Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

" Looks like a chinese obscure capacitor !"
Maybe these.
200pcs 0.1uF 50V Electrolytic Capacitor 4x7mm Radial | eBay

In LA9242M datasheet page 12, pin 10 is described as been part of a RC resistor divider network with different RC times.
For that purpose, if I would go for a small capacitance electrolytic cap, I would choose a tantalum one.
Tantalum will last longer is very stable during the time, have very low parasitic components and ,especially for this application, very low leakage current.

Regards,
Tibi

In LA9242M datasheet page 12, pin 10 is described as been part of a RC resistor divider network with different RC times.
For that purpose, if I would go for a small capacitance electrolytic cap, I would choose a tantalum one.
Tantalum will last longer is very stable during the time, have very low parasitic components and ,especially for this application, very low leakage current.

Regards,
Tibi

That's an interesting observation Tibi. I don't recall reading that anyone had tried a tantalum.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
CeeVee, without doing another search through this monster of a thread :), which one in particular are you using, and what other had you compared it to?

I can let you know details later this evening, got data at home.

But i started looking for NOS Russian caps to replace Peter's choice V-CAP ( very expensive ) and compared various until i settled on the tiny wet tantalum...this is not to say that there might be even better ones ( have not tried the V-CAP) but this is better than the stock cap, to my ears, and my son's, at least.

Here is a picture of number 2 choice, slightly less detailed sound than wet tantalum one:

I should stress that the biggest gain comes from a very good shunt reg for the 5V supply, tried Salas and Bobken and both have brilliant results compared to stock.

Attachments

• N2 CAPs.JPG
    N2 CAPs.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
C 906

I hate to re-state the obvious, but...

We are speculating and offering our opinions on the effect of one specific capacitor in an entire circuit, yet we all have widely different tastes, we are largely playing our shigaclones through different amps via different speakers in different rooms. There is no way we can qualify a judgement on which capacitor sounds good in position C906. Unless we are measuring multiple parameters to an agreed standard (and surely there isn't one standard we can all agree to).

Without any common denominator we are just sounding off! This is perfectly appropriate and enjoyable, but it is certainly not 'robust data' in any sense of those words. Of course I have learned to value the opinion of numerous more experienced forum members who have previously offered opinions which I find valuable.

But...
Vive la difference!

I am currently enjoying the ERO 1830, 0.1uF capacitor in this position, as recommended in Page 2 of this thread.

In the words of the great Gill Scott-Heron it's a BYOT (bring your own thing) party!

My two yen worth... sorry if I bored everyone!

Bill

Joined 2006
Paid Member

We are speculating and offering our opinions on the effect of one specific capacitor in an entire circuit, yet we all have widely different tastes, we are largely playing our shigaclones through different amps via different speakers in different rooms. There is no way we can qualify a judgement on which capacitor sounds good in position C906. Unless we are measuring multiple parameters to an agreed standard (and surely there isn't one standard we can all agree to).

Without any common denominator we are just sounding off! This is perfectly appropriate and enjoyable, but it is certainly not 'robust data' in any sense of those words. Of course I have learned to value the opinion of numerous more experienced forum members who have previously offered opinions which I find valuable.

But...
Vive la difference!

I am currently enjoying the ERO 1830, 0.1uF capacitor in this position, as recommended in Page 2 of this thread.

In the words of the great Gill Scott-Heron it's a BYOT (bring your own thing) party!

Bill

Billlo 44,

You are right but answering questions is ok too.
Peter, who suggested the ERO has since changed to V-CAP, experimenting and sharing data is also ok.

I did state that one of the single most important mods to make, and that is amply documented here and in Peter's threads, is to have a very good shunt supply for the 5V.
This mod should be included as standard configuration, so huge is the change for the better.
Reason why i posted a pic of it.

:cool:

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
hi ceevee

do you get price for delrin puck ?
pls give us info

Hi Pocoyo,

No...no answer , reason being that the puck is a bad idea!

Woodturner Fran has huge experience in this context and his posts answering that question were of the general opinion that gains , if any are obtained, are marginal and the effort to make a good puck is huge as it has to be turned installed on the shaft of the individual motor.....if you want it absolutely concentric...which we all do.

So i do believe we should concentrate on other areas like the electronics and isolating board from motors....recklocking, those gains are of higher magnitude.

Even though the aesthetics of a good wood puck are so nice....it's contribution to good sound..well.....

:cool:

Last edited:

But...
Vive la difference!

Bill

Why, it's not boring Bill, you are right to point that out. Although, having said that - I think there is a certain division line between the subjective and the objective in the audio world: where the quality of components in question is vaguely comparable, we are talking subjective choices - tastes, if you will. Like choosing between Gibson and Fender. But where quality differs significantly, the choice becomes an objective one - a component is clearly better than another, like Stradivarius next to a school violin. Then the decision is only dependent upon external constraints (like price or availability).

My cap is made very differently, and as a result, sounds very differently from commercial caps. If you want robust data then I'm afraid I don't have any - simply because I consider it largely irrelevant: I never found any link between, say, leakage current and the actual sound produced. I still take those parameters into account when designing my components, I just consider other factors orders of magnitude more influential. In any case, I always offer a full refund, so why not try? :)

Also, if you would like an independent (although still subjective ;)) opinion about the sound of my caps, Peter Daniel was kind enough to let me mention that he is currently using my VNM Cap, and quote his comments after comparisons with V-Cap in his DAC input:
(...) You are familiar with my moded 1543 NOS DAC. I’ve buit two of them for my friends as well as they were actively participating in the voicing process. After all was done, I made one more test with a coupling cap at DAC’s input. They both preferred the DAC with a cap (I was using 0.01 – 0.1 Teflon V-Cap, larger value sounded better and CU was even more better), however, I couldn't convince myself to using a cap in that position. While the V-cap was smoothing the sound, it was also affecting immediacy and dynamics, so in the end I had my DAC always coupled directly.

When I installed your cap, I actually like all the effects it was introducing and most likely it will stay in. It sounds very natural and smooth and I really don’t notice any degradation of immediacy and dynamics. (...)