Extreme nearfield monitors. Full range driver, coaxial, etc?

I have a really unique situation. I have converted a 40 ft school bus into a workshop. My desk and computer screen sit against a side wall. My ears to the glass window in front of me measures 33" to my ears. I love making crazy solutions, and am designing a simple system which replaces my window with a custom frame and acrylic panels. This allows me to slide the removable panel out, and slide a speaker enclosure through that cut out. When it drops into place, the speaker baffle is flat with the rest of the window/wall. The actual enclosure hangs outside the actual window and down the side of the bus exterior wall. Braced with sorbothane to prevent vibrating against the wall. I love this idea, and could easily anything from a 2 way, to a coaxial, to a full range coaxial.

BUT I don't have a clue what would work best from only 33" away from each ear. I think this would be considered extreme nearfield?

Any suggestions?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That close to your head i would suggest a small FR. 3-4”.

A derivation of smething like this would work.

uFonkenSE-comp.jpg

How big. abox can you live with?

dave

I don't have ANY size constrictions on the enclosure. The enclosure is LITERALLY completely outside the bus wall, in free space. It could be 10 cu feet. ONLY the baffle is inside the bus window. Imagine a flush mount window AC unit but completely flat faced. I could fit as large as a pair of 10" drivers.

If you take an office chair and position it where you toes just barely touch the baseboard of the wall in front of you with your legs at a semi relaxed angle, now imagine speakers mounted flush in that wall, but with a huge room behind the wall for your enclosure to be built in. That is what I have.

The only thing got me interested at all was the cool looking driver from PE I know nothing about how to use PROPERLY. An 8" coaxial, or 6.5 of the same model, with a cool looking gold spike for a dust cap. Just on looks. LOL
I first wondered how I could use it. Then went from there.

Last edited:
Not surprisingly to those familiar with my work, but another strong vote for 3 - 4” full range drivers for such an application, of which there is now an embarrassment of riches from which to choose. Few of the usual suspects lack “personality” in terms of tonal balance, which very near field listening will not likely minimize.

If you’re looking for suggestions, the Fostex FF105WK & FF85WK, Mark Audio 5 & 7cm series, ScanSpeak 10F, SB Acoustics SB10PG, Peerless TC9FD, SEAS FU10RB, Dayton PS95 & RS100 are the few that most immediately come to mind. I’ve heard the first 6 of the series/models listed above and certainly have my own preferences. Note that the oft mentioned suggestion to not worry too much about irregularities /spikes in the top octave or so generally applies if listen off axis at distances greater than 1 meter, so caveat emptor.

Most of those listed would be quite happy in smallish enclosures; 3-5 litres sounds about right to me.
Anyways, it’s just a thought, y’all have a great time of it.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I did a KEF-Ken trapezoid for those. 5 litres. IIf you are lucky, in the right place at the right time, some of those might be had cheapish.

It is the right size. But i see no advantage given how good some of the small FRs are, with top at least on par with many tweters, no XO, spend money on quality bnot quantity (of bits).

The bus does not go anywhere?

dave

" Fostex FF105WK & FF85WK, Mark Audio 5 & 7cm series, ScanSpeak 10F, SB Acoustics SB10PG, Peerless TC9FD, SEAS FU10RB, Dayton PS95 & RS100"

OK. Let's make this easy. No budget constraints for the drivers above. So, which pair if you listened to TOOL or NIN? My music collection is infinite. But many speakers fall flat trying to do the extremely busy and dynamic stuff.

The bus can go anywhere, but does not since it is my shop. It is like a home inside. Extremely nice. I consider it perfectly modular in every way imaginable. I already figured I would just drill holes through the bus wall to pass any necessary port PVC through from the outside box. Mount a coupling in the wall permanently and attach the port from both sides of the wall, LOL. Port it directly into my knees.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It's important to understand how such a driver could benefit you in your specific situation. If a full range driver uses its size to focus higher frequencies then you may benefit from reduced reflections from your desk, or from the ceiling. In your situation I'd probably treat the wall behind you in any case.

Sitting near the speakers may reduce the apparent effect of more widely reflected energy, in case you were concerned about power variations due to higher frequency lobing.

Having an in-wall style of mounting could benefit you in the areas of efficiency, helping the full range with bass, and ease of setup giving you access to a cleaner midrange/bass region to begin with.

On the other hand you could address your specific needs using waveguiding. Elongated ribbons are another way to use size for directivity like full range drivers do, in this case in the vertical dimension.

The neighbors would not like me.
You are giving them free music...no? You can try charging them for it, like the merchant of Venice....

On a different note, I like the Faitalpro 3Fe22 for mids and treble, need to supplement with a sub, or you could go Faitalpro 4Fe32 for full range....

I think full range might be the way to go... your short distance would mean you are probably going to pick up many small phase imperfections and sound localisation.

You could consider the Cornu Spiral horn, there are plans for it being built out of foam core boards.

Oon

Oon

"Sitting near the speakers may reduce the apparent effect of more widely reflected energy, in case you were concerned about power variations due to higher frequency lobing.

You are over my head. I am more concerned with which ones will be best for heavy music in my application.

Having an in-wall style of mounting could benefit you in the areas of efficiency, helping the full range with bass, and ease of setup giving you access to a cleaner midrange/bass region to begin with.

This is what I was thinking. Wall reinforcement.

On the other hand you could address your specific needs using waveguiding. Elongated ribbons are another way to use size for directivity like full range drivers do, in this case in the vertical dimension."

A waveguide for a full range driver? Are you recommending stacking a number of ribbons up the 22" window height? Can't see these playing low enough.