Fixed gain field recorder?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the feedback Marcel!

Now one need to learn how to place the mics also :)

Improvements to be considered:

• Find out whole recording system linearity and make a compensation process
  • Better mic / disc stand incl. mic holder
  • Galvanic isolator for USB connection to ADC inc. battery feed to ADC. Saw some German product - a bit pricy...
  • An additional, even more portable and easier/quicker mic stand for "street photo" style recordings.

And the question about the TI based AD.... resurrect or abandon... would it be better or worse?

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I placed UGFR and my Line Audio OM-1 and offered the same stimuli.

How do one get a graph out of the difference form REW?

UGvsOM.jpg

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
On the recording above there is some wind induced LF swooshing at times. It was very calm until the bells started to ring of course :) one can hear the snow that came down the last 2 days is starting to melt and drip. I had no wind sheilds at this time. Thinking about something but the "field" I have in mind is not outdoor so much so really no bug issue for me. But an effective shield for the odd bird and marching band could come in handy :)

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So now I feel being in the end of the build of a recording system :)

At least the electrical aspects of it - I might improve some of the mobility aspects of the gear but now it is absolutely usable and sound fine.

I made a new organ recording today in the same church as before. Check out the attachments.... its probably the last for a while - they are fed up with me I think :-D

There are some modifications made since the last organ recording:

• New cable to the mics - dimension now allow it to come thru the holes made - better quality cable.
  • New cable to the capsules - old factory ones almost fall of - quite poor soldering.
  • Sealed the mic half with sikaflex - also sealed the cable entry so now a sealed cavity.
  • Damping material inside mics
  • Change the bipolar lyttics in the ADC for non-polar and now with higher voltage capacity.
  • New rubber band suspension for the mics.

You can hear a short 24/44 excerpt by download the attachment.

Next occasion to use UGFR is at the swedish prince birthday and the 21 shot salute fired not long away from where I live. I have a bit of problem with this - I wonder how loud it is gonna get. And where to place the mics? How far and direction?

Here is the equipment for the salut: https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/57_mm_kanon_M/89

Here is the place: https://www.kungligaslotten.se/arti...slotten/2020-06-05-en-hogtidlig-halsning.html

Overview picture of site: https://www.kungahuset.se/images/18...0430_salut_Skeppsholmen_foto_H_Garlov_952.jpg

I used my SPL meter at todays recording - it showed 84 dBA during the last 3 second push - it can be heard in the end of flac download.

The statistics for that 3 sec part:

stats.jpg

The recording you listen to has been amplified 5x6 dB = 30 dB. This is my headroom if I dont change the sensitivity strapping on the Comos ADC. It's now on the most sensitive, 1,7V. The mic is fed 5V. No gain in the mic. There is a setting for 6,7V - thats appr. 9 dB lower sensitivity. Perhaps that needed. Canons are loud...

Mic:
sens.jpg

What say you?

//

Attachments

• AF5_xrpt_2444fla_short.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
For a 1 dB noise floor increase, the equivalent acoustical noise of the ADC has to be at most 8 dB(A) SPL, for a 3 dB degradation 14 dB(A).

The dynamic range is about 127.8 dB(A) according to a review I read -> corresponding maximum level 135.8 dB SPL...141.8 dB SPL.

The sensitivity of the microphone is -37 dBV at 94 dB SPL, so

135.8 dB SPL -> 4.8 dBV, about 1.74 V
141.8 dB SPL -> 10.8 dBV, about 3.48 V

Somewhere in that range. Anything higher will lead to a substantial noise floor increase.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Made L/R comparison measurement. Face to face config as below:

I think I will do a 1,2 dB gain adjustment as R ch is stronger on recording but no FR diff compensation. An absolute FR adjustment might be needed - have ta have access to a really reliable reference to do that.

LRconfig.jpg

y-axis spans 2 dB.

LRdiff1close.jpg

//

Attachments

• LRdiff1LF.jpg
    LRdiff1LF.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 35
  • LRdiff1.jpg
    LRdiff1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
With the help form an other thread and member Juhazi, i now have the possibility for a much more portable system. I reused an old Android phone that was OK but screen started to look bad in the edges. Juhazi suggested an app, USB Audio Recorder PRO from eXtream, for recording over the phone USB interface and it seems to work great. I also bought an OTG converter cable - it all worked and record in 24/96.

A-rec.jpg

This saves me 1,6 kg :)

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Industry is catching up :) "32-bit float ultra-high-dynamic-range recording technology offers the ability to record signals exceeding 0 dBFS. There is in fact so much headroom that from a fidelity standpoint, it doesn’t matter where gains are set while recording. Audio levels in the 32-bit float WAV file can be adjusted up or down after recording with most major DAW software with no added noise or distortion."

https://audioxpress.com/news/zoom-unveils-uac-232-32-bit-float-usb-c-audio-interface

But higher levels than 0 dBFS... really .. isn't +0,1 dBFS per definition = clip?

//

There is an analogue clipping level, see

https://zoomcorp.com/en/de/audio-interface/audio-interfaces/uac-232/#main

Maximum level XLR: +6 dBu TRS: +24 dBu / +11.5 dBu (when Hi-Z on)
Noise level max. -127 dBu A-weighted
Dual AD circuitry with 32-bit float recording technology

I think each channel gets digitized by two ADCs with different gain settings. At low levels, it automatically picks the ADC with high gain and at high levels, the one with low gain. That's a trick to handle the 133 dB(A) dynamic range of the microphone input without actually needing an ADC with 133 dB(A) dynamic range.

At the output, they put a digital circuit with an entirely useless volume knob that converts the signal into single-precision floating-point format.