• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What does a 98A inductor look like?

Like this.... :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• FH9HVX-w-Wurth-L.jpg
    FH9HVX-w-Wurth-L.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 1,911
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Vunce, X, others,

Great write up on your PS filters. I am going to build the lower power version using a 24V transformer, giving around 50 WPC, dual mono, one CRC per channel. For the lower voltage/power is it still recommended to use 20,000 uF per rail (40,000 uF on 1 CRC board). I was hoping to get by with around 13,600 uF per rail with what i have on hand, without using my 10,000 uF caps saved for ClassA project. What is the consensus on this from the builders, will use the larger caps if necessary.

Thanks for the help,
Myles

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Myles,
As this is a"budget amp" - I think the first thing to use is whaterver you have on hand. It will work in mono with as low as 4700uF per rail, but as Vunce points out, about 20,000uF per rail is the cat's meow. So start small, and upgrade as you see necessary. I have founf that Nichicon 4700uF 63v caps (25mm dia x 40mm tall, 12mm spacing) can be found for a song on ebay. That's what I am going with for first cut. I have some Antek AN-3232 on hand and that will make +/-45v supply which should be good for a solid 100w.

So, my recommendation is use whatever you have on hand. But aim for about 10,000uF to 20,000uF per rail - pure C's no CRC needed.

Based on my schematic for a simple PSU, JPS64 has come up with the following simple PSU for the FH9HVX. It can be configured as CC or CRC and is designed for 40mm dia 10,000uF 63v caps - which are not too pricey and available as standard BOM from Mouser rather that eBay treasure hunting. I should be able to offer this as a PSU when the production FH9HVX boards get manufactured. This is currently at 100mm x 80mm - so a real compact size and will use a trafo with two secondaries in series or a center tap one to kee the parts count low with a single bridge rectifier. The bridge can be underhung and bolted to the chassis for heatsink. The resistors can be sub'd with a wire for an "All C's" 20,000uF per rail PSU.

attachment.php

Cheers,
X

Attachments

• FH9HVX-PSU-render-v00a.jpg
    FH9HVX-PSU-render-v00a.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:
GB Pre-Order Status:

gary s / 2 / Australia * Pre-Order Placed *
mordikai / 2 / USA
Oracle1 / 2 / Greece * Pre-Order Placed *
Francois G/ 2 / USA * Pre-Order Placed *
Kokanee / 2 / Canada * Pre-Order Placed *
Zei / 2 / Sweden * Pre-Order Placed *
astromo / 2 / Australia * Pre-Order Placed *
routhun / 2 / USA * Pre-Order Paid *
wtnh / 2 / USA
MEGA_amp / 2 / USA * Pre-Order Paid *
meanie / 2 / Singapore * Pre-Order Placed *
dBel84 / 2/ USA

xrk971 - thanks for your effort

Hi X, the PSU pcb you show in post #185 is very neat and small. Are you going to get some made up anyway or are you waiting to see what interest you might attract?

Would also be attractive if you could fit these in with the amp boards already purchased for the same air mail cost.

I would be interested in 2 off, thanks.

Regards,

Gary..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Status update on the vero builds. As usual, Vunce is way faster than me and almost finished. Along the way, he discovered some silk screen typos. A major one on C131 what would have caused an explosion of the worst kind - reversed polarity on a major 63v rail cap. 🤯

attachment.php

He also a has some other very good observations that will make the final board better and easier to use.
He is so busy building (and doing home improvement DIY) that I am posting his progress photos for him.

attachment.php

Thanks, Vunce!
:cheers:

Attachments

• DC5611C1-2170-4E75-8083-5AAAF191E0CF.jpeg
    DC5611C1-2170-4E75-8083-5AAAF191E0CF.jpeg
    766.6 KB · Views: 771
  • 267B0A4C-5BD1-4D1B-90AA-223D818F6EF2.jpeg
    267B0A4C-5BD1-4D1B-90AA-223D818F6EF2.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 1,086