• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Thanks Cresnet. I only wish you made an inline power supply, I'm trying to keep the power supply outside my powered speaker design. I'm hoping to find something that will be good for audio applications that would already be UL/CE approved to take that out of the equation. For the Slewmaster amp I have to build I'd take a look at what your building but that is for my own useage. I also have a pair of LC's earlier amps before the First One came along I need to put to work somewhere.

I wonder if any SMPS manufacture could show us the UL/CE certificate to their SMPS products.

I will be more than happy to supply you with a SMPS any time. Be sure that my SMPS complies with the maximum safety standards, Isolation. etc...

Cresnet for medical device smps power supplies it would be a cake walk, but I'm not sure what I am going to have to ask for to have those supplies work well in an audio application where the load isn't a steady state application like a test device. I'm not sure if just having more capacitance would take care of that or not but I will have to find a smps designer who can help me specify the requirements to use with an audio amplification situation and also driving the dsp/dac circuit. I should talk to you outside of this thread as it is outside of LC's thread.

Hi guys, I just ordered THE FO and a pair of nice hypex 1200A400. But now I am wondering what kind of casing (heatsink) I should buy. The FO is going to be connected to my nice QUAD electrostatic speakers ESL-2905.

Would it be better to order the Dissipant 3U 400...?

This based on Fluid's info above: "If you plan to beat the life out the amp with low ohm loads bigger heatsinks make more sense."
Thanks for the order. ;)

As Clog said ESL are not low impedance speakers, so no worries about heat dissipation. I would rather take 2U chassis, it is much more home friendly than those big 3U cases.

Hardly wait to get your opinion and listening report when all done. :yes:

I have Dissipante 2U 300 mm and it is ok. Temperature of coolers are up to about 47-49 degrees Celsious after 1 hour of playing and stays there. Room temperature is around 23 degree.

Thanks Malossi..... a dissipante 2u 300mm it will be :p

Thanks for the order. ;)

As Clog said ESL are not low impedance speakers, so no worries about heat dissipation. I would rather take 2U chassis, it is much more home friendly than those big 3U cases.

Hardly wait to get your opinion and listening report when all done. :yes:

Yes LC... this listening report will follow - cannot wait to do it:D. I will have it all at home the third week of March. Looking forward to it.
Thank for your ultra quick response on the order and your advice regarding the DC sense modules.

Quad 2905 is not a really low impedance speaker. Factory specifies impedance as lying between 4 and 20 ohms. So no problems here.

Thnx Clog. I was a little in doubt as this stable heatsink temperature seems to be important and I do not want to "(Fluid post 2492: move away from LC's recommendations by getting bigger heatsinks"
But there is no room for doubt anymore...... so Modushop, here I come !

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Regarding PSU to be used (my opinion):
When I was thinking what PSU to use for FO 1.4M I was deciding between linear PSU and SMPS from Cresnet. Finaly I decided to build the linear PSU (2x 500VA toroids) because I found some indications from other people, that linear PSU may perform better in bass and also because I was able to build this linear PSU for the similar price as the SMPS from Cresnet. But of course more effort was needed to implement the linear PSU compared to all-in-one SMPS solution. But my second choice was the SMPS from Cresnet, also because Cresnet is comunicative and he provided some measurements on request.

Hi guys.

Regarding PSU to be used (my opinion):
When I was thinking what PSU to use for FO 1.4M I was deciding between linear PSU and SMPS from Cresnet. Finaly I decided to build the linear PSU (2x 500VA toroids) because I found some indications from other people, that linear PSU may perform better in bass and also because I was able to build this linear PSU for the similar price as the SMPS from Cresnet. But of course more effort was needed to implement the linear PSU compared to all-in-one SMPS solution. But my second choice was the SMPS from Cresnet, also because Cresnet is comunicative and he provided some measurements on request.

Have tested both PS and must say that the diference is huge.

I don't know if you build a linear with 2KVA trafo and 12 caps Mundorf Mlytic HC+ :)

71882_26118edce7fa38d57598f8ab0b64e646.JPG

74426_fe8c0384e7cfe251ca31f59de1f38642.JPG

Last edited:
On top of this my understanding is LC has also optimised his modules with / for Hypex SMPS.

I am not experienced yet with these, but it seems to me SMPS are difficult to beat for high power deliveries on a lot of electrical parameters, not to mention they are light, efficient, small and, unless you have already all the traditional components handy, in practice less expensive for high power deliveries.

IMHO the real question is: do we lose anything using a single Hypex SMPS3K versus 2 (costly) Hypex SMPS1200 with the FO 1.4 modules....

Claude

It would be interesting, if someone can provide justification, why SMPS is really better. Except for generic ones, like "smaller, more efficient, more current...". I mean some computation.
For example my 500VA toroid is providing ~6% of voltage drop at full (500W) power. + Capacitors are able to deliver 6A reservoir (2x 10mF) at 60V. It means ((+-60V * 6) + 500) == ~1200W peak per channel and 500W permanent. Is not it enough for AB amp of 250W? My speakers are 200W RMS and 300W peak.

Perhaps it is speed related? The way the energy is transfered?
Checking output impedance at various frequencies could perhaps give a hint on solid vs SMPS?

Having said that, if it sounds better, then it is already fine to me, I have already enough things to fiddle with and wouldn't mess with DIY SMPS ;-)