F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you're going to use it exclusively that way, your toob amp is better buffer than eeenyweeny Toshibas

so, no need for buffer, use Crippled F4

Attachments

• Crippled-F4.jpg
    Crippled-F4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
ok, now I realized that you're talking about new, just assembled one

you can put 3pcs of 1K5 in series , to get some 4K5 in place of R9

Choky,

Found some 10ks last night. Biased up this morning. Driving it with cathode follower at only 3.5v, straight out of my dac. Surprisingly loud enough, but, I’ll need a proper linestage.

It definitely is one of the coolest things I’ve ever built. I’m basically listening to my dac through the loudspeaker. There is a fraction of SS to the sound. But, I definitely see what brilliance this thing is: It really sounds as it’s supposed to sound: like the source.

TDA1541->Class A I/V->5687 follower->F4>Montis

Cheers,

GG

@william2001

Balanced or unbalanced?
Sensitivity of speakers?
Getting good drive?

Unbalanced
89db (Martin Logan lists it at 91db, but I don't believe that number. The salient point is that it has a powered woofer, which is obviously makes a huge difference. I run this loudspeaker with SET amps at 2-3 watts. People have tried to school me on the forums that this isn't possible, but they aren't considering the impedance load presented by this design. I do have a HE loudspeaker of my design that is in the 96db range that I need to try with the F4.)

Some of the higher gain tracks I listened to this morning were high enough that I had to turn the volume down (digital volume). OTOH, I still need a proper tube linestage. I've got a gaggle of SS linestages that are wonderful, but these days tube stuff is really where it's at for me). Last year I built a 300b linestage but I sold it to fund another project. DOH!

With just 3.5v, I don't see this as a solution for everyone, but in my case it actually works because of the loudspeaker. So, if you've got a true HE loudspeaker you could drive the F4 with very low voltage and get away with it.

The very simple signal chain that I have is pretty remarkable. After about an hour of warm-up I thought that the F4 did indeed sound like the simple cathode follower driving it: smooth, great separation and scale.

I'm planning two linestages, both single tube.

Cheers,

Greg

Joined 2001
Paid Member
@william2001

Balanced or unbalanced?
Sensitivity of speakers?
Getting good drive?

Balanced input from a Buffalo DAC, digital volume control. Low sensitivity bookshelf speakers in a small bedroom. I run the volume around 60% at my normal listening levels. There will certainly be situations where it wouldn't be a good fit if you require plenty of drive. I also use an autoformer for another 6db of gain. Sounds really nice though.