Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

So I picked up my EZ31 today from Fergus (about 40 minutes drive from me). They have 4 left in stock. I'm willing to buy up the remaining 4 units if people are interested. The cost was $60 (Canadian), and I would ask an extra $15 each to cover my time (and to make my wife happy, since she isn't convinced why I needed to buy a crappy-looking portable stereo), plus the cost of shipping.

If anyone is interested, let me know asap. Kierownik gets first dibs.

-Dan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sparhawk said:
So I picked up my EZ31 today from Fergus (about 40 minutes drive from me). They have 4 left in stock. I'm willing to buy up the remaining 4 units if people are interested. The cost was $60 (Canadian), and I would ask an extra $15 each to cover my time (and to make my wife happy, since she isn't convinced why I needed to buy a crappy-looking portable stereo), plus the cost of shipping.

If anyone is interested, let me know asap. Kierownik gets first dibs.

-Dan

Thanks for your response Dan.

Regards,
Dan

Hi there!
I bought me a Sony SCD555 ES SACD player. It sounds very, very good, but it can't reach the sound of the shigaclone. The sony sounds sterile and more bloomy where the shigaclone sounds more open, fragile and pinpoint. It also lets you get more involved in to the music, and thats what it is all about. The sacd part of the sony comes close to the shigaclone, but still not good enough. So again a claer winner. Still happy! Teake

Nice to read it is still going strong...

A bit surprised to read that even the sacd part is no contest...given an sacd-disc against a normal cd-disc....
Meaning that although it gets a worst source it still performs better...:cool:

BTW
What kind of test did you do ...

I know the Krall sacd (Girl in the other room) hybrid is horrible when you play the cd layer....but when you buy the same Krall but normal cd-version it's layer sounds a lot better while actually being cheaper....how is that for customer-manipulation towards sacd...!!!!!

I had that experience a year ago and was amazed....

Hi Fran,

Here's a picture of the internals, it's a fairly straightforward build as I pretty much went for a transport based on Peter's first design.

The controller board is mounted fron left to right underneath the mechanism. It was a tighter fit than I had planned but it all goes in. I removed the little push buttons from the board and ran wires up to the buttons on the top plate. The mech is mounted on two rigid supports.

The top plate was polycarbonate which I can recommend highly over perspex. Although it costs quite a bit more it's a much tougher material and thus there is much less chance of cracking when drilling or cutting holes.

The power supply is offboard so this is slightly different to Peter's setup. It's in a cheapo plastic box so I like to keep it out of sight :)

The fancy stainless push buttons were from Schurter and cost as much as the boombox. The black gates were even more than this but all in I think it's cost under £200 so not a bad effort.

The cost isn't too bad when you spread it over a few months. The main thing for me is the enjoyment from making something yourself, and if you end up with something that sounds better than what you could buy for 3 or 4 times the price, that's just a bonus.

I'm listening to it through a Megalampizator that I built from the details given on the Lampizator web page. Although the designer doesn't recommend this as one of his best efforts I've got to say I'm very happy with the sound. Very unforced and natural and works well with the pace and detail of the Shigaclone.

Attachments

• pict1172.jpg
    pict1172.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,713
SONY SCD-555 ES SACD

intense-tavda said:
Hi there!
I bought me a Sony SCD555 ES SACD player. It sounds very, very good, but it can't reach the sound of the shigaclone. The sony sounds sterile and more bloomy where the shigaclone sounds more open, fragile and pinpoint. It also lets you get more involved in to the music, and thats what it is all about. The sacd part of the sony comes close to the shigaclone, but still not good enough. So again a claer winner. Still happy! Teake

Hi Teake,

This doesn't surprise me at all! The 555 and the 777 are nice machines but if you don't modify them, you'll still be missing at least 30 % of what they are capable of!
And a good CD player plays CD's much better than a SACD in CD mode! To my ears that is.

But than again, who am I to pretend anything, just a music lover that love to hear the truth.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

Yes to the JVC RC-EZ51/RC-EZ51H...

Hi JBdV Hello, I like this project and want to build one too.

Stupid question from a newbee:

Is the JVC RC-EZ51 regarding the CD part identical with the JVC RC-EZ31 that is normally used for this project?

I can easily buy a 52 in Holland but thye 31 is obsolete!!!

Yes to the JVC RC-EZ51/RC-EZ51H...

Hi JBdV

I like this project and want to build one too.

...question from a newbee:

Is the JVC RC-EZ51 regarding the CD part identical with the JVC RC-EZ31 that is normally used for this project?

I am using the RC-EZ51/RC-EZ51H and the CD transport/chipset are identical to the RC-EZ31.

There are a few differences in the layout of the other parts, but they are not used in the shigaclone anyway so not a problem for us. :D

Just messed up my first post... :/

Hello Moderator

I have just tried to post a reply to JBdV

Unfortunately, I have managed to post before finishing my reply; Post Post #3333, and I cannot find the delete button.

My second post; Post #3334 is my finished reply. How do I delete the wrong one?

Thank you for your time. I shall now beat myself a hefty digital coax as punishment. :bawling:

intense-tavda said:
Hi Erik! Normal cd's I played; Blue note plays sting, John Mclaughlin que alegria, ALR Jordan guitar collection special 24 gold cd and XRCD Dire straits Brothers in Arms. As SACD I used Patricia Barber mobile fidelity sacd Cafe Blue and Modern Cool. I also used them in CD mode! Grtz Teake

Sounds like good referential material to me...

So I am still surprised to hear that the cd player Shiga outperforms the sacd player Sony, both with there best
disc-material available.......on the other hand the Shiga ofcourse can sound so incredibly beautifull........

BTW I must have bought at least a 100 new cd''s in the meantime.....(this afternoon...only the lonely..... Frank Sinatra....check it out)

:cool:

JBdV said:
thanks Jam. Any ida if the service manual of the EZ51 is available?
So far I only found the service manual of the EZ31.Of course that may do the trick, but I like to be precise.

I never found one, but for our use there are only two significant differences between the two.

First the display PCB is smaller on the EZ51 (148mm x 35mm) so no need to cut it down as Peter did with his EZ31.

Secondly, the regulating circuit is on the main board not the rectifiying board as it was with the EZ31. Having said that the parts have exactly the same part numbers so are easily identified on both the EZ31 service manual and Okapi's .pdf

Link to Okapi's .PDF post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1468192#post1468192