Exploring Purifi Woofer Speaker Builds

Hi bcodemz ..... Ooooops -- Time to eat some crow, I didn't see the tweeter used with the Purifi driver, So I Assumed that you were just talking about the the 10 inch driver used with the compression driver. Talk about ironic , my wife and I were sitting watching TV, and I was reading posts and surfing around too .... when I saw your post , I just saw "Scanlon speaker" ... so I told my wife who was sitting close by , I wish people would actually read my posts before commenting --- Maybe I should have read your post more carefully!!! - :D

So I apologize... and I would like my crow well done please...

- in way of explanation I have had many times were the poster didn't read what I wrote a couple of posts back..... :) .... but no excuse.

Reviving the FD371 horn tweeter discussion.

They did use the Purifi Drivers.... See the link in the post above for the baby reds!

My first thought is to agree with xrk971 “seems a waste to use a 110dB tweeter just to pad it down to 84dB to match the PTT6.5. Also, compression drivers are not known to be lowest distortion - although, maybe running them at millliwatts of power to get 84dB is the way to keep distortion low as it’s hardly working. Not sure why the Scanlon red needs a 150w amp for the tweeter”.

My guess is the 150w tweeter amp for 107dB/W/m tweeter is in the plate amp used it has one high current voltage rail for both woofer and tweeter so their power ratings are identical.

Following link to Baby Reds review on SOS two things jump out as I scan it, from the Listening In section two of the author’s observations I will comment on.

The first thing I noticed on switching them on was some background hiss.” Hello 107dB/W/m tweeter, whenever one ventures into +100dB/W/m territory audible noise will be your challenge, especially as in this case when going active with the amplifier directly connected to the driver. Here the 23 – 26 dB of attenuation needed to match the PTT6.5’s sensitivity xrk971 points out when accomplished as part of a high level passive crossover will help. Downstream from the electronics the noise is attenuated down 20dB (along with the signal).

And then in the review “The second thing I noticed is that Baby Reds really don't sound much like a typical pair of nearfield monitors. It was almost as if somebody had removed the wall behind my DAW display and installed a pair of traditional, horn-loaded main monitors a couple of metres away. The Baby Red, despite or perhaps because of its unusual design, plays a remarkable trick of sounding huge.” And that is exactly why I dove headfirst down the Purifi rabbit hole.

Measurements by Voice Coil of the FD371 can be found here:
https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/40_Voice_Coil/2012/2012_9_Sept.pdf

At first glance the distortion measurements do not look that great, then one notices they were taken at 104 dB. How that does or does not scale to living room listening levels is beyond my experience. The frequency response VC measured is not as flat as the datasheet’s (I’m shocked) however it looks better and more useable than the typical horn tweeters I am familiar with. In my perfect world it would extend further past 20k Hz (I am in the super tweeter fan camp) but at least the roll off is clean and does not evidence nasty breakup behaviors. I would put the FD371 on my short list of horn loaded tweeters along with the $$$s Fostexs and Visaton TL 16 H.

That leaves the question is a horn tweeter a good match to PTT6.5? Personally I am more on the ribbon and then dome paths but having heard SOTA horn drivers in my friend’s Pi Speakers (Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance) and Volti Audio (Volti Audio - Hi-Efficiency Horn Speakers) I can say horns are a path to dynamics and transparency.

Speaking of horns + Purifi PTT6.5

Joseph Crowe is a designer I have been following for a while on the two great time suck black holes YouTube and Instagram. Crowe is an automotive engineer who left the automotive industry to pursue HiFi speaker design full time. Befitting his professional background his work is heavy on the CAD and CNC side using Solidworks CAD and in-house CNC capabilities. Joseph has concentrated on horn loading producing what I find to be really lovely designs in hardwoods. This week he introduced a design using the Purifi PTT6.5 with a horn loaded tweeter.

Joseph Crowe Purifi + Satori Be kit Model 1198

Floorstanding Speaker Series No.1198 ? Technical Design Walkthrough - YouTube

And his web site where the kit is offered.

Speaker No. 1198 --- Floorstanding Transmission Line – Joseph Crowe

The $1680CND price for a flatpack ($3715 with drivers) will annoy some, I advise withholding judgements until one studies the depth of design and fabrication being offered.

1198SpeakerCloseViewPTT6.5Woofer_900x.jpg

Yes, I’m a fan. From afar, alas have not had the pleasure to see and hear a Joseph Crowe design, yet.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A SOA fullrange like 10F/8424 with a Tractrix can also sound gloriously dynamic and transparent. Why? The cone only moves 40 micro-meters to make 90dB - typical “loud” listening levels. There is no audible distortion at all. Just clean clean sound. And no need to burn off 24dB of amp power in the passive XO. If you have a quiet amp, it will still sound quiet. I made full range tractrix and it was one of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. It won’t have the super tweeter 25kHz reach - but the midrange up to 15kHz is quite wonderful.

Ah.....mention tractrix and fond memories of the honor when Dr Bruce Edgar visited my home to deliver the turned wood tractrix horn I had purchased. A special night. The good doctor was better known back then.

edgarinterview

It was encounters with tractrix horns in the 1990s that informed me horn speakers did not always sound like Peavy PA speakers.

Now he is part of the team that is pushing horn design to amazing heights. If we can have hypercars than this must be hyperhorns.

PEOPLE——ESD Acoustic

111118-ESD%20Ken-600_0.jpg

And with Norman lacking the net worth measured 9 figures to the left of the decimal point we circle back to Purifi loudspeakers and big horn sound from 6.5" drivers.

Hi Norman , I like Joseph Crowe designs too, but they are out of my price range, Did you see his E-250 Dual Planar Front Horn speaker using the NEO 8 drivers? - I wish I had 2,500 to spend - I Need a pair!

I also was privileged to spend time visiting with Dr. Bruce Edgar, we went out to his shop for a couple of horn seminars. He is really a nice guy , and he can talk all day on Horn speakers. I always wanted a pair of his Horns.

I have a question , I have 4 Purify Drivers and am not sure of the best way to use them - does anyone have suggestions for a design..... ?

..... Or another way to approach this, if you had 4 drivers , how would you use them, what would you build??

If you post the specs, I can use hornresp and come up with a TL. I am currently building a pair of TL's with 2 Peerless 6.5"HDS each. Next project after that is 2 x Dayton RS225-8 per line.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Xrk, thanks for the input... if you can find a TL design , will it work for the two drivers or does it need to be designed for the dual divers?

You could take my existing TL, unfold it to a tall floorstander (maybe 1 turn) and double channel depth. That would work, although it’s a pretty straightforward design to run a simulation. As it’s a single 180deg hairpin turn.

847691d159051982832-simple-passive-harsch-xo-using-ptt6-5-rs28f-waveguide-ptt6-5-tl-render-blique-v01-jpg

So imaging this box unfolded and tall with the woofer facing front and back about 32in high woofer axis and box 40in tall. Tweeter in waveguide below woofer using passive Harsch XO of course.

Hi ontariomaximus , Thank you for offering to help... the attachment at the bottom has the specs.

I couldn't download the whole document , it's 2.54 mb, and the attachment only allows 1.91 mb , I think the attachment has all the information you need , but I'm posting the link too.

PTT6.5W04 - PURIFI

Attachments

• -- b -- PTT6.5W04-Data-Sheet-1.01.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 80