• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vunce has found that even a simple PSU with C’s only and no CRC still works very well - here with 11,000uF per channel and no hum or noise of any kind with ears pressed to speaker cone. This is a special trafo with dual centertap secondaries for dual monoblock worh single trafo at +/-43.5v. Good for about 97w.

So it would seem that the PSU choices are getting to be lower and lower cost.

attachment.php

Attachments

• F2C682CD-8F98-48C1-AAED-F3EDAF3FEEFD.jpg
    F2C682CD-8F98-48C1-AAED-F3EDAF3FEEFD.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,041
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Indeed X, I’ve been changing psu configuration like you’d swap CD’s. Wait a minute.... does anyone play CD’s anymore :p

Just got a set of plain Jane PSU’s fired up. The left unit has 11,000µF, the right unit has 23,500µF of capacitance. The transformer has a pair of center tapped secondaries, so I’ve got essentially a poor mans dual monoblock setup. Sounds nice so far, there is very faint hum if I put my ear right in front of the woofer on the 11,000µF channel. Given this is not a CRC filter, the capacitance is probably on the light side. But, I am surprised how quiet it is overall.
I’m going to keep playing around and eventually I’ll list the combo’s I’ve tried out.

Attachments

• 8CC1E214-2F39-42E1-872D-703B03790F3B.jpg
    8CC1E214-2F39-42E1-872D-703B03790F3B.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 551
  • 02F34D3B-29EE-4410-B883-4D1DE4C134EB.jpg
    02F34D3B-29EE-4410-B883-4D1DE4C134EB.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 545
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
So you guys thought I was kidding about the Griddle Amp?! How little faith you all have in me! :)

I present to you the $9.92 cast iron Griddle Amp heatsink. It has a grille surface of 16in x 8in (not including the rim and handles or grease well). Weighs about 8lbs and can probably handle 100w of dissipation, no problem. It took a little sanding ith 320 grit and a power sander to get semi smooth. The drill and tap was a breeze - smooth, like buttah.

Picking it up at store:
attachment.php

After sanding and drill and tap operation:
attachment.php

Installing test MOSFETs to check fit:
attachment.php

The ceramic thermal spacers and heat sink compound will be critical to fill in all those voids:
attachment.php

The grease well at the bottom provides a nice flat bulkhead for installing RCA inputs as well as banana plug binding posts for speaker outputs. The width is actually compatible with 17in EIA rack standard. I just need to install a rear frame for the trafo and main PCBs. Or I might mount PCBs to griddle as the holes are almost trivial to tap.

Attachments

• Griddle-Amp-00.jpg
    Griddle-Amp-00.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 3,047
  • Griddle-Amp-01.jpg
    Griddle-Amp-01.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 2,996
  • Griddle-Amp-02.jpg
    Griddle-Amp-02.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Griddle-Amp-03.jpg
    Griddle-Amp-03.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 3,025
Joined 2004
Paid Member
X and others, two quick questions please:

1. An estimate of when the PCB might be available - for planning and building purposes.

2. What is the “right” +/- PS voltage? I have seen a few different PS voltages mentioned. Could those with an understanding of this amp’s behavior give some guidance on what would be the ideal +/- supply, and some range within which the amp’s performance performance would not suffer audibly. I’m personally less concerned about the power output. The range of acceptable PS voltages would help me and others in a similar situation to decide if a new power tranny is called for or if we could reuse one of those on the shelf.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Francois,

I’ve tried several psu’s with voltages ranging from 40vdc to 53vdc. I’ve noticed more of a difference from the “style” (CRC, CCC or SMPS) of psu than the voltage. I have to gather my thoughts and post my impressions soon.
Your right Francois, one of the nice features about this project is you have a broad voltage range and can use something you probably already have in the parts bin :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The verification boards are on their way to me via DHL Express and should have them in a few days. I need to build and make sure it works. If all good then I will order the production boards. I guess I can open up the pre-orders on my Etsy shop - stand by for that sometime today or tomorrow. Board production time is 3-5days and ship is 3 to 5days. Give me a few days to build it - so about 2 weeks from today they will be shipping out of you have your order in soon.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks guys for the pre-order. I did say in the description that it is for a pair. I will make sure it is more clear.

GB Pre-order Status:

gary s / 2 / Australia.
mordikai / 2 / USA
Oracle1 / 2 / Greece * Pre-Order Placed *
Francois G/ 2 / USA * Pre-Order Placed *
Kokanee / 2 / Canada * Pre-Order Placed *
Zei / 2 / Sweden
astromo / 2 / Australia
routhun / 2 / USA
wtnh / 2 / USA
MEGA_amp / 2 / USA
meanie / 2 / Singapore * Pre-Order Placed *