F4 power amplifier

Re: Re: Re: IRFP240 has been divested !!!???

Andrzej Sochon said:

Here are Fairchild substitutes of IRFP240/9240:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/I/R/F/P/IRFP240B_FP001.shtml
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/SF/SFH9240.html

Anybody has experience with Fairchild substitutes, I mean applications of Mr. Nelson Pass developments, schematics?
a.

Yes, you're on the correct path. You'll also notice that Fairchild is one dollar cheaper, per part, than Vishay, if you purchase in lots of 100--that's assuming a purchase through Mouser.

Edit: you can also cut that price in half if you use Fairchild's SFP9630 at sixty-eight cents per unit in lots of 100. Fairchild's IRF630B unit is only fifty-eight cents. These are what I'm using in my F4.

Re: IRFP240 has been divested !!!???

carpenter said:

Yes, you're on the correct path. You'll also notice that Fairchild is one dollar cheaper, per part, than Vishay, if you purchase in lots of 100--that's assuming a purchase through Mouser.

Carpenter,
Thank you very much for advice. First I found one dealer here in Warsaw and I ordered 25xIRFP240 and 25xIRFP9240, and one hour later I got a message "IRFP240 has been divested" and start to alarm. I am not sure if all my transistors will go from the same assembly line, I hope what I will get is not an accidental scrape from the a few remnant shops...
Best Regards,
a.

If you take a look at all the major vendors you'll see that the IRFP part is still there but the manufacturer is now Vishay IR.
Same part, same source, just different shareholders.

The VSHP was only a joke, Vishay is VSH.
(though the rumour is that IRF France stated the part has been digested and changed to a VSOP240)

Sounds like the Woodpecker is getting prepped for the A75.

(think i never paid more than 35 $-cents for 630/9630 Intersils. Would you believe that earlier 75W TO-220 verticals cost me as much as $7.50/pc, roughly the same rate as the cheapest source of TO3 Hibachi lateral Mosfets charged)

jacco vermeulen said:
If you take a look at all the major vendors you'll see that the IRFP part is still there but the manufacturer is now Vishay IR.
Same part, same source, just different shareholders.

The VSHP was only a joke, Vishay is VSH.
(though the rumour is that IRF France stated the part has been digested and changed to a VSOP240)

Sounds like the Woodpecker is getting prepped for the A75.

(think i never paid more than 35 $-cents for 630/9630 Intersils. Would you believe that earlier 75W TO-220 verticals cost me as much as $7.50/pc, roughly the same rate as the cheapest source of TO3 Hibachi lateral Mosfets charged)

I'm going to have to check out Intersils.;)
Rather than a A75, I'd like to explore the F4 and take it to its furthest potential. It seems that a voltage gain stage would be in order. Perhaps the A75 has such a beast.

I'd like to save the pumpkin for overall preamp, but maybe it's destiny will be that of F4 front end. I'd have to lower the gain a bit if it were not the primary preamp--yes?

For now, I'm just blown away at the clarity of the F4. I'm only in mono, and can't wait to hear stereo. I like it better than my ZV7-T, and I wouldn't have thought that possible. The ZV7-T is an outstanding amp, but lacks the bottom-end unless I use ridiculously large chokes....

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Since I will use my F4's in balanced mode mostly are there any adjustments that could be made to make them optimal for balanced use ie Damping Factor (not that we get very fired up about that around here) ? I assume that they are optimized for single ended. On the other hand I suspect that parallel mode is alway gonna have half the DF of single ended.

Another question about DF:
The 15" JBL drivers in my Basszillas are not stock and are heavily damped electromagnetically (made for the Japanese market) so while their bass is very precise sounding, it rolls off a lot in the lower frequencies. .

Obviously they are candidates for a monster current amp, but at the BA show the bass was more apparent than usual. and I realize that I was probably using an amp with poor DF. (the bass drivers have a separate amp) SO, does it make sense that less damping factor would make then a bit "looser" and actually sound "better"?

Speaking of current amps,Can the F1 or F2 be turned into monster current amps with balanced input(there are always transformers I guess...) using 8 irf250 MOSFETS? per channel? - maybe I know my next project!!

Mark

Anybody has experience with Fairchild substitutes, I mean applications of Mr. Nelson Pass developments, schematics?

My F4 has Fairchild FQA19N20C/FQA12P20. Cheap. sound great and have good specs. The N channel fet is a newer process than the P and has lower Vgs. I'm not sure how good of a match they are. In the amp, it's not as tubey as my JLH (a lot tighter, more punch, and detail) and it's sweeter than my bro-inlaw's X150.5.

-Mal

Malotron said:
My F4 has Fairchild FQA19N20C/FQA12P20. Cheap. sound great and have good specs...
-Mal

Hi Mal,

I see your Fairchilds have a nice input capacitance, below 1000 pF.

I would like to thank all of you for advices and interested links.

Now I wait for delivery of an ordered 25/25 pcs of 240/9240 and see what happens during matching. I have a bit time to arrange my laboratory, I have to dig at my cellar to find old heatsinks, aluminium sheeting and a few IRFP240 and 250 - remaining from my SOZ successful old works.

Best Regards, Andrzej

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
Speaking of current amps,Can the F1 or F2 be turned into monster current amps with balanced input(there are always transformers I guess...) using 8 irf250 MOSFETS? per channel? - maybe I know my next project!!

Mark

to keep it uniform :devilr: ........ make more F4s and run them in parallel .....

Papa drew that already in manual...

lazy Mod ....... :rofl:

Variac said:
Mark

Hi Mark,

Why irf250 ? Input capacitance here is 2850pF - this is approx. two times more in comparison with IRFP240 (1300pF).
rgds,
a

QUOTE]Obviously they are candidates for a monster current amp, but at the BA show the bass was more apparent than usual. and I realize that I was probably using an amp with poor DF. (the bass drivers have a separate amp) SO, does it make sense that less damping factor would make then a bit "looser" and actually sound "better"?[/QUOTE]

OT moderater (oops, I see you are chief moderator, please disregard that, the boss is always right!)

If I understand your question correctly, yes that is exactly what is supposed to happen. I have a Mini-A and an A-75. The bass is a bit louder and looser with the aleph. I also find it to be more enjoyable and musical with the Aleph. My speak's are closed box with a Qts of around .6. What are the "basszillas" -- vented or closed box?

JJ

The question of which MOSFET to use is not easily solved by looking at the spec sheets. I have related a story in the past wherein I discovered that I liked the high frequency presentation of a not-so-good-on-paper MOSFET better than one that was apparently superior. The solution is to try several different MOSFETs, but that's expensive. This is where something like the Mini-A comes in handy, as it only requires two MOSFETs and they don't need to be matched.

Grey