Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Just linked up my pair of Digitec transformers and it's only been 10minutes, but already I can now see what others were talking about. No matter HOW good the op-amp, they always add something to the sound. The transformers - in comparison - just seem to tell it like it is. Extremely natural full bodied sound which is superb in all respects. Very VERY happy with this sound. As natural as I've ever heard from red book CD. Now I just need to tidy up the wiring and make it all as short as possible. Is it necessary to shield the wires to/from the transformers? I'll also wire the transformers to the DACs adapter board solder points instead of the 4 spaces left by the original capacitors - should shave a couple centimeters and solder joints off the signal path.

Count me in as another convert to the output transformers :)

Thanks so much to Franz for all his help with my transformer questions off-board too. I owe you one!

- John

Hi all

Received the Digitecs this morning Thankyou Franz.

Hooked them up an hour ago and well what can I say WOW!!!

This mod is not subtle at all and is definately the way to go with this dac you're just closer to the music, it's fantastic

Thanks again to everyone in this thread especially Legarem and Franz who has been brilliant to deal with.

cheers jon

Edcor

Skipping lunch for a funding source, I ordered a pair of Edcor XSM 10k/15k and they should be here any minute. Total price with shipping was under $32. I'll let you know how they compare to the UTC. I can't say anything about the Digitec, Studer or Ludahl, but the UTC have been simply fantastic. If the Edcors are any good, they could be the solution for cheapskates like me. I'll let you all know as soon as I break them in.
Ciao Y'all

Layout

For those who wants to do simple things, here is one of the dacs I modified with Lundahl LL1690

There's no wires between the dac and transformers.

The transformers were simply glued with hot glue on the board.

I also have the new dac with upsampling and I have to decide if I like upsampling better or not.

I'm really happy that everyone seems to love this transformer topology. I still think that this the best way to go.

Attachments

• dac-trans.jpg
    dac-trans.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,075
I just received my Lundahl LL1690 and attached them immediately to the DAC.

Again, I am surprized, it seems to me like a step one forward. But wait, I will attach the switch and compare it to the Digitec solution.

On sunday I plan to visit a friend, a very creative loudspeaker builder:

http://www.rahaso.de/foren/msg.php?f=audiotreff_hoerner&idx=18499&

We will compare his non oversampling TDA1541A solution with this DAC. Maybe I'll also bring in a Studer D730.

His setup actually looks like this:

http://www.rahaso.de/foren/msg.php?f=audiotreff_hoerner&idx=18509&

He also built the worlds first (and only?) woofer out of cowdung!

http://www.rahaso.de/foren/msg.php?f=audiotreff_selbstbau&idx=48662&

The bass was very good and did absolutely not stink!

Franz

Again, I am surprized, it seems to me like a step one forward.

I just cannot believe it: It was the illusion to have something better now!

I hooked up the switch, so I can switch between the Digitec and the Lundahl trannies.

The difference between both is very very subtle. Impossible to say, wich trannie is the better solution.

There is a difference: the Digitec seems to have a little bit more bass.

This must be the result of the bigger core.

Now, I also have the chance to look, if the burn in does indeed change something. The Digitecs are burned in and the Lundahls not.

Up to now, I think burning in is an illusion eg. an adaption of the listening process.

Enjoy your Digitecs! You have a very rare gem!

@xaudiox: I still reserved a pair for you! Are you still interested?

Franz

Franz Gysi, what is your impressions for your dac compared to different dac?

Hey man, Foxye

You are asking me a one line question wich needs books to answer!

Just in short:

I like very much TDA1541A DAC's.

And also good TDA1547 implementations, like the Studer D730 and D731.

But I dont use CD's anymore, I all ripped them uncompressed to harddisk.

So, I want to be open for better formats.

And therefore experimenting some time with CS4397 and CS4398 DAC's. I plan also to do the same with AK4396 but did not find up to now easy to do boards (hey, chinese producers, where are you?).

The CS4398 implementations with the output trannies are something of the best I heard up to now in the digital area.

Franz

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Franz,

I played around with that little green Super DAC you discussed here a few years back. Its the one with the cs4397 and CS8416 receiver, and opamp, except my LT1364 was socketed, so I swapped out and tried a few other opamps. Eventually stayed with an LT6172 opamp. This little $80 DAC stayed in my system for quite some time until I bought a Benchmark DAC1 (AD1852?). I need to give the DAC1 a little more listening time, but the CS4397 edges it by a little bit in details.

Anyway, since you have experience with all these chipsets, which chip do your favor?

I have the CS4397, the AD1852, the TDA1543 (x4 via Kusinoki) and the benchmark is slightly behind the CS4397, but the CS4397 has a tiny bit of hiss. The PS is a 15VDC 1 amp printer wallwart that I added a few caps around the rectifiers...

EDIT - looks like you answered the question before I posted this question...

EDIT - looks like you answered the question before I posted this question...

Ohh, thank you!

The problem is obviously, specially with my comparison experience today:

When you miss direct comparison it is nearby impossible to give the true answer.

I am also not sure, the "true" answer does exist in this matter.

Very important is a carefully implementation of every included device in every matter.

And I think less is more.

Most times...
Franz

Here my ugly setup, actually:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A big mistake: I am listening music and switching for and back. Some recordings, the Lundahl is better. Other recordings, specially including bass, the Digitec.

Then I listen to classical music: Just violins: the Lundahl is favourite. Then full orchestra, different recording: the Digitecs, clearly.

Why did I this setup?

I must switch for and back. For and back. For and back...

It's a pain!

:bawling:

Franz

P.S.
I will let run the Lundahls during night, to "burn in".

No DAC

An EMT turntable.

With step up's and an TSD15 moving coil...

There's nothing like true analog, I am sure!

Franz

/Edit

I would never digitize my analog recordings. But I remarked, when you buy today new vinyl, you often get a voucher to download also the digital sound! A very good idea.

/second Edit
Before I shut down for today: my conclusion is, that we should ask Per Lundahl to make a 1:1 trannie with a bigger core. This would be a dream!