Fane 12-250TC vs FC152 (15-300TC)

My original plan for the 15" was a U baffle stuffed full of damping material, roughly same dimensions as the closed box they're in now.
They work well in OB, and there's no problem feeding them a bit of extra power to get some bass. That's how I broke them in, eq'd the crap out of them and used them as main speakers for a while. Worked very well, and they need proper break in, very stiff suspension

I would be a bit hesitant to say the same about the 12", IMO they must have a little bit more help down low.

Last edited:
Then would the result be more interesting in a 2 or 3 way system?
Ofcourse I think a 12" or 15" could not be a shelf speaker.

I did not have yet the opportunity to listen to those drivers.
But please correct me if I am wrong but I would think that it is an achievement to get decent straight line across the spectrum with a full range high efficiency driver in a sealed box.

Although personaly I would considering even for a ported and why not a backloaded horn, would that be adding possibilities to the driver 'artificially'.

What is concidered as low frequancy limit for for high quality HiFi use?

I also want to ask if those faital 4FE35 (I do have 2 pairs of them), could be suitable to combine them with a large mid-low drivers crossed somewhere between 500-800Hz?
faital 4FE35 : 91dB.30-60W, Fs100, Qts0.84, Xamx 2.73mm FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 4FE35

Thank you

Attachments

• 4FE35_datasheet_8.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I also want to ask if those faital 4FE35 (I do have 2 pairs of them), could be suitable to combine them with a large mid-low drivers crossed somewhere between 500-800Hz?
faital 4FE35 : 91dB.30-60W, Fs100, Qts0.84, Xamx 2.73mm FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 4FE35

For the Faital 4FE35 I would get a pair of Beyma 12BR70, and put them in closed boxes. The 12BR70 only needs around 55 liters or so in a closed box, the 4FE35 needs a small (2-3 liters closed maybe?) separate volume.

Matt, not really, I was looking at lossy enclosures. Like the old-school ones with perforated back. Would most likely have a couple segments to break things up back there and just fill all the voids with dampening material. I think my Seas FU10RB work great in very narrow OB, together with double 6.5" in a closed box under it, but otherwise not a big fan of dipole/OB solutions.

Last edited:

Thank you

Since you already have 2 pairs of Faitals, did you think about building foam core Karlsonators with these, and then just add subs for LF. Looks like "bang for the buck"...See this thread:
Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Just my 2c,
Vix

Yes
Which woofer would you recommend?
I think he is using the smaller ones. the 2 3" Faital in a Karlsonator

I have no specific recommendation about the woofer. Actually you could use any decent off-the-subwoofer to cover frequenciees below 80 hz or so, and Faitals could work wonderfully in Karlsonators. I just proposed this solution since you already have the drivers. Yes, you have the 4" ones and not the 3", but I believe that they can also work well. If you do go this route, it will be the cheapest. Ask xrk for more details about the Karlsonators if you decide to follow this path.
Other options are possible, of course.
Sorry for off topic.
Me, I wanted to try the 15" Fane in the OB with dual 15" bass helpers, but that idea would have to wait for some better days...
I just love the big and effortless sound that big cones make, although the bit of "nasal" sound in the presence region bothers me.
But, as they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too...

Last edited:
Me, I wanted to try the 15" Fane in the OB with dual 15" bass helpers, but that idea would have to wait for some better days...
I just love the big and effortless sound that big cones make, although the bit of "nasal" sound in the presence region bothers me.
But, as they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too...

Thank you for exchanging ideas. I am sure I will make a Karsonator experience some day. I also love diy high quatily sound but I am not an expert I am learning and it is very interesting...
What do you mean nasal sound?
I would want have 2 different projects to accomplish with large drivers. The OB is very impressive need space behind from the wall.

What are the basic points charachteristics for choosing large drivers for HiFi use?
inorder to achieve good quality when playing in low volume (not loud) levels for mid low driver and even for large Full range?
low Fs
sensitivity to be high
large xmax
low Mms

One each is enough.

