• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi X,
Trying to get some anteks to Canada. Choice's are:

AS2238 or AS2236: 200VA - 36V or 38V - 2 outputs - 2.8A for $32usd or

AN3236: 300VA - 36V - 2 outputs - 4.2A for $36usd

Planning on dual mono, so thinking extra headroom for $8 more, or is it waste of $ for FH9HVX.?

Not much mentioned about required Amps for transformer, only amps used in circuit.

Help is always appreciated,

Myles

X,

I was curious and looked up the Antek site, but could not find a 300VA, 2 x 38V AC unit.

There is a 300VA, 2 x 36V AC model, and the "specs" show that under 8.0 amp load it is rated at 34.9 V AC, and at 4.4 amp load 35.8 V AC output.

https://www.antekinc.com/content/AN-3236.pdf

With those voltages, the output after rectification should be close to +/- 50V DC?

Last edited:
Soldered up all of the passive elements last night. I have the trimmer to go but wanted to check how to set It for initial power up. Should it be at min / max / or in the middle?

Those inductors took some major heat to solder! You guys were not kidding. I ended up with both my iron and air set to 480degC. But a esthetically oh so worth it :)

.. dB

Yes, I have most everything ready. My intent is to build a fairly compact integrated amp for my office.

I was restoring a few old Harmon Kardon HK775 and have the chassis and power supply from these monoblocks that was beyond salvage. I am going to use X's ACP+ on the front end to drive these amps.

Hopefully it will all come together as planned and offer a simple solution to the space heaters I am currently using (SissySIT)

.. dB

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Sorry to be a pain about the transformers. Below is a quote from Post 1 by Xrk971:

" If you don't want to go with a cheap +/-52v SMPS, a single 300VA 38v trafo will work nicely or dual 200VA 38v trafos and a simple CRC PSU with four 10,000uF caps each will work fine."

From post 331 to Post 334 is where I get confused. I do not want a cheap SMPS, I do not want a single transformer with dual secondaries as I want to go with a dual mono (2 transformers - 1 chassis) which I state in post 331.

So i am left with the quote from X stating that 2 x 200VA x 38V transformers will work fine, and then in post 332 X comments that the 200VA x 38V transformers will only be good for 50% capacity. The only thing I can think of is that X thought I was only using a single 200VA transformer for both channels.

So to put this to rest: If I want +/- 50VDC or slightly greater in a dual mono setup what Antek transformers should I try to buy.? Also what is the minimum Amps rating that I should be looking at.?

Thank you for the help, and the post is in no way to be read " that I am *pi**d off". I am new, and learning how to read and understand what people say and how manufacturers state the use of their products.

Regards,

MM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Myles,
The trafo ratings depend on the brand. The Antek’s seem to be a bit over rated in VA capacity in that if you try to run them at 50% capacity, the max voltage sags a bit. I think you may be ok with 200VA 38v dual trafos but 300VA will have more certainty of less sag.

Some brands like Toroidy don’t sag as much and you don’t need to size them 3x the intended capacity.

Here is how I estimate this: 38v is 53v no load. At max power the trafo sags about 5-6v or 47v. 47v x 2 is 94vpp. Subtract 8v for 2x4v drop from MOSFETs. And you have 88vpp. Divide by 2.83 to get rms. That’s 120w into 8ohms. But this is assuming it only sags 6v. Sometimes they sag more. The only sure way know if to buy it and test it. But to be on safe side, a 300va is safer bet.