First timer - desperately confused with the options...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The BIB spreadsheet calls for a cabinet height of 76".

I see two compromises:
1) I use Baltic Birch but shorten the cabinet to 60" high.
2) I use particle board and keep the original proportions. (Bamboo is too pricey and I can't find appleply...)

Which is the lesser of the two evils?!

The BIB spreadsheet calls for a cabinet height of 76".

I see two compromises:
1) I use Baltic Birch but shorten the cabinet to 60" high.
2) I use particle board and keep the original proportions. (Bamboo is too pricey and I can't find appleply...)

Which is the lesser of the two evils?!

For dipping your toe in the DIY speaker pool? - I'd go for the particle board. Reducing the height of cabinet without adding additional fold to retain the line length would I'd imagine severely compromise the performance of a BIB

Last edited:
BIB length is where it gets it's performance. Right now I have a 50 cent NSB (long story-- ask if you like) in a BIB cabinet made for the FE127e. The cabinet still performs.

Baltic birch is recommended for it's void free properties. But I've built my BIB's from
glued up butcher black shelving that gives a nice appearance and also maple faced plywood. The front baffle I use particle board with grilles. I'm not big on finishing techniques but I do use quarter round on the plywood for a finished look. These tall narrow cabinets with small drivers are plenty stable with the divider nearly the full length. No worries on that.

Plus as a first build, give yourself some leeway to practice with tools.

Hi - What I like about 4x8 sheets is that I can make one cabinet from one sheet. (Stitching the interior baffle together from two pieces.)

I prefer the look and screw-holding characteristics of plywood, but it seems that the recommendation here is to rather use particle board unless I use Baltic Birch plywood?

Or is there another regular (not Baltic Birch / Appleply / Marine Grade) type of plywood that offers good performance? e.g. why not use regular birch plywood instead of particle board? (Regular birch has fewer plies and not the same quality as Baltic Birch, but would it be worse than particle board??)

I am having a rough time figuring out the sound properties of different panels because the web is full of conflicting info. A lot of places recommend MDF, but the opinion here is that Particle board is better. Is this just regular particle board, or is it a special brand / type?

Thanks

Platplaas: FWIW, my local supplier (Austin Hardwoods/TH&H) has baltic birch in both 5x5 and 4x8 sheets, so it may be worth calling around a bit more in your area. These guys have lots of selection for veneers, exotics, plywood, etc etc with a few stores scattered around the US.

Of course, here in So Cal you can find just about anything incredibly easily......A few years ago I needed 1/2" thick beveled glass for a project and an hour later I was placing my order at the "House of Beveled Glass" a couple of towns away....who'da thunk.

Last edited:
Hi - What I like about 4x8 sheets is that I can make one cabinet from one sheet. (Stitching the interior baffle together from two pieces.)

I prefer the look and screw-holding characteristics of plywood, but it seems that the recommendation here is to rather use particle board unless I use Baltic Birch plywood?

Or is there another regular (not Baltic Birch / Appleply / Marine Grade) type of plywood that offers good performance? e.g. why not use regular birch plywood instead of particle board? (Regular birch has fewer plies and not the same quality as Baltic Birch...

precisely - it's the number of cross grained plys, type of materials and glue type that give the HDP (high density plywoods) their structural characteristics.

but would it be worse than particle board??)
"it" being "regular" birch plywood (as few as 5plys including face veneers for 3/4" ) in my experience - yes

I am having a rough time figuring out the sound properties of different panels because the web is full of conflicting info. A lot of places recommend MDF, but the opinion here is that Particle board is better. Is this just regular particle board, or is it a special brand / type?

Thanks
:soapbox:

Don't overthink this - if there's one thing I've learned in over 10 yrs surfing the DIY forum world, and a good part of the preceding 40yrs in this hobby, it's that there is no "absolutely right" answer.

