F4 power amplifier

What is the impact of being too small? They cannot dissipate as much heat?
In the F4, the MOSFETs only dissipate about 10 watts each, which should not be a problem with their smaller footprint. If you need to dissipate 30 watts each, you can attach TO-220 MOSFETs to copper heat spreaders using thermal epoxy and clamp them to the heatsink like shown below. In the left image, the TO-220 FETs had not yet been glued to the copper. In the right image, the FETs are secured to the heatsink using an aluminum bar and misc&grease insulation.

Attachments

• DSC_0059-red.jpg
    DSC_0059-red.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC_0061-red.jpg
    DSC_0061-red.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 317
From the data sheets:

FQA12P20 has 150 W; FQP12P20 has 120 W dissipation.
FQA19N20 HAS 190 W; FQP19N20 HAS 140 W dissipation

With F4, 6 devices per channel @ (120 watt & 140) = 720 & 840 watt max total dissipation using TO-220. Seems like you would be OK.

Have I got this right? The Fairchild FQP are readily available from Mouser (last I checked) - easier to get. FQA are discontinued. Otherwise, it would not matter to me.

I want to see your heatsink and power supply for 800 watts dissipation. I do not think Papa really intended to scale the F4 that far, although it might be done. If you want that power level you should consider increasing the number of MOSFETs.

From the data sheets:

FQA12P20 has 150 W; FQP12P20 has 120 W dissipation.
FQA19N20 HAS 190 W; FQP19N20 HAS 140 W dissipation

With F4, 6 devices per channel @ (120 watt & 140) = 720 & 840 watt max total dissipation using TO-220. Seems like you would be OK.

Have I got this right? The Fairchild FQP are readily available from Mouser (last I checked) - easier to get. FQA are discontinued. Otherwise, it would not matter to me.

If using the BA-3 front-end with a crippled F4, there is one more capacitor in the chain than is necessary. In the BA-3 there is the output capacitor C3. In the crippled F4 there are C1 and C2. Is there any agreement about which one to eliminate? The most obvious choices are:

1. Eliminate the BA-3 output capacitor C3 directly connecting to the node between C1 and C2 in the F4.
  2. Eliminate F4 capacitor C2 as is done in the BA-2 output stage.
Any opinions?

Any benefit using toshiba 2sk1530/2SJ201 outputs, will 2nd order harmonic character changes the sound for better or worse?
Does this nice sounding amp deserve better parts or not applicable in this case?

I believe in the F4 the use of those sought after Toshibas will be a waste as you probably wont be able hear it's sonic fingerprint, not as when used in the F5 or F5T.

Any benefit using toshiba 2sk1530/2SJ201 outputs, will 2nd order harmonic character changes the sound for better or worse?
Does this nice sounding amp deserve better parts or not applicable in this case?

I believe in the F4 the use of those sought after Toshibas will be a waste as you probably wont be able hear it's sonic fingerprint, not as when used in the F5 or F5T.

The Toshiba's are a closer complementary match. This should allow for lower distortion.
The Toshiba's are a lower Vgs in comparison to the Fairchild or IRF parts allowing the Rs to be about half the .47 ohms, maybe .22 ohms, creating a lower output impedance and better drive for low impedance loads.