F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agree with 4U. The F6 is the "Coolest" First watt I have encountered. Mine is just warm, and it is biased just over the "standard." M2 and F5 much warmer, and 4U is fine for them as well. AlephJ is said to be hot, and many say 4U is fine for it. I haven't a spare case to put my Aleph J bits in, so cant say.

I am trying to talk myself into putting the two power supplies out of my M2 and F6 into a 4U for a dual mono power supply, and moving it from one first watt to the other...:cheers:

Russellc

What type of chassis would you recommend for F6? Should it be like 4U. I have one with 150mm heatsinks, was thinking to try it :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

The question you need to ask yourself: Is this likely to be the last firstwatt amp you will build?
4U is certainly ok, but if you decide to build another amp in the future 4U might limit you in what you can and can't build. 5U opens up more options

Thanks to all you for the explanations. I think I owe an explanation as well.

I have a couple of amps to build now

F6 Convertible
F5T
M2

So on the chassis side, I wpuld be getring 5u 500mm depth any way and I think ot could be re used later on for a successor of F5T

Dont think my main rack would accommodate two 5u chassis though. So the second chassis should be smaller either 4u

As I have one chassis 150mm tall and 400mm deep already. I was wondering. whether I can re use it for F6

Ruseelc,
The idea of using separated psus was always accommodating to me, although I did not apply it for the amps will need to give it a thought. For the F6 and M2, as they are using similar PSUs

Why I am building several amps, just to try the sound and possibly do a semi active speaker in my main room. Highs and mids with passive xo and lows as fully active

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks to all you for the explanations. I think I owe an explanation as well.

I have a couple of amps to build now

F6 Convertible
F5T
M2

So on the chassis side, I wpuld be getring 5u 500mm depth any way and I think ot could be re used later on for a successor of F5T

Dont think my main rack would accommodate two 5u chassis though. So the second chassis should be smaller either 4u

As I have one chassis 150mm tall and 400mm deep already. I was wondering. whether I can re use it for F6

Ruseelc,
The idea of using separated psus was always accommodating to me, although I did not apply it for the amps will need to give it a thought. For the F6 and M2, as they are using similar PSUs

Why I am building several amps, just to try the sound and possibly do a semi active speaker in my main room. Highs and mids with passive xo and lows as fully active

My thought is this...I love the F6, listening to it right now! However, I would move the M2 to the front of that line! It is very special. The TF5 is another beast altogether. I sold my group build kit and used the transformer and power supply on the BA-3 power amp with 32 volt rails.

The M2 is amazing...not to take anything away from the F6, but if I was on the proverbial desert island with one power amp, it would be the M2.;)

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
.......I plan to either just not connect the (-) pole on the XLR in the F6, or either short, or put a resistor between ground pin and (-).

that really depends of preamp itself

be careful ...... some are constructed in a way that best sound is when both output phases are loaded , while other ones are indifferent :rofl:

however , speaking of XLR as input for F6 - best bet is to put resistor between gnd and neg pin , of same value as input impedance at positive side

that would be 47K

Thank you.. gain 'should' be fine.
If not there are the wee gain mods 6l6 suggested ;) in page 358 ? of the B1 thread ?
Was earlier suggested a BA3 was the way to go for my F6.
But a BA3 comprises a Lot! of bits ..( it's an entire amp ?)
I'm not convinced I actually need the (any) gain and I'm liking the 'few parts' theme.
No Noise is BIG for me.
F 6 is the Only amp in 40 years of fooling about..that makes NO noises.. None!
V nice.

Last edited: