Fane 12-250TC vs FC152 (15-300TC)

If you have a digital audio interface with XLR mic input and 48v phantom power like a Focusrite or a Behringer. A less expensive Dayton EMM6 mic works too.

No i haven't any.
I have an Onkyo equalizer with built in audio generator and his own microphone.
I don't know how useful is this.
Not digital way of course.

Attachments

• IMG_20200108_175608.jpg
    IMG_20200108_175608.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20200108_175838.jpg
    IMG_20200108_175838.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Looks like it was designed to be used with the Onkyo for setting room EQ. Probably not useful as it doesn’t have a way to get the mic signal to REW software.

A Dayton UMM6 USB mic works well too. A little less than UMIK, but UMIK is very good too. It’s what I use. I got a Cross Spectrum Labs version that is 3rd Party calibrated. About $115 I think. Definitely a tool I use all the time.

Looks like it was designed to be used with the Onkyo for setting room EQ. Probably not useful as it doesn’t have a way to get the mic signal to REW software.

A Dayton UMM6 USB mic works well too. A little less than UMIK, but UMIK is very good too. It’s what I use. I got a Cross Spectrum Labs version that is 3rd Party calibrated. About $115 I think. Definitely a tool I use all the time.

Thanks,second step will be the dsp?
I think that is necessary...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The Dayton DSP408 is great value and very easy to use. Single screen, single .exe interface via USB (no dumb nested menus needed) software included. It is analog in and out. A $30 BT dongle lets you program from iOS/Andoid phone and stream music. $20 extra gets you remote volume controller knob and 6 preset-DSP setups selector to change programming without a PC or a phone.

Dayton Audio DSP-408 4x8 DSP Digital Signal Processor for Home and Car Audio

Wait, this Dayton DSP-408 can be used as an active crossover? So I can make two way speakers and use two separate amps to drive the high and low frequency drivers? I will need to rethink some things. Anyone have any experience doing this with this thing? Sounds amazing. I thought this was something that was going to be expensive as heck or something I would have to design from scratch.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, I used to do this strictly before I learned how to make passive crossovers. I used miniDSP but lately just got the the DSP408 and tested it out on same speaker. Super easy to use. Set filter, set EQ, set delay, set level, set input (1 of 4). Measure and repeat.

Low-Cost PMC-inspired TL Monitor with DC130A and DC28F

511678d1446171313-pmc-tl-stuffing-pmc-tl-build-completed.jpg

Here is the measurement from a Harsch XO I did a week ago on same speaker but using DSP408 and a Class A amp on woofer and Class AB on tweeter.

804217d1577111657-low-cost-pmc-inspired-tl-monitor-dc130a-dc28f-c802c154-9843-4d41-a24d-db544e26e8e4-png

804218d1577111657-low-cost-pmc-inspired-tl-monitor-dc130a-dc28f-55de41dc-7c9b-43b6-984e-28ec667dcf32-png

This took about 20 minutes to set up from turn on for the first time.

Wow, that's wild. I want to build an O96 style full range build but I'm toying with the idea of including a woofer. I dont like lots of bass (even okay with recessed or rolled off lows) but I want articulate and accurate bass that will go reasonably low. I'm not sure if I would want to throw a large paper cone woofer in with my full range. That would also allow me to go smaller and get more articulation in the mids, which are my obsession. I want revealing, mid-forward speakers with the ability to position so well that it sounds like the singer in opeth's damnation album is standing in front of me. This led me to the fane, Dayton audio 8" full range, and the tang band 8" full range, though that's getting a little pricy for me.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Skoobs,
If that is what you are looking for, you should look at FAST type speaker. I use the best 3.5in fullrange driver there is (IMO) and a $60 Dayton aluminum cone 8in crossover at 900Hz. 1st order transient perfect crossover. Imaging, soundstage, beautiful midrange, realism. It’s all there. There is a new TL variant that reaches 31Hz. The sealed is good for 50Hz.

10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Everyone who has built it loves the sound. Not expensive at all.

692536d1531955116-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-abd2023f-99ce-4eee-bca1-71d043d3a184-jpeg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
With DSP crossover it’s easy to get this speaker to be flat response. If you want to use a conventional passive crossover, I would use a more expensive driver that requires fewer components to make the XO. You can actually save money by spending a little more on the drivers and less on coils and capacitors for the XO. Also, a conventional XO can’t be transient perfect unless you offset the tweeter back with a waveguide or a stepped baffle. DSP makes it all trivial and let’s you use less expensive drivers.

Wait, this Dayton DSP-408 can be used as an active crossover? So I can make two way speakers and use two separate amps to drive the high and low frequency drivers? I will need to rethink some things. Anyone have any experience doing this with this thing? Sounds amazing. I thought this was something that was going to be expensive as heck or something I would have to design from scratch.

And a 4 way speaker too? It will be needed 4 amps?

Howyou configure the DSP, in a computer? Work in iMac?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can read more about it from the manufacturer's website:

Dayton Audio DSP-408 4x8 DSP Digital Signal Processor for Home and Car Audio

But I think USB programming is from Windows. Optionally, can be programmed from iOS/Android via Bluetooth dongle so an iPad or iPhone can work. But I am not sure if that can happen without it ever being programmed via USB. It's a little OT so I will create a new thread to discuss the DSP408 here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/347871-dayton-audio-dsp-408-a.html#post6039300

Last edited:
I do not think you understand what I meant.

Both those volumes you list are too small, except perhaps as sealed enclosures, but even then they'd be a bit small for the Fane FR's.
Are you seriously telling me you want a cube of 40 x 40 x 40 cm?
The cube you list for the 15" would maybe fit as a sealed box for the 12", the cube you list for the 12" is a bit small for these, so then I'd suggest you use that volume to make a ported enclosure for a single 8" or two 6.5".

I have the 12-250TC in a 40x40x40 cm sealed enclosure and it works quite well but sadly I don't have any measurements for you because I lack the instruments needed for it. But by my ear it sounds decent for what it's made for (Beach parties and parties in general) that's why the small size of it, but of course it's not perfect and it lacks bass and it is heavily dependent on where it's located. If you are lucky you can get some bass from it depending on where you are sitting a car for example in ttere it gets overwhelming. I also have a sack cart for it cause of how heavy it is. :D

Her is some pictures on it and a video. Keep in mind that my video is filmed with a phone so don't excpect much from it. :)

"Portable" Speaker with Fane Sovereign 12-250TC - YouTube

IytMjd6.jpg

93B22YO.jpg

BWtcTbZ.jpg

IgDyVNh.jpg

Size is a compromise between good sound and weight.
i built a 4 by 12 cabinet for a mobile disco.
not only could i barely lift it but it wouldnt fit in the car.
so sawed it down the middle and put new sides on.
for that 4 by 12 sound i could just stand them next to each other.

i built a box with fane 15-300 TC but i preferred my 2 by 12-250tc's so sold it.

my favourite speaker is a 1980 Fane 12-50 in a w bin which i listen to all day.