F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it deserves dedicated thread ......... biasing ( depletion mode parts ) is what's most complicated

however , when made properly , you'll not hear so easily difference between boutique parts and plain vanilla mosfets based follower stage

so , if name of the game is fun - why not ....... but if you expect some miracle , it's just throwing money and time through window

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sheafer -

I agree with ZM; using unobtanium rare parts in a follower is gilding the lily. One of the (many) reasons to use a follower stage is that the devices themselves impart very little of their sonic character on the signal. You will get as good results with more commonly available parts.

You want an amp where the signal makes it through the output - an F6-style would be fantastic in this regard, and be a good place for your parts.

If you have the F4 PCB, build a 'normal' F4... It's a fantastic amp in it's own regard.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I see the Fairchild 19N and 12P parts are much cheaper a 1/3 of the price of the IRFP parts.
As I have not bought yet.....what should I buy? Why did you use the Fairchild parts 6L6?

So you have good luck... they are unobtainable normally...

the 19N and 12P haver a brighter and more detailed sound, but of course less relaxed than the IRF, matter of taste....and speakers and room .... and CD-player.....and .... and ....:)