F3 Builders Thread

Ahh... good find, Dennis.

But this begs the question: in many pictures of F3s (including the production units), it appears that a mica cap is used here. The micas I've found in this size are more expensive than film, so I don't think it's cost savings. Is mica better for this particular application?

FWIW, Charcroft markets their silver mica caps as "ideal for low value capacitors in RIAA or feedback circuits". (But hey, marketers will say almost anything, and most iRIAA filters I see use films, so go figure.)

Converting dual-rail PS to single-rail

OK, perhaps a stupid question, but:

If I'm using the "standard" dual-rail FirstWatt PS for an F3, then I want to convert to single-rail by joining the grounds of the two sections together so that I have 46V between +23 and -23.

Do I let this center section float and tie the -23V to chassis ground and left/right channel ground?

... or do I tie the center section to chassis ground (as in the dual-rail schematics) and let the -23V/left/right channel ground float?

Thanks,
Jeff

So just to be clear, the center section (the two grounds of the dual-rail supply) are left floating, and the -23V rail becomes the chassis ground (as well as the ground for the left and right channel boards). Yes?

And R1 - R4 should be 0ohms (i.e.: wire)?

Attachments

• F6 PSU.png
    F6 PSU.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 407
R5 to R8 is zero Ohms.

Ooops; copied the wrong schematic. The other one I have is numbered backwards from that one.

Get rid of the thermistor link.
You only use one bridge rectifier
Look at the Delite article to see example of correct implementation.

Hmmmm... in that case it might make sense to go to a single set of 50V or 63V capacitors as well.

I'll have a look at the other article.

Thanks again!

Jeff.

So just to be clear, the center section (the two grounds of the dual-rail supply) are left floating, and the -23V rail becomes the chassis ground (as well as the ground for the left and right channel boards). Yes?

And R1 - R4 should be 0ohms (i.e.: wire)?

In the schematic if you measure between V- and V+ with a voltmeter you will see you have approximately 50V without a load. The V- becomes ground. No changes necessary. Same 18V transformer and PS section for most Firstwatt builds can be used. The amp boards are just hooked up differently.