Fixed gain field recorder?

Just want to say that I listened to the organ recording again, and what seemed most peculiar about it was the sound of the audience applause. It sounded way more thick in the low midrange than clapping normally sounds like, as well as less bright/snappy/clicky than normal applause. During the music there was space of the organ and room, and maybe the organ was kind of screechy sounding (although perhaps with some distortion in that sound too?); also the organ was without having well defined powerful bass (IOW I could hear some rumble but it wasn't as powerful as some Donald Fagan tunes such as "Morph the Cat.")

Don't know if anyone else hears more or less the same thing. Be interesting to see what other people think.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the impressions. I really don't think you can compare reality with a studio production electric bass guitar. Applause are wonderful "standard candles" and I think thats a god reference. As I'm in the process of calibrating the whole recording system (inc. mics) FR ( and eventually phase), I still wait for a true reference like a Earthworks M30 etc to be available - so, there could be something still to be tweaked (inc. the calibration process in itself actually - which probably have greater errors ..). As of now, the reference was Line Audio Omin1 (OM-1 as it where).

The errors per mic compared to one and the same OM-1, now compensated in post:

err.jpg

Quite substantial - but, one need to trust the process :) or at least evaluate it - thats whats going on right now :)

In the extreme ends I edited the measurement files so that no compensation was made below 20Hz or above 10kHz. This due to the frequency extremes quite large deviations which made the whole process cumbersome.

The three mics involved was positioned within say +/- 3mm (x,y,z) from the reference point at time for measurement.

//

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is the uncompensated version of the above snippet. A gain compensation for the below file was necessary in order to get to the same average RMS levels the compensated one - mind your levels ;)

//

Attachments

• AF8e1_noCal.zip
    7 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: 1 user
Uncompensated sounds much better to me and considerably more real/plausible.

I would check on the correction DSP to make sure that it isn't in part culpable. Also, maybe could be that compensation derived from PSS measurements and or from impulses is not a good fit for for some real music signals (i.e. the mics and or the calibration process is/are sufficiently non-LTI to cause calibration problems)?

Easy thing to try would be use DSP to compensate a track, then use DSP again to de-compensate the track back to its original state. How close does the DSP processing come to ideal performance? Is the processed track audibly distinguishable from the original track?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I will for sure revisit my calibration and most probable have a revised "error file" - all from the acoustic stimuli, REW arithmetics to FIR filter generation...

Did you by any chance also try with headphones?

//

Last edited:
Yes, tried headphones and ESL speakers. Anything in particular you're interested in? Obviously, there were some background noises, things bumping around in the room, maybe mics getting bumped a little at some point too. Stereo imagining is good. Organ does seem to have a screechy, droning high-ish note.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is a recording of a free lunch organ concert. So people coming in and out and behaving.... I don't hear the organ at location as the smoothes in the top - no.. No bumping of micks or stand but a couple decided it was the best choice to settle down 1,5 meters from a strange contraption when entering the event efter it had started. People...

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ahha - on the applause snippet - that could actually have been me just brushing the cables coming from the mics while trying to shift location after 30 minutes of total stillness, to join the appreciation :) sensitive.. but also a reason for concern - this must have been 2 meter down the line - mic and stand was on other side of bench so no way of touching that... maybe I should tie the cables along one of the legs of the stand... hmm.. microphone cable microphony.... interesting. I do have a bullet "general mechanics" on the todo list...

//

The high note sound that bothered me in the organ track was like, for example, from about 0:40 seconds in, until the end. It seems too loud compared to the main body of the organ sound. Like either a bad mix of the stop settings by the organist, or a FR peak somewhere or other. Could just be my ears too. However, if I hear something and you don't or vice versa then that would flag to me, if I was running the test, to try resolve the difference. If its just my ears, fine. I would prefer to know rather than not know is all.

AF8e1_noCal.flac

More so on the ESLs and planer headphones. Don't notice it so much on the laptop DAC and $20 Amazon cans. Something sounds off about it, not sure what. It doesn't blend in right with the chordal sound underneath it. Could just be me.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think I understand which part you mean - at 0:40 is the setting of the final longer note of the piece. I cant really hear any specific distinct increase in screechiness or a diverging timbre at this point/note, not in my speakers. nor in my IEMs.

//

Some people hear notes in chords as separate tones. Other people hear chords more as compound textures, within the meaning of texture as used in the field of Auditory Scene Analysis. I tend to be the latter type of person. The organ notes below that high note form a chord texture to me. The high note doesn't sound like part of it. Could be something as simple as it being slightly out of tune with the harmonics of the lower notes, or whatever else. Whatever it is may be peculiar to my perception. If no one else hears anything odd about then probably just me.

EDIT: Just as some idle academic speculation, what makes for a texture may turn out to be a perception from the sensation of hearing the summation of notes that form beat notes (amplitude envelope modulations). If that were the case, then maybe some people perceive envelopes differently than others. IOW, waveforms like this: https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...HZuqBl0Q0pQJegQIEBAB&biw=1648&bih=889&dpr=1.5

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My impression is that in the final note, some weight is added rather than some higher frequency content - this goers for both my auditions.

I'm glad you can pick these impressions out of the recording. Also good that you like the stage.

Well, the previous calibration tendency still stands but seem a bit dampened.

Input measuremnts (for the UGFR mics there was averages done from several measurements):

meas.jpg

And the resulting error per UGFR mic compared to OM-1:

calib2.jpg

But not 5dB to much between 2-5k but perhaps 2. And a loss of energy above 10k. But also a little hot below 80 Hz apparently.

I will present same snippets tomorrow with new compensation.

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Btw: these measurements are right out in the room at a distance form the source about 2,5m. As both types mics involved are omni, I think it's good that reflections are part of the measurements and calibration. My reference is still a bit uncertain but I think it is at least decent.

//