Forum Migration - General Q&A

GerardV,

In general, the quality of a post is going to be directly related to the number of characters in it.

If someone responds with the word "Like", does it tell me anything that is useful. Nope.

If the person tried something that the OP posted about and it worked for this poster, then they can respond with a complete sentence, such as "I tried it and it worked". That is useful information.

I would put in a minimum 8 character response requirement.

I would also have a minimum character requirement for the subjects of a thread. In general, this isn't a problem on DIYAudio, but on other forums it is a big problem. There are something like 60 characters available, but some people think that their complete thought about a subject can be captured in only 8 characters.

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How will 'subscribed' threads carry over?
Your watched/subscribed threads data will be migrated. We've found though that it won't show up immediately until there's activity on the watched thread, so until there's a new post on Xenforo on a thread you watch it doesn't appear in your watched threads list. A weird glitch but as each thread gains more posts all your subs will show up.

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Xp was something we all got used to over time and people found a way to make more or less everything work. So when the next windows versions came out they were not so well received. Looking back now it is easy to see they couldn't stay with XP as it was - but at the time there were howls of "why are they changing my stuff".

I expect the same here - we're not changing the forum because we like spending heaps of time and money to make people's lives harder - we're trying to keep it working for another 22 years - but many will not understand that.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Credit to chrisb.

Attachments

• cc.jpeg
    cc.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 110
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I noticed that links to all of the inline images cited from DIYA hosted images posted in threads no longer works (because the directory structure and addresses are not identical, if you look at the url it now has a .xxx appended to it). I use inline images cited from other DIYA threads extensively in my posts (thinking that they would be preserved more robustly than citing an external image server). Especially the post 1 introduction of a new thread I use a lot of referenced images. These introductions are now devoid of images. Will this be something that will be slowly resolved?
For example, please look at Post 1 of this thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor.273524/
Thank you.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi ... having seen the "diyaudio being upgraded" message for the last couple of days I have been anticipating what the new diyaudio would look/be like, and although based only on quick glances it looks fine & also "pleasant to behold". Congrats & thanks for doing this work ;)

I notice that Jason mentions that at this point in time this mainly is a migration, however, would like to add +1 to this suggestion by stretchneck:

Will there be an option within the new website for each new topic to have a summary section?

It would indeed be great if this would be possible - maybe with the option of adding additional posts to post #1 (e.g. post #1, #1A, #1B) so that the thread starters (or also other members invited in by the thread starter) may give a summary, update sections, add images, an "important links" post section, or the like, so as to structure and help accessibility to a given thread as it evolves. Maybe also that the thread starter may hand over control of the thread to another member so that if the thread starter ceases to be interested in the topic the first posts may continue to be updated.

And then just a brief comment to say that although I have not yet tried the functionality of the bookmark option I think it is a great addition! Previously I used Google bookmarks but appreciate checking out and using this feature within diyaudio.

One question, though: I can't seem to find the "private messages" anywhere ... Can you help point me to where they are located?

Cheers & thanks,

Jesper

Last edited:
Please is there any plan to make original links to individual posts coming from external sites work?

E.g. original link

Code:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/349818-camilladsp-cross-platform-iir-fir-engine-crossovers-correction-etc-247.html#post6851858

obtained by clicking on the post number in the upper right corner of the previous version jumps to the last page of that long thread, instead of being rewritten to:

Code:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/camilladsp-cross-platform-iir-and-fir-engine-for-crossovers-room-correction-etc.349818/post-6851858

Maybe I have overlooked something. Thanks a lot for considering, keeping the post links spread throughout internet functional is of utmost importance, IMO.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
phofman, the first link you post above was a faulty link. It was one of those that takes you to the correct thread but the wrong page if your posts per page were different to the person who posted the link. I have fixed many of those in the past because they did not work for some members.

Thanks for your fast reply. I know there was a problem when one changed the number of posts per page from the default but I always thought I kept the default value, for this specific purpose of being able to generate working links. I did not have people complaining about failed links. But maybe I actually did something wrong, it's history now :)

Nevertheless, please would there be an option to consider adding a rewrite rule to your web server for cases like this? I believe they will be plentiful and structure of two URLs suggests a regular expression could ensure the rewrite, using standard features like RewriteCond of the Apache web server or similar features of other web servers. Thanks a lot for considering.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@phofman, On the old site, the only way to do it right was to right click on the post number and choose copy link location.
Screenshot from 2021-12-10 20-32-04.png

Now, I am going to write a recommendation for you along the lines you have suggested about going back through the links. I do not have an answer today about whether it is possible, or how long it might take.

@EUVL, at the moment you cannot make that change, but it is popular and is under consideration.

Last edited: