondering what happened to my manufacturer’s forum. They couldn’t find it because I guess it got moved around. Will the previous directory structure of where forums are located from the home page change or be moved around permanently?
Thanks,
X

There is a .170 after the old url and I think this might be the problem?

“https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/xrk-audio.170/“

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have received some PM’s from folks wondering what happened to my manufacturer’s forum. They couldn’t find it because I guess it got moved around. Will the previous directory structure of where forums are located from the home page change or be moved around permanently?
Thanks,
X

There is a .170 after the old url and I think this might be the problem?

“https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/xrk-audio.170/“
The commercial sector block was accidentally left in the "Forums" mega-menu. It contained old dead links that didn't work, and has now been removed.

It has been replaced by the Marketplace tab in order to give vendors who are making money from the site, and are generous enough to financially contribute to the site, more exposure. We'll be working on improving this and options for vendors as time goes on.

So, there is no more manufacturers section, just "vendors".

If your old links don't work, please post them in the broken links discussion as mentioned a few times. All broken links should go in there. We fixed one class today, still working on the image format that is still broken you posted there.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
PRR not sure we are talking about the same thing.

Can you be very specific and post a screenshot and URL so I know exactly what page and what information you're talking about. Something I have noticed in this process is that members are using one or two words to describe something or a place or a type of data but there are often many possible interpretations of what those words could mean. The more specific and precise the better I can provide succinct responses. Thanks.

For example, I think stretchneck was talking about the site home, wanting it to show the contents of the forum home. I'm not sure what you're saying because I think you're agreeing with me that the site home should show "all we got" in terms of recent discussions.