Expensive speaker DIY projects on the internet- wrong road?

I see a point thats not being made. Sound quality is has effected much more by the amount of excursion you allow during playback, than it is, how much you spent on a particular driver...
Hi camplo, I had tried to bring up that point in post #146 (here), that one may not necessarily need expensive drivers to get good sound. Nice to know that you share this opinion.

Jeff is indeed missed--

@limono--and others: I agree that a 10K kit seems like something that would at least require a process to go in for (maybe not "insane" but...)

I wonder if you asked Troels and Tony Gee (the only two I know of who have projects in that price range) about the phenotype of the very high end kit builder what you would hear. Are these first timers with tons of cash and visions of outdoing Wilson/Magico etc.?

Or are these ultra-kit buyers people who have built multiple projects, maybe multiple projects from the same designer, trust the house sound and are now shooting for a DIY magnum opus.

That would at least be reasonable.

It may not be the most efficient deployment of capital, but maybe that ceases to be a dominant motive for DIY in that price bracket.

I've definitely spent well over 10K on DIY speaker building supplies. But that's not on a kit, so not really apples:apples.

One interesting thing is that for the past 7 years I've been building high efficiency designs with vintage drivers or specialized drivers. While it's not inexpensive, it's been relatively efficient because I can resell a lot of the divers for roughly what I paid for them.