Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Thanks Nick,

It's all a labour of love as they say and since I'm not so good at doing finishes, that's something I can do.

Dave has tons more than me for sure but I still qualify as an addict.

Attachments

• P4230001.jpg
    P4230001.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 459
So we're a few days into our listening pleasure and I felt like tinkering. I looked at the drivers from an edge view and noticed that maybe the frames weren't perfectly straight, that in fact the 'ears' were bent down slightly. No problem, I'll just get a big ol' screwdriver in there and...

...no, there's no horror story to tell you, everything went fine, I was careful. Put the drivers back in and began to listen. That's better I'm thinking. No leak around the basket. I put my lips close to the driver and although it looked fairly tight I could feel a bit of a breeze. Hmmm, I need gaskets. Off to the workshop to find some foam or WHY. Not sure what you call it but it's like the stuff you use between the concrete foundation and a stick frame wall. Carefully cut out 4 pieces and added 2 to each.

I couldn't believe how much different it sounded. Really, no fooling. All that bloated bass I expect from the Cornu almost vanished. I liked it so much, I really pissed off the neighbours on Saturday and Saturday night. Now it makes me wonder if I should go back and do the others the same way? What a difference.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,
I think you are talking about foundation sill gaskets. Closed cell foam? That's great that they made a huge difference in the sound quality. You would think it means more bass? Maybe low bass enhanced and matches mid bass more? I use the craft foam sheets from Michaels etc. I think those are 1/16 in thick EVA foam - similar to what OEM driver gaskets are made of.

Cool. :cool: I wish you could make a YouTube vid or give us an mp3 clip...
I would love to hear what a 36 in Cornu sounds like.

You know there's only 1 real way to find out.... :D

I would really like to see pics of the drivers with the gaskets though.

In the mean while i'm almost done with the first enclosure. But im still waiting for the drivers to arrive so no hurry there, the shop website said they had them in stock :rolleyes:

So tell me how that works. Be brief, I probably have the stuff to do it but I have a feeling it's not going to deliver what you guys want. Am I missing something? Fill me in.
So in your hierarchy of all the speakers you have, whereabouts do these sit now?
If we are talking FR driver systems, it is either #1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on what you are asking. I love to listen to these. Are they great? It all depends on the listener. All I know is the the big Norske might have even more fun than last summer. Maybe
That might be like asking a father to list his children in order of preference.
:D
No problem my big Norse friend, I deal with reality.
Oh, go ahead Cal. No one here will fault you for it.
;)
OK, I have favourite FR systems for different reasons. In fact I have drivers that I might like even better than the ones I am using in current cabinets.

hehe, That didn't help anyone did it?

If you are in a room where you need big sound and you have only these drivers, I can't imagine a better cabinet . This is for the masses, not those insufferable so called audiophiles that will pick apart all things wrong before ever listening to something like this.

Cheers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you have an iPhone take a video with it and upload to YouTube from the phone and provide us the link. Simple as that.

If you have a digital mic and audio recorder like a Zoom record it from your listening position and make sure the file is under 973k big. Save the mp3 as a zip file and upload as you can't upload mp3 files.

You will be surprised how good things sound through headphones as the mic on the phone actually captures bass pretty well.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can put the channel stuffing in a small mesh bag (pantyhose stocking material) and use a pull string to adjust/remove. The driver chamber definitely needs stuffing. You can pull stuff out with a wire hook through driver chamber to a certain extent. If you used foam core back panel, surgery to remove a small window in channel can be used to remove or add stuffing and glued over later.