I did run winISD for driver in sealed and vented enclosures (low volumes) and it gives the following high Qtc according to bellow net volume:
Fane 12-250 TC
sealed at 120 liters: Qtc 0.84 and transfer Magnitude of 57.15Hz at -3dB
sealed at 80 liters: Qtc 0.97 and transfer Magnitude of 59.65Hz at -3dB
Fane 12_250TC Vented at 105 Liters at35Hz with 2 front ports (4x17x24.82): below 100Hz things are not straight... The programe sudgestion is for a box of 359liters tuned at 32Hz (this is something large like 50x60x105)

Do you have any wxperience with the Beyma 12BR70?
Beyma 12BR70 sealed 55liters Qtc 0.917 and transfer Magnitude of 49 Hz at -3dB
What is your opinion about that one 12BR70 having that high Qtc? with high Vas 124litr.
The Mms 74gr but this driver is less powerfull than the Fane full range who has a Mms 52gms.

Is the Beyna a good driver for home use in low volumes playing levels?
Again Thank you for help

Last edited:
What is your opinion about that one 12BR70 having that high Qtc? with high Vas 124litr.
The Mms 74gr but this driver is less powerfull than the Fane full range who has a Mms 52gms.

Again Thank you for help

You want to use it as in a sealed sub with the Fane? then a (18") Faital Pro 18FH500 models better. I know friends who use it with success on low level (top with fane with a 8w tube amp, sub with the faital with a 32w tube amp and a minidsp as cr). That Faital asks for a very big box to do that. If you want to go low in a sealed config and have a high efficiency of a woofer, you need a big driver, and mostly also a big cabinet.

But most pro drivers also work on low power setups, certainly in a sealed configuration. Heavy mass membranes may ask for a minimum wattage to get moving, but that is seldom an issue with reasonable powered systems.

You want to use it as in a sealed sub with the Fane? then a (18") Faital Pro 18FH500 models better. I know friends who use it with success on low level (top with fane with a 8w tube amp, sub with the faital with a 32w tube amp and a minidsp as cr). That Faital asks for a very big box to do that. If you want to go low in a sealed config and have a high efficiency of a woofer, you need a big driver, and mostly also a big cabinet.

But most pro drivers also work on low power setups, certainly in a sealed configuration. Heavy mass membranes may ask for a minimum wattage to get moving, but that is seldom an issue with reasonable powered systems.

For the moment I dont have a tube amp. I dont know if i will get one in the future:)
Refering to speakers, I intent to make 3 projects.
1 One full range large set for which the Fane 12-250TC
2 I do have those 2 pairs of 4" faital drivers for which I need help.
I am locking to combine one pair or both of them with a low or mid low driver with :
Beyma 12BR70 mid-low in a 55 liter sealed enclosure (125W 93dB,efficiency 0.76)
or Faital 12PR550 Low in a vented small enclosure (500W, 93dB,efficiency 0.8)
Faital 12PR310 mid-low vented medium (300W, 99dB, Efficiency 2.3) in vented 59liters =53Hz at -3Db
3 I will start a 2 way for which I am checking the Faital 15PR400

Alright, sorry for my absence, I've been busy.
Let's take it from the top:
For the Faital 4FE35 I would get a pair of Beyma 12BR70, and put them in closed boxes. The 12BR70 only needs around 55 liters or so in a closed box, the 4FE35 needs a small (2-3 liters closed maybe?) separate volume.
Thank you
would you combine 2X4" 4FE35 with the 12BR70 or just one?
One each is enough.

Again Thank you for help

Yes, I have the Beyma 12BR70 in a couple T-TQWT in my 9 year old daughters room, see picture.
It should be a good match, decent sound and a bit help in-room will net you wuite good sound for a good price.

They are not a suitable match for the Fane 12-250TC! My suggestion was to use them with the Faital 4FE35, you need something much more substantial for the 12" Fane.
I like to think around double membrane area for bass, more if there is some horn loading action going on. The hunt for a decent match for the 12", starts around 18" like Waxx says.

Attachments

• 72779241_2429454650495193_8607414786772172800_o.jpg
    72779241_2429454650495193_8607414786772172800_o.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 279