F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

Now I get what the fuss is about Nelson Pass' amps...

I've built a F5 turbo V2 and absolutely love it! I thought my VTA - ST70 tube amp was really great, but the F5 turbo is noticeably better. Even the wife heard the difference!

A special thanks to 6L6 and his great build guide and email support!

I used a 800va toroid, the V3 boards, the 5u Deluxe chassis. It fired up without any issues. Initial bias setting is about 375mv with 47 degrees centigrade temperature at the heatsink.

Some pictures attached (it is the big box on the top right of the rig :D ).

More on my blog: https://zimmer64.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/pass-f5-turbo-v2/

Cheers

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    713.9 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 805
Great build! Thanks for the pictures to motivate me. I like your paintings aswell!

Can't take credit for the paintings. They are my wife's work :cool: Will tell her you like them.
I had set up a workbench in her atelier for this project. I installed my open baffle speakers there. The sound of those is addictive and one is surrounded by all the artwork.

Ok, I got rid of the earth bridge rectifier thing as it lead to sparkling fun and ommitted as well the thermistors....already a very audible step into the right direction. Clearer imaging while maintaing the nice warm signature. Next weekend then conversion back to v1...

Straight connection between ground, earth and chassis. If I am thinking how serious we took the question in which direct the power plug has tobe...maybe the bridge is not so great to help the current flow between pre and power which goes on over the power plug(smal, but audible therefore the starground scheme in some powerdistribution)

I have built more than twenty F5V2 steroset, but never run into a problem like this. PCB is cvillers(see photo).

Setting bias give this results on sourceresistors: Q4(NPN) 254 mV but on Q 104(second NPN) 11.4 mV. Q3(PNP) 240mV but on Q 103(second PNP) 28.5 mV. Offset is no promlem to adjust(1-2 mV).

I have other NPN and PNP taken from the same bat. so to find two of each to match will be easy(but not matching NPN and PNP). As long as I can adjust offset close to zero, I find this kind of matching fair.

Any good advices??

Attachments

• P3220031.jpg
    P3220031.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 518