F5m kit

Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm telling zenmod. He will force you to pick your own paddling switch. Use any crimp ons with that build? LOL.
In all seriousness the anodize layer is a pretty good insulator. Problem is it's very thin and a sliver of metal could pierce through. I'm guilty of using some crimps here and there on non mission critical or low current supply rails and such. High level audio output leads, important grounds, and main amp rails I almost always solder. I've been using these XT60's any place I just really need a reliable connector without loss or problems down the road..

Attachments

• xt60.png
    xt60.png
    27 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have used XT60 and Deans plugs for power and speaker connections within amplifier chassis and have complete confidence in them. They have large contact areas and are designed for many Amperes of current. They are also very secure as it takes some force to disconnect them.

They are typically used in radio controlled model vehicles and aircraft to connect lithium polymer batteries that provide many Amperes of current to electric motors under demanding conditions.

Reactions: 5 users
I've been thinking about using connectors for easy swaps and modularity. In shopping board mount terminal options, I found that Wago makes pcb connectors. I love their 221 lever locks for line and low voltage field work so might try using them with the snap in bases for flying leads and the pcb mount version looks interesting too. I've recently started coming to grips with Kicad so a trial might happen eventually.
The 211-4 series are IEC approved up to 32A, UL to 20A and the 221-6 are rated to 40A IEC and 30A UL. I'm sure the idea is questionable for some but they also rate Lloydes Register and the American Bureau of Shipping approval, and apparently also meet ABYC standards.

Reactions: 1 user
Vunce, I should have been more specific 221-4xx and 221-6xx are the standard lever nuts with -4xx accepting 12-24ga wire and -6xx accepts 10-20ga.
I'd have to suggest going directly to the Wago site for the pcb mount info. I haven't dug through the options just yet.
You can't beat these things for general use. Strand, fine strand and solid conductors in a wide range of guages using a single listed unit sure simplifies things.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a 400VA transformer for use on 230V. I would normally use a pair of CL60's linking L & N on the transformer input and planned to do so in this build as I have a handful spare. Catching up with the thread I'm getting the impression that the CL60 is out of favour these days and there are a few new kids on the block. I was wondering if I am still ok with the CL60's or are the thermistors mentioned earlier in the thread much more suited to this amp with 400VA?

Joined 2001
Paid Member
The thermistor discussion was about the use of the devices in the "R" position of the CRC power supply board, and the current rating of those devices. Refer to the revised PASSWORKS article, it's at the very end. I would absolutely use the CL60's in the transformer primary, I don't see an issue there.

Reactions: 2 users
The thermistor discussion was about the use of the devices in the "R" position of the CRC power supply board, and the current rating of those devices. Refer to the revised PASSWORKS article, it's at the very end. I would absolutely use the CL60's in the transformer primary, I don't see an issue there.
Posts 498 and 501 make useful references to better or more suitable? alternatives to the CL60 for in rush duties, these were prompted by the store's completion kit photo showing an unidentified thermistor presumably for this function. The store version certainly looks beefier than a CL60!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's what I do Good enough for Nelson's First Watt, good enough for me! I did follow 6l6's build guide for BA3, where he used a time delay from DIY store, but otherwise all mine used the CL 60 setup. There has been a thread or two here concerning other choices for this parts position.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The CL-60 thermistors are usually sufficient on the primary side, and will suffice with the standard F5m power supply.
When I use larger banks of filter caps, I will often opt for CL-70 or sometimes MS22-20005 thermistors, depending on the anticipated inrush current.
Do you remember a discussion/thread along these thermistor choice lines? I'll search minute, but seriously, I would use CL60 no problem, but there are these other choices as well.