F6 Illustrated Build Guide

huh

my brain on reserve

please , indulge me and point to exact schematic (you're using) ,and then I can reply something sensible

Hello Zen Mod. The schematic is below (from page 1 of this thread). I changed out the 10K resistors based on your post on page 3. But I wasn't paying attention to the value of Z1 and Z2.

Attachments

• F6_DIY_SCH (1).gif
    F6_DIY_SCH (1).gif
    194.1 KB · Views: 679
Did a bit of clean-up and added transformer housings. Because I am using the 4U chassis I had to remove the rectifier boards and replace them with rectifier bridges. I honestly can't hear the difference with the rectifier bridges versus the boards. However, even though the transformers are shielded the steel housings made an improvement. So I am pretty content/happy with the power supply at this point and don't plan on tweaking it anymore (famous last words). I made some F4 and M2 boards this week so I am looking forward to swapping the amp boards and comparing the sound of the 3 designs.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    984.3 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 653
Finished my F6 yesterday. It is a very standard build that won't impress anyone except my wife and friends. But I am quite happy with how it turned out. I have built a Bottlehead S.E.X. and WHAMMY headphone amp recently but this was the biggest DIY project I've done. So I had a big sigh of relief when the power supply and then each channel fired up on first try with no issues. Many thanks to 6L6 for the detailed build instructions that were priceless, along with all the questions and explanations in this and other First Watt threads. And of course huge thank you to Nelson for being so generous with his designs and intellectual property. I was somewhat concerned about whether it would drive my medium efficiency speakers but I shouldn't have been. With my Pass Labs XP-10 preamp in a somewhat small listening room it has way more power than necessary and drives my Harbeth speakers wonderfully. Still have some clean-up to do on the wiring as it is not quite as clean looking as I was hoping, but the amp is dead quiet as is. And my wife is quite happy to have her kitchen island back. :)

Very nice! Did you wire it as a dual mono psu?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I currently have 50 F6 Complete Kits (Including Transformers) ready for boxing up tonight.
I will stick them in the UPS tomorrow morning.
As 6L6 said, it will take a bit for them to actually reflect as In Stock in the store.

I also have 50 sets of just transformers that will be shipping in at some point soon.

Another first time F6

Hi Folks. I've been stopping by here occasionally for a decade, thinking, I ought to try building an amp sometime, finally gave it a go.
My case design is a little idiosyncratic - the back is blank, so it can go up against a wall, or on a shelf. The front will get a nice piece of wood, plain, and the top will be 3/8 glass, with ground edges, set up an 1/8" above the sides. The edges of the glass lighting up from the led's inside will serve as my power light.
I have a plan to add forced air if needed. I put the power inlet/switch up towards the front, to reach it easier, and the outputs on the back sides.

I used 6.9v zener (LM329)-3.3k R7,8; Jfets from punkydawgs, and VS-HFA25TB60-M3 Hexfred's for the rectifiers. Transformer is an Antek 3218 (300Va, dual 18v)

Please look the attached over and let me know if I have made any rookie mistakes, etc before I start it up. ( I built a bulb tester, and plan to unhook each amp side, test the psu, then one side at a time. I have the zeners turned down. The amp guides were great, but pics of the diyaudio psu rectifier boards wired up are a little shy (I found one) - so let me know if I have it right. Thank you to NP and all here.
Michael

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 610
  • bottom.jpg.jpg
    bottom.jpg.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 615
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 558
  • left.jpg