While there are objective measurement geeks (I mean than in the most loving way :grouphug: ) who may have "tested" materials for various specific parameters, there are probably fewer folks who've simply built identical cabinet designs with two types and just listened to the damned things. (wanna guess where I stand on that one?)

Included in the reasons I suggested particle board (aka K3) is that to my ears it has less compromises than MDF, and is generally cheaper than MDF - for a first time builder the calculus is often weighted towards frugality

Personally I'd only use at least BB plywood, even for "prototypes". No doubt my preference for this material evolved simultaneously with the development of my "palate" for smaller full range drivers.

Generally the enclosures for these happen to be just as efficiently yielded from 5x5 as from 4x8. In fact I guess I've frequently avoided designs that "require" the longer material, and by habit my cut plans are drawn for that size.

"Baltic" birch is generally a reference to material harvested an fabricated in the area surrounding the Baltics, and indeed the particular brand I buy is labeled "made in Russia" (well, except it's mostly in Cyrillic). Anyway, this product is "shop" grade in that it is not assured to be free of mineral / pitch discolorations, small pin or larger foot-ball patched knots. You might need to sort through the better part of a sheet lift to find one free of any defects on both faces, and forget about sequence matching of grain patterns. For that degree of selection and quality, you can rely on paying a higher price. There are many trade or brand names for high quality high ply count sheet goods such as "Apple-" "Euro-" "Finnish-" "Russian-" "marine-grade" , many of which are beyond "cabinet (structural) grade" and are offered in architectural grades with selected (unfinished) exotic face veneers – so don’t be shocked at prices of over $200 per sheet on some types. The problem of course with pre-finished veneer face plywoods is the type of joinery and matching finish on edge treatment(s).

:cheers:

Platplaas: FWIW, my local supplier (Austin Hardwoods/TH&H) has baltic birch in both 5x5 and 4x8 sheets, so it may be worth calling around a bit more in your area. These guys have lots of selection for veneers, exotics, plywood, etc etc with a few stores scattered around the US.

Of course, here in So Cal you can find just about anything incredibly easily......A few years ago I needed 1/2" thick beveled glass for a project and an hour later I was placing my order at the "House of Beveled Glass" a couple of towns away....who'da thunk.

great suggestion, but Winterpeg is almost another universe compared to SoCal ( actually, even compared to the Republic of Vancouver Island :rolleyes:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Personally I'd only use at least BB plywood, even for "prototypes".

I did actually get Chris to build the 1st Frugel-Horn Mk3 prototypes out of particle board (with some BB). Althou suggested that the 2nd prtotype in the same construction, it arrived in nicely finished BB.

Prototype 1 pair is now screwed together with 2x4s and is serving as a table saw extention. By spring it should be in good shape for the bonfire.

dave

I went to Madisound, loaded up the Fostex FE206en speakers, banana plugs and input plugs, but stopped short when I saw that they want $55 for shipping. Is this consistent with your experiences? I'm used to smaller shipping charges for things like bicycle parts, books, etc., but then again I assume the magnets are heavy?

I don't know if it would end up being any cheaper, but have you looked at Solen? They're in Canada, so it might be less expensive.
Mike

Solen retail price on FE206En is $122.98 ea
Madisound - $92.20

depending on currency fluctuations (my last online purchase in US$ was calculated at $1.03) and selected shipping method*, Madisound could still be cheaper, particularly if you have any funds in a US$ bankcard or PayPal account.

*whenever possible do not to ship UPS to Canada - their brokerage and disbursement fees on a shipment of this valuation could cost more than the freight charge

no matter where you order them from, you'll pay the HST/GST in your jurisdiction

Hey nkolisnyk - I might take you up on the listen offer. At the moment my project is stalled while I try to decide between buying an old pair of second hand speakers (Wharfedale W60s - $40) or to build a pair of Nelson Pass enclosures with Pioneer BOFUs ($150) or whether to go all out and build BIBs with Fostex FE206ens...(Probably about $300)